Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Article about riverfront « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9269
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice article: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070604/BUSINES S04/706040362

Sadly the comments are filled with a bunch of ignorant fools. The comments show why this region will never advance.

I wonder if those that get pissy whenever anything negative is said about a suburb posts on the freep boards and calls out the ignorant Detroit bashers.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 848
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Press boards continue do prove that we are our own worst enemy. In any other city the completion of project like this would be celebrated.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never fear. my guess is that whites from the suburbs will use even more than those that live within the city limits. If not, then even better for the project.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was all set to get on the freep boards and lash out, but its no use. Im sorry to say that I think we just need to wait for that entire generation to die out before we see any major change in opinion about the city. Its my experience that more people from ages 18-25 have an honest interest in the city and seem to really enjoy it. The 30-70 crowd generally still hates Detroit and thinks its an urban wasteland sight unseen. Part of me wonders if any of these people have even been to a real city. I was in Chicago over the weekend and it definitely has its fair share of bums, panhandlers and crazy crack heads right on Michigan ave.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Part of me wonders if any of these people have even been to a real city. I was in Chicago over the weekend and it definitely has its fair share of bums, panhandlers and crazy crack heads right on Michigan ave."

Ha, you'll get that right here on this very forum. It's like people actually believe panhandlers are a Detroit phenomenon. Detroit experiences are quite tame compared to what I've seen in other "thriving" cities.

Jt1

Post Number: 9279
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really thought thejesus would be on the Freep correcting people's incorrect assumptions and blind hatred towards the city like he does whenever anyone says something remotely negative about the suburbs.

I guess racist remarks and ignorant assumptions are acceptable towards Detroit but not the suburbs.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

Please link to your posts on the freep.com forum where you corrected the incorrect assumptions and racist remarks that were posted...we would all very much like to read your comments...thanks in advance

Jt1

Post Number: 9287
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You missed the point completely. I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

For someone who claims that he must defend the suburbs from nasty comments on this site I would expect that you would also be willing to defend the city from the ignorant comments there.

I guess your defensiveness only comes when someone criticizes the suburbs. The same treatment towards the city (as I have noted many, many times is much more common in metro Detroit) must be acceptable to you.

Jt1

Post Number: 9288
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

we would all very much like to read your comments

I highly, highly doubt you speak for everyone here. I guess with an ego like yours you may assume that you do.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

I can see that you're really bored today given that you're trying to bait me into an argument...the thing is, I've got too much going on today to accommodate you, so I'll leave you with this...I defend the city all the time against stereotypes and false assumption made by my suburban friends...half of them won't even come downtown to go to a baseball game...I face an uphill battle in doing so, but I do it anyway because I chose to...enjoy the rest of your day...I do hope you find some way to pass the time...

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To get back to the thread bashing folks see on the dailies (I'll try to be short): I lived in San Francisco for a few years, then Chicago. Was gone from this area for almost 15 years. Then I moved back, got a job in Detroit. Before I started working in Detroit I listened as next to everyone (living in the suburbs) told me nothing but horror stories. When I started work I walked around during every lunch hour wondering what the hell everyone was talking about. My experience was no different in many ways than those other cities (aside from the abandoned storefronts, and the abandoned buildings). But even in those I saw potential rather than some inescapable proof of “I told you so”. The bias against Detroit is this region is amazing.

People I knew that lived in the suburbs of Chicago actually enjoyed the City itself as a place to go and do things on the weekends. But here, very few seem to want the same to be true for Detroit. It’s really, really strange how people cheer for its demise.

Not that Detroit is perfect, but it is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Especially downtown.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder when they will begin construction on the Uniroyal site condos. About two weeks ago Jerome Bettis came into my bar in New York and I forgot to ask him when he was going to break ground. I think I am going to try and grab one of those first! <313>

Jt1

Post Number: 9289
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus - That's a fair response. I'll concede that.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Detroit bashes Detroit is beyond me. It's ironic that the riverfront is the best thing to happen to Troy, Novi, and Washingtown Township in years.

I think when suburbanites say Detroit should be bull dozed over, they're being literal. Now, why would you want to do that to the only entity that is going to bring Michigan out of the recession?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got the agenda for the June Citizen's Committee for Michigan State Parks meeting. One item is: "Ron Kattoo will provide a brief update on the Boblo Boat at Tri-Centennital State Park." Originally I had heard an historic state-owned boat was going to be in the old dry dock.

That's the only solid information I have at this time but I'll know more after the meeting.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an interesting discussion on this during the Big Five rountable at Mackinac. All agreed that we are our own worst enemy. Some of the points raised was that we do a poor job of promoting our assets and spend far too much talking what's wrong than what's right

The discussion starts 25:30
http://wjr.com/article.asp?id= 416815&spid=16884

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,

We do two things wrong:

1. We don't spend enough energy promoting our regional assets, such as the river front (where it's been done up nicely), bay and lake access, music scene, sports scene etc.

2. We pretend the things that really are wrong don't exist or aren't important, such as crime and fairly lousy transit, when in fact those are the things most outsiders associate with Detroit.

It's not that we spend too much time talking about what's wrong - it's that all we do is talk about it. You could insulate your house with the regional rapid transit plans that have been developed around here the last sixty years, just as a for-instance.

Incidentally when I say "Detroit" I mean the whole region, just like people from outside the region think of "Detroit". (Sorry, Brooks.) The fact that we, locally, have this huge psychological gulf between the City and the rest of the place is something we'll have to work out for ourselves. Not sure how though.

I think the downtown developments - new stadia, riverfront development, Campus Martius and so on - will be a big help.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The 30-70 crowd generally still hates Detroit and thinks its an urban wasteland sight unseen

I don't think you can generalize by age like that. Most of the people who post here are in that age group.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.