Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kilpatrick: Let's rethink Cobo expansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick: Let's rethink Cobo expansion

David Josar / The Detroit News

MACKINAC ISLAND -- Arriving at the Detroit Regional Chamber's annual Mackinac Leadership Conference today, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said the latest proposed plan to refurbish Cobo Center should be modified, and suggested some of the money that had been considered for improvements should go to other projects -- such as regional transportation.

"There might be something else we could do," said Kilpatrick.

He noted that interest remains for a Cobo expansion, but said there is growing consensus that a cheaper price tag would allow other projects to be accomplished as well.

Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano had been touting a $968 million plan to buy and expand Cobo Center from Detroit, but that idea was sidetracked because a chunk of the cash was to come from surplus liquor tax revenue, and state lawmakers already plan to use that money to help balance the budget.

The proposed 270,000-square-foot Cobo expansion would be paid for by extending hotel and liquor taxes that paid for a previous Cobo facelift in the 1980s.

In a wide-ranging, impromptu press conference on the front porch of The Grand Hotel, the mayor also said he would veto the portion of the Detroit budget, approved by the City Council, that relies on the sale of $58 million in bonds; was "excited" that a new offer is on the table to lease the city's portion of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel; and is against a proposal to make the Michigan Legislature part-time.

Before becoming mayor, Kilpatrick had been House Democratic leader.

Kilpatrick said that Alinda Capital Partners LLC has already increased to $70 million from $60 million its offer to extend its lease with the city for its part of the tunnel.

The city had already been negotiating to lease the tunnel to Windsor.

This afternoon, Kilpatrick is to be on a panel with Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson, Macomb County Commission Chairman William Crouchman, Ficano and Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bravo - i applaud everything he said. but i'll believe it when i see it. i will say, i've been alot more impressed with him this term - i think he's matured (a little bit.) heh, there's actually a chance i'd vote for him if his opponent sucked.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asm excited by the prospect of the something else we could do being regional mass transit improvements.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote RE: Mayor Kilpatrick from Andylinn
"...there's actually a chance i'd vote for him if his opponent sucked."

Gee so he could work his ass off for the city and do lots of good but if his opponent(s) were marginal you would still vote for him/her over the mayor as long as they didn't "suck". Interesting comment and thought process.

Anyway...I love the idea on regional transportation!

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Windsor Star, a start to regional transportation cooperation:

Windsor, Detroit bus systems integrate

Windsor Star
Published: Saturday, June 02, 2007

Starting this week, Detroit bus riders with a transfer will get a $1.50 reduction on Transit Windsor's tunnel bus fare. Transit Windsor customers are able to transfer to Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) or SMART fixed route services at no additional cost.

To take advantage of the savings, passengers need to request a transfer slip when boarding the first transit bus.

The $1.50 reduction is equivalent to a one-way fare on DDOT and SMART and is meant to allow a balanced partnership between the three transit systems by offering the same level of discount on both sides of the border.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5573
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very smart and forward-thinking move. More connections increasing freedom of movement is great, and anything to tie Windsor and Detroit even closer together is an invaluable thing.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are DDOT transfers currently valid for SMART buses and vice versa? I feel stupid for not knowing this, but now I'm curious...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.