Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Big, dumb cities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't top the list

http://www.bizjournals.com/spe cials/pages/10.html

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor does

http://www.bizjournals.com/spe cials/pages/9.html

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It remains no surprise that, with such an uneducated populace, it will be difficult for Detroit to attract higher technology manufacturing jobs, and jobs in the finance, legal, and insurance industries. Detroit must do a better job of educating its people. Of course, many social factors make this difficult, but something must be done.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to that list, Baltimore shares similar statistics as Detroit yet, the unemployment rate is very low and it is attracting high technology jobs, etc. A headhunter friend of mine places people in those positions, most of whom are arriving from other countries. So, I wouldn't necessarily draw a conclusion linking this statistic to the unemployment rate in the Detroit area.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miami has a large population of immigrants. I would assume education was one of the reasons they came here. They did not receive education back in their old country.

As for Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, and Cleveland. Stagnant black populations that continue to decline. The poor education systems along with the unwillingness to learn contributes to the poor rankings. High drop out rates among poor young black folks.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Miami has a large population of immigrants. I would assume education was one of the reasons they came here. They did not receive education back in their old country."

Naw, dude. Communism in Cuba in the 60's.
Oh, and communism in Cuba in the in 1980, lol.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mil-town you are starting to sound an awful lot like Danny now....

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm just saying. If you think about it, the other four cities all have large black populations. If I am correct, all are over half black. Now that is a large part of the population. Look at just about any major urban school system and you would be lucky to see 60 percent high school graduation rates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.