Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bullets Old Photo(s) 5 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I am going out of town tomorrow, I will post the last in this first series of slides tonight. Here are some slides marked 'Christmas Day Parade' No date, or other clues.
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E013.jpg?t=1180744532
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E012.jpg?t=1180744558
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E011.jpg?t=1180744586
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E010.jpg?t=1180744662
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/756662 -R1-E001.jpg?t=1180744689
Some of these are a little blurry. It doesn't look like Woodward. I will get back with more of these slides as time permits, perhaps as soon as next week. Thanks with the help all.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on June 01, 2007)

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on June 01, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No guesses yet? C'mon guys..! Christmas, 1940's, parade..?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4499
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9453
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures (except the fuzzy ones)Bulletmagnet. Today, the parade would have been postponed because of the snow :P

(Message edited by GOAT on June 03, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think somebody on these boards could ID the street and year just by looking at the type of street lights and traffic signals <grin>.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess Eastside, Indian Village area maybe.?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe has a Parade that is a week or two after the Thanksgiving one. How far back does that go? Could this be Kercheval?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be Kercheval. Looks about the right width. Any one recognize the floats?

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, I don't know if you get as far as Ypsilanti but they have a Christmas parade also

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ypsi, eh..could be, I guess. I thought that some of the best clues are the floats and Santa’s' Sleigh. Or that giant red bull lookin' thing. The last shot has that tall papier-mâché head, kind of like the Thanksgiving ones. The slide did have 'Christmas Day Parade' written on the tray they were in.

Dj_hyper_active
Username: Dj_hyper_active

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are definately detroit street lights.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since one of the earlier color slides was identified as being from 1949 and someone suggested that this looked like it could be along Kercheval, I looked through the on-line issues of the Grosse Pointe News of Nov. 24 thru Dec. 29, 1949. I was hoping there might be a mention or photo of a parade, but there was none. The only thing close was the "Men's Night" Christmas shopping event on Monday Dec. 12th along Kercheval between Neff and Cadieux.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an old lamp pole on Mack Ave. Not the same as the ones on the parade route, so I think we can count out Mack Ave:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /144/407341503_dae62d00e3_b.jp g

PS I just remembered; someone here did some drawings of Detroit street lights about a month ago or so. I recall seeing the type in the parade photos in the drawings. Any help?

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on June 06, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still working on finding this location so I thought it prudent to post the link to the 'light pole' thread:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/101211.html?1179978551
This may or may not help.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the photos you can see large homes. These homes look like the kind you find on West Grand Boulevard. that have many businesses in them, including the Motown Museum. Because there is a median on most parts of Grand Boulevard I doubt the parade occurred on this street, so the question to ask is, "Where in Detroit can you find a street that has similar large homes and no median?" Kercheval in Detroit or in Grosse Pointe don't have large homes on them, unless they used to before commercial development took over.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could this be Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte? They have a Christmas parade. There are houses like this.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, your reasoning as to where one might find a street in Detroit like this is a good approach. I have burned the image into my head of the first two shots, and I hope to see them in my travels. In the third shot the photographer takes a shot of the parade as it travels away from him. One can see a commercial building (gas station?) with two smaller buildings next to it. This looks familiar to me, and I am thinking Kercheval in GPP. I am not familiar with Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte, Dodgemain, but I am open to all suggestions, epically if they host a parade. Thanks for the effort and input guys.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6068
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Christmas Parada happened on Dexter Blvd. from Grandriver Ave. to Joy Rd. and yes it happen around circa late 1940s to early 1950s. The Detroit west side neighborhood at the time were mostly white with more Jews. A prosperous Jewish Community is also located on Dexter Ave.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've thought all along that looked like dexter, in fact I printed the pic today to look at the light poles. I'd bet a lotta loot on Danny.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a Jewish neighborhood wouldn't be the place for a Christmas Day parade, but then again...Thanks for the lead Danny, I'll put my best photag on it ASAP. Jeffrey_thomas, try to get one of the same shots, if that’s what you’re up to. It is always cool to do a side by side now and then photo comparison.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certain this is not Biddle Avenue in Wyandotte. There are older houses like that in places on Biddle, but the houses are more interspersed with commercial buildings than these are. None of these buildings look familiar to me at all along the parade routes in Wyandotte.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my cub- reporter check out Dexter from Grand River to Joy Road, and it doesn't appear to be the street we are looking for. Here are two videos of that stretch of road going north and south:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iLI rmRdNnAU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XO- lNGEHflo
Have a look for your self maybe I'm missing something.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only 1 street light like the one in bullets photo left on Dexter s of Joy - sorry for the cell phone photo.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o66/chowders/streetlight.jpg

I do believe the pics where taken around dexter and euclid but didn't really have a lotta time. Plus that area is overgrown and has a lot more trees now.

(Message edited by Karl Jr. on June 22, 2007)

(Message edited by karl jr. on June 22, 2007)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Bullet - it doesn't appear to be Dexter. I am making my judgement on the basis of the houses on Dexter being set farther back from the street than the houses in the slides. I think the only hope is that someone recognizes some of the floats, especially the orange bull.

Ookpik

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic's....Hey it's Fragile...it must be italian.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Detroityes forums, Karl_jr. Thanks for investigating the location and using your keen eye to gather up the light pole evidence. Thanks for the input, Ook, I think our choices of streets in Detroit should be small. I too, am hoping that one of our members will recognize some of the floats. Until then, I am going to sojourn areas around town that I think might be good candidates. I would appreciate any input as to what you feel maybe a good guess.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.