Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chrysler To Build New Engine Plant In Mexico « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, we knew that it would come to this. The article is in today's Macomb Daily....which is non-transferrable.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the story from the Free Press.

I don't understand what you mean by "it would come to this". Michigan is the location of two out of Chrysler's last three announced capital expansion projects ($1.43B out of $2.0B):

quote:

• $730 million to build a new engine plant next to the Trenton engine plant.

• $700 million for a new axle plant in Marysville to replace the aging Detroit axle plant.

• $570 million for a new engine plant in Mexico.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 936
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least it is on the same continent.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point being is that they pay Mexicans considerably less per hour than they do Americans....something like $5.00 or less American per hour.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on June 03, 2007)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please BagLady, pay attention. The Saltillo plant will be a sister plant to the new Engine plant Just announced for Trenton michigan. Both will build the same 6 cylinder engines Using the same processes.

This plant is in addition to the two new 4 cylinder engine plants built in the last 5 years in Dundee Michigan. So count that. In the last 5 years DCX has or is building 4 new engine plants. Three in Michigan one in Mexico. They also announced a brand new axel plant for Marysville Michigan.

The 4 cylinder plant also provides engines to two Asian manufacturers. Those Asian manufacturers will both be using engines from those plants at thier assembly plants in the south. The three companies in this joint venture also built a sister plant in Asia. This is to provide engines to Chrysler and the asian manufacturer's vehicles in Asia.

These new engines were designed by Chrysler. Providing engineering Jobs at the Chrysler tech center in Auburn Hills. Some engineering was done in Asia to support the Asian manufacturers applications.

A version of the 6 Cylinder engine will also be used by BMW. Proving that the engine will be one of the world's finest.

Chrysler is doing this to provide new fuel efficient engines the consumer and government are screaming for. Without the new fuel efficient engines and increased manufacturing efficiency Chrysler would soon be dead.

Calling this a transfer of jobs to Mexico is absurd. The number of jobs from these new plants will greatly benefit this region. Jobs are going away because the plants are more efficient than the current plants. These new plants will place Chrysler in the ranks of the world leaders in engine technology. The hemi engine was not a fluke and not just a marketing gimmic.

These new plants will hire a new version of a US autoworker. Unfortunately these line worker jobs will require you to have at least an associates degree. As was required by the new employees hired at the Dundee engine plants.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 883
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please BagLady, pay attention. The Saltillo plant will be a sister plant to the new Engine plant Just announced for Trenton michigan. Both will build the same 6 cylinder engines Using the same processes. "

If that's the case then the Trenton plant is pretty vulnerable, don't you think?

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to sound like a downer or anything... But they'll open that plant in Trenton, It'll run for a few years, they'll hire a bunch of people, and then just when everyone is getting used to the pay checks and living comfortably, they'll shut the plant down, and say, "We got better quality and performance from the Mexican workers, so, we're closing this plant..." I know the big 3's game. I've seen it too many times.

-HL

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Chrysler got better quality and performance from the Mexicans, then the Trenton plant should be shuttered--regardless of the Trentonians' creature comforts and expectations.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

Any other time, I'd disagree with you. But seeing how the Unions have made the workers jobs so easy nowadays, there is no excuse for poor job performance anymore, just pure laziness on the workers part.

Take Care,

Hardliner

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardliners states "Not to sound like a downer or anything... But they'll open that plant in Trenton, It'll run for a few years, they'll hire a bunch of people, and then just when everyone is getting used to the pay checks and living comfortably, they'll shut the plant down, and say, "We got better quality and performance from the Mexican workers, so, we're closing this plant..." I know the big 3's game. I've seen it too many times"

OK--let me see if I've got this straight--according to this line of thought Chrysler will invest $730,000,000 building a new Trenton engine plant next to the one being phased out so that they can transfer (some, most) employees from the old plant to the new without interruption as a "smoke and mirrors" excercise to (eventually) ship all of those jobs to Mexico?

Ahhh, Yea............I'm going to go ahead and file that under "UAW/Union MBA logic"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^If they're smart then that investment in infrastructure will be very portable...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.