Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Rivard Plaza « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Plaza was still closed over Memorial Day weekend, but I was able to grab a few photos through the fence. I expect that it will be open in time for River Days.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/2007/06/not-quite-ready.htm l

(Message edited by leland_palmer on June 03, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice! But, is it still closed or still yet to be opened?

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still yet to be opened as of Memorial Day.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This past Thursday, I stopped and spoke to the guard. He was quite pleasant to us; but clearly, we weren't going to be allowed past him. He was somewhat vague about the actual opening date.

Still not open as of 9 pm this evening.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard it would be open by Riverdays, which is June 22nd. I had a tour of the plaza about 5 weeks ago, and the building still needed a fair amount of work but it was getting there.

As of Friday, the new segment between River Place was still fenced in. There was some brick work being done but most everything else looked pretty much finished.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep going down there myself. I don't see why they can't patrol the thing and just open the pathway, while still fencing everything else off. Shooo!

The darn thing looks fantastic though and I will be a regular user to be sherrr.

Leland_palmer

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks Like Wednesday is the day.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070604/BUSINES S04/706040362

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have the opportunity to see if they opened the Plaza as yet?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JLB morning show said that the plaza and carousel are opening today!!

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on biking to the Riverwalk after work today. I've got my $2 for the carousel. :-)

Tetsua

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMN, $2 for the carousel. Guess I wont complain though, I'll be pulling on its success.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9330
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume that the $2 goes towards the riverwalk conservancy. If that's the case I'm fine with that amount unless it sits unused.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked down to the Plaza at 1pm. There were a lot of people down there.

The carousel was free. I don't know how long that is going to last. It was funny to see a bunch of adults an only a couple kids on the ride when I got there.

The map of the Detroit Windsor area was nice, too.

I like to see people having a good time.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the bike rental open?

Ro_resident

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bike rental wasn't open.

In fact, the whole concession building looks like it needs a few more days before it is fully operational. I didn't check to see if the bathrooms were open, either.

That didn't stop people from enjoying their lunches under the awning, though.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9342
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So like they had it right to make today the soft opening and the official opening in a couple weeks.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The carousel was free. I don't know how long that is going to last. It was funny to see a bunch of adults an only a couple kids on the ride when I got there.

Did you ride the carousel, RO_resident? I'm only going to ride it because I need to feed my excitable inner child.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, can you get from the RenCen part by Rivard to Tri-Centennial Park along the river? Or do you have to jump up a block off the river through that part?

(Message edited by MotorCityDave on June 06, 2007)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get from the Ren Cen to Rivard Plaza. To get to TriCentennial you can use Atwater. Eventually the TriCentennial will connect to Rivard Plaza. Hopefully that will break ground this fall.

Ro_resident

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't ride the carousel today. My grumpy outer adult won the battle.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here yall go ...

This here is a wedding present from my big sis, me and my wife's initials and wedding date.

Nice looking globe

Got to the carousel a little late, it was wrapped up for the night.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I didn't ride the carousel today. My grumpy outer adult won the battle.

Well, I didn't either. I was told it closed around 5pm today. Still, there were quite a few people hanging around. Biking from the Ren Cen to Rivard wasn't easy due to the number of walkers (not complaining!)

On the other hand, the new segment from J. Campau to Mt. Elliot was not crowded at all.

The Rivard guard has a new job watching the Gabriel Richard plaza. That part was not open today.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some shots of the carousel ride from a couple of weeks ago.

carousel 1

carousel 2

carousel 3

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.