Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » State Fillmore Theatre « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our lovely friends at Clear Channel aka LiveNation are renaming the ol State Theatre.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077053104 71

Anybody know how long it's been the State and what it was before hand?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its cool it's becoming a Fillmore. The Fillmore's are legendary. It is still our State Theater, but maybe now it will get a long overdue makeover.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean that the State, that was renamed the Palms, then re-renamed the State is going to be renamed the Filmore?

will there still be young thugs hanging out there and young girls standing out in front with no coat on in the middle of winter with their arms folded, warming their boobs?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One can only hope packman. This was mentioned several months ago also.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the state was built as the palms?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Francis Palms Building houses the 1925 State Theatre that later (1937?) became the Palms, and then later (?) became the Palms-State, and then later became the State once again, only now it will be the Filmore.

We just had an entire thread about this not more than 6 weeks ago, but it's aged off, and I can't seem to figure out the nuances to using the search command. My searches always come up empty for some reason...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, was this what you were looking for?
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/98407.html

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5327
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this is going to be like Pine Knob & its new moniker, the DTE Energy Theater. Are people still going to always call it the State despite its apparent name change to the Filmore?

(Message edited by smogboy on June 04, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So long, State Theatre; hello, Fillmore Detroit

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new sign looks smaller, no?

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a row of 7 seats from the Fillmore West . got it from a collectibles auction at Sotheby's years ago.
they are pretty cool, all beat up, spit, liquor,snot and vomit and encrusted on them and i enjoy sitting in them every night watching my projector.
life is really grand.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fillmore name has no history here. It reminds me of somewhere else. So what is wrong with the "State Theatre" name anyways?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing, except that it doesn't fit their marketing plan.

"It's part of a national branding campaign by the company, which now operates Fillmores in New York, Philadelphia, Denver and the original San Francisco site."

Perhaps sad, but on the other hand, it is nice that with the new name, Detroit is essentially being recognized in the same category as those other cities mentioned in the article.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4495
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The label name on a theatre is of minor importance. Having a preserved theatre is more important. Hopefully the name change to the Filmore will finally get some restoration of the Grand Foyer and Auditorium. They were never fully restored. And also maybe that theatre will get a well deserved tall vertical marquee.

NAME CHANGES OF DOWNTOWN THEATRES:

Adams (none).

Madison (none).

Fox (none).

United Artists (none).

State, Palms, Palms-State, State, Filmore.

Oriental, Downtown, Downtown RKO.

Wilson, Music Hall.

Michigan, Michigan Palace.

Capitol, Paramount, Broadway Capitol, Grand Circus, Detroit Opera House.

Orchestra Hall, Paradise, Orchestra Hall, The Max.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.