Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Grateful to live in Ferndale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend and I dropped his father off at a clinic in downtown Rochester. Nothing has changed-that city is stuffy and boring as ever. When I was a striking worker in 92 I had a Chinese girlfriend who lived in Rochester and encountered some class and race antagonism from her friends and family.Shared an apartment with a woman downtown in the chester. Very unfriendly hostile uptight fuckers live in Rochester. Visited the Kroger I worked at in Utica-Riverland and Van Dyke back in 92. Drove around all the congestion-rode through bleak conservative Shelby township. All in all it was a trip down memory lane that I shouldn't have taken.Bleak crumby yuck. No character. Ferndale, in contrast to the aforementioned cities, is vibrant; clean; friendly, albeit not quite small town friendly and trusting, is centrally located with a comercical district in walking distance from most homes. GRATITUDE!

Terryh

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a conversation with the mayor of Ferndale while at the pump at the gas station, he invited me to stop in and have a chat; been invited to several homes of casual aquaintances. Many unique dining and shopping experiences to choose from.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Terryh, you are right on. I love my Ferndale home. One thing that is fun about Ferndale is that everybody is SO different. It is truly a melting pot of different characters. I've lived in Southfield and Novi (pre-shopping land chaos) and West Bloomfield in the past, and none of those places compare at ALL. They are all automobile-based strip mall filled boring boring BORING.

We should grab a burger at Club Bart some day!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are a tool. It's great that you love Ferndale, it's a nice city, but why the hell do you have to bash other places in the process?

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny story about the Ferndale mayor. Once I was at the Baskin Robbins on Woodward/9 Mile and an older guy just walked in and made himself some coffee, got behind the counter and everything. I assumed he owned the place or something but once he left the guy behind the counter told me that was the mayor and that he comes in and makes coffee 3x/day.

Another great thing about Ferndale is the fact that they have bike lanes over there on Pinecrest.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - I was directing that at Terryh. It's one thing for you to say that the other places you lived "didn't compare to Ferndale", but it's a whole nother thing to make whinny, condecending remarks and stereotyping entire cities as being full of "very unfriendly hostile uptight fuckers."

You're right that I shouldn't have resorted to name calling, but for shits sake, I don't get why so many people can't be pro-urban development, without bashing the suburbs, and acting like they are so much more intellegent/cultured/etc. then anyone who would choose to live in the "sprawling wasteland" outside of 9 mile.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing downstate compares to living up here in Charlevoix!
Its the most beautiful, peaceful, clean, friendly place I have ever lived

Let the bashing begin! lol!

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Ferndale for the last ten years, it is a interesting community to say the least.
Several great eaters (Howe's is my favorite).

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I lived in Metro Detroit for 40 years, it sucked. I am entitled to my opinion just like you are yours.

In MY opinion, Metro Detroit SUCKS!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9295
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume John Lodge was referring to my post that I deleted (pointing out my opinion was Miss Cleo sucks).

I posted then deleted figuring it was pointless to get in the same pissing match with the horrible person above. Felt the need to clarify in case John Lodge was responding to my post.

Cleo - Can you point me to a Charlevoix board were I can continually post how Charlevoix sucks.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss C.- Everyone knows how you feel. Why the need to keep repeating it? Might be time to move on or just post on the Non D. side.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always liked Rochester. I've never lived their but have spent many hours biking/running on Paint Creek Trail and the surrounding area over the years. My experience is that the people in Rochester are no less friendly than people in any of the communities in SE Michigan. Rochester gets a thumbs up from me and the same goes for Ferndale.

I don't know what it is about some of the people on this forum and their need to pump up one area by bringing down another. It kind of reeks of an inferiority complex.

(Message edited by rjk on June 05, 2007)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love you guys, but not as much as I love being away from all things Detroit. I miss NOTHING from downstate. not the cement, noise,traffic,pollution,crowdi ng, bad schools,abandon buildings, police sirens........ya know, in the year I have been here, I have heard a siren about 3 times.
Nope, I dont miss a damn thing about SE Michigan, but I really enjoy all of you getting your panties in a bunch cause I dont share your joy over city living.

Keep the insults coming, its very funny. I am going to sit on my deck, look out over my 35 acres and enjoy whilst you sorry slobs work your fingers on your keyboards trying to make me upset.

Jt1

Post Number: 9298
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you. I still think you suck. It's funny how you are the same person that whined that you would stay in SE Michigan but your obviously incompetent husband couldn't find a job around here.

The funny thing is that you think you upset people like me. I post for my amusement.

35 acres is probably good for you - keeps you away from people.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm heading up to Charlevoix for some summertime camping and looking forward to taking a shit on those 35 acres. Hopefully, I will avoid getting my panties in a bunch in the process.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Keep the insults coming, its very funny."

Whats really funny is that you apparently have NOTHING better to do than to read and post on a forum dedicated to "Uniting the International Family of Communities surrounding the Straits of Detroit" and post how the aforementioned communities suck. Please, find some other way to waste your time.

Jt1

Post Number: 9299
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk - I agree about Rochester. I would have guessed out of all the suburbs that Rochester (from my limited experience) is one of the friendlier ones. I have always had pleasant experiences there and the people have always been friendly and seemed down to earth.

Maybe I am confusing Rochester and Rochester Hills again.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale is nice, but it's hardly above reproach. Schools are mediocre and getting worse and there are a TON of homes for sale. I would be leery of purchasing south of Nine Mile.

On the positive side, Ferndale has probably the most eclectic shopping and retail in metro Detroit and is likely the most tolerant city in Oakland County. Birmingham, Royal Oak, Ferndale and maybe Berkeley are all completely walkable, which is a rare commodity in metro Detroit.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too damn funny,this place is. Brrr, its cold on the deck, 50 degrees up here today.

So many too-faced people, others say they love Ferndale and dont like Shelby Twp, or they hate Rochester, people there are snobby. BUT if I say I love where I live I am attacked.

Now, go back and look, I didnt say anything bad about Detroit til I was told all I do is come here and bitch about the D. In my first post I didnt even mention Detroit did I? I just mentioned where I like to live, like the OP
Others can say that other places suck, but ya better not say Detroit sucks, lol, the hypocrites abound here.

As for my husband, you have no clue. Lets see, yeah, he should have taken a lower paying job so we could stay in SE Mi instead of a better paying job up north, yeah, I get your logic now.

FYI, all his co-workers that got different jobs after the shop closed, are once again out of work because of the new places closing as well.....who made the better choice? Those that stayed or us that moved out of a work depressed area?

Once again I call you two-faced and hypocrites for allowing others to bash on certain cities/places but having a fit when I bash on your beloved Detroit.

Thanks for the entertainment and laughs you flatlander/fudgies you!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Ferndale/Royal Oak/Berkeley corridor. Best place in the Metro area outside of Old Redford!

Jt1

Post Number: 9300
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit sticking up for your incompetent hubbie. Maybe if he had more marketable skills he would have been able to find a better job.

That's alright. We all make mistakes. You just happened to marry someone that is incompetent. :-)

(Message edited by jt1 on June 05, 2007)

Pam

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Once again I call you two-faced and hypocrites for allowing others to bash on certain cities/places but having a fit when I bash on your beloved Detroit.

As has been pointed out before, the name of the site is "Detroit Yes". Start one called "Detroit No" if that is how you feel.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I'm convinced that Miss_cleo is an unemployed guy living in his parents' basement in Westland with nothing better to do than troll this board posing as a woman.

On the other hand, if I had a deck in northern Michigan overlooking 35 acres, the LAST thing I'd be doing is spending my time trolling a message board. Put the laptop away and go boating or something.

You hate Detroit. No shit. We get it. Seriously, we do. Go away.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4473
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is Deja Vu. We already knew a lot of what the views are of and about people on this forum...

1) Outer ring burbs suck compared to inner ring burbs.
2) Detroit, Inner ring burbs and Outer ring burbs suck compared to Charlevoix (Miss Cleo's version of Utopia).
3) Terry had a Chinese girlfriend.

Yawn... must be a slow news day, since all of the above has been stated before... :-(

Sorry to sound cranky, but some threads need to die a quick death!

(Message edited by Gistok on June 05, 2007)

Pam

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3) Terry had a Chinese girlfriend.

But he did not mention her age and measurements this time. That's a change! :-)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the Ferndale thread?

Ferndale is a pretty cool place to live. In the grand scheme of things (United States) Ferndale is not that great of a place. However, place Ferndale in the metro Detroit area and its way better then most other options.

In a vacuum Detroit is probably the best place to live. However, it’s tough to risk 100k plus investment and buy a house in the city given its leadership and current situation.

Ferndale offers cheap housing in an accessible location. The residence of Ferndale are relatively young and open-minded. A new library is being built which shows cultural progress. You can still buy a house for 100k-120k within walking distance to 9 and Woodward. In terms of real estate, I see Ferndale turning into a smaller Royal Oak type area…

Ferndale needs to start dealing with their below average public schools. I have noticed a lot of young couples buying the shit out of Ferndale homes…Soon these couples will have children…Will they allow them to attend Ferndale schools or not? As it stands I think my son/daughter might be headed towards a private education…K-8. That hurts to say because I’m a public school teacher.

Currently, Ferndale has a lot of houses for sale but so does Royal Oak.

Viva Ferndale

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, its nice to know that any amount of trash i put on the curb will be removed. Last week I put out an entire curb full of trash.
I had 4 gigantic bushes, recycling, Ace yard bags, and 3 regular garbage cans all removed by the time i came home from work.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ferndale is nice, but it's hardly above reproach. Schools are mediocre and getting worse and there are a TON of homes for sale. I would be leery of purchasing south of Nine Mile. "

I moved from Rochester (Which is nice, but the traffic, and ability to get in and out of the place is sheer hell it can literally take hours). I purchased south of Nine Mile, and I too was leery at first, however in seven years, I have not had a _single_ incident of crime. In fact the home alarm has never gone off in 5 years. The only time a I did have a problem was when my truck was broken into in Rochester (of all places), by a neighborhood spoiled brat. I have great neighbors, and a great home, that was a better value than other areas.

When I leave on vacation, the police come by and check the place several times per week- no charge for this service. Few places offer that. My father who lives far out in the country, near Jackson, has had his house broken into twice while on vacation. Isolated places like this have become a perfect target for thieves, as they know there are few neighbors around, and thus a lower chance of getting caught.

Moving there has been wonderful, I love the people (laid back), the restaurants,etc. The best part is the ability to get anywhere in the metro area rather quick, as compared with Rochester. The new bike lanes are great, although I miss the Paint Creek Trail. A true gem in the metro area.

The schools are mediocre, not the worst, but not great either. They are however improving, but yes, they do need help. As for homes for sale, There are a TON of homes on the market everywhere. For example, currently there are over 6000 homes for sale in the Gross "Pointes" (collectively) alone. This is certainly not isolated to Ferndale. Actually where real estate has stalled the highest, are the 500K McMansions that have bloated the market and are moving least. Now is a great time to buy a home anywhere in the metro area.

Moving to Ferndale was better than I imagined.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well welcome Cinder! Now you, me, and TerryH all have to have a beer and burger at Bart's.

PS, the schools could be better, but they are a lot better than they were. To quote brooklyn:

"have noticed a lot of young couples buying the shit out of Ferndale homes…Soon these couples will have children"

That's exactly WHY the schools will continue to improve there. As long as these young couples stay involved in the community and with their children.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the house band at Bart's.

Cinderpath

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:39 pm:
Well welcome Cinder! Now you, me, and TerryH all have to have a beer and burger at Bart's.

Indeed! A Ferndale get together is in order :-) Club Bart is a great place! The house band on Fri & Sat is cool too.

PS, the schools could be better, but they are a lot better than they were. To quote brooklyn:

"have noticed a lot of young couples buying the shit out of Ferndale homes…Soon these couples will have children"

That would be us- We just adopted a baby girl from China, a typical, (If there is such a thing) "Ferndale" family- Wife from Europe, Me from Michigan, but lived many places, and joining us now a Chinese girl who will grow up speaking English and German, and hopefully Chinese :-) Looking forward to a beer-
Cheers-

Johnlodge

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed one thing when buying my house in Ferndale: There could be two houses IN Ferndale basically across the street from each other. If one was in Ferndale school district, and one in Hazel Park school district, and they were basically the same house, you'd be paying at least $30k more for the Ferndale schools house. Which, of course, I did.

(Message edited by johnlodge on June 05, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Ferndale more than Royal Oak, for what that's worth.

Jt1

Post Number: 9304
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale is also doing a nice job with 9 Mile west of Woodward. Any ideas if they plan to extend that strip further down or in another direction, etc.

Jt1

Post Number: 9305
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ferndale is nice, but it's hardly above reproach. Schools are mediocre and getting worse and there are a TON of homes for sale. I would be leery of purchasing south of Nine Mile.

The metro Detroit solution. Either try to improve the neighborhood or run farther away. Too bad running farther away tends to win. That is one of the many reasons that this region and state are in the situation that they are in.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

in 92 I had a Chinese girlfriend

There should be a thread (or a book?) on this.
"Foreign Chicks I've Banged" by Terryh.

Is it just me, or has 300 of his 328 posts mentioned some girl (usually not white) that he has dated/had sex with?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Cinderpath about Rochester. The town is very nice but the traffic is brutal. The combination of traffic and distance from other commercial and business centers seems to isolate the place.

Ferndale presents a fascinating test case for this region. The town is centrally located to other attractions in the area, its urban street grid and proximity to freeways prevent traffic congestion, it has succeeded in developing a thriving retail/restaurant/entertainmen t district, and it is relatively affordable. The test is whether the city can maintain its momentum given the average to below average achievement levels of the school district. (Achievement levels of the school district is one reason that the city is affordable.) Ferndale is the rare school district in the state that is not at least 90% white or 90% black. It is also very rare for an established school district with relatively stable enrollment to significantly improve its achievement levels.

So what will happen? Can the city grow and prosper as a promising example of diversity, as well as a successful antidote to sprawl? Or will mediocre schools lead to other problems that put the brakes on the prosperity?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be surprised if Ferndale schools are really as bad as most on this forum seem to think. Maybe their average test scores are a bit lower than in other districts, but most Ferndale graduates I've known are intelligent, articulate people with some awareness of world issues. More than I can say about the 4.0 students at the shining-star high schools of north Oakland. Then again, maybe that's the city more than the school system.

Mthouston

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear the grade schools leave a lot the be desired, My wife and I toured 3 of them when my kid was ready for kindergarten. One was very nice but had a lottery system to get into( I didn't win that lottery either) the other 2 were not great.
So off the Catholic school he went...

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when is the lovely and amicable miss_cleo going to finally get banned from this site for her off-topic and off-color musings?

tourette syndrome?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard Hazel Park Schools are better anyway. They have a brand new Junior High and updated HS.

I'd be surprised if home prices varies that much in Ferndale based on school district.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.... I don't know what to say other than they do. Looked at a bunch of them.

Crawford

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give me the lowdown on Ferndale neighborhoods?

I would assume prices are higher towards Pleasant Ridge/RO/Huntington Woods and lower towards Detroit and Oak Park. Does this mean north of 9 is much more expensive than south of 9? What about east/west demarcations? Seems to me that East of Woodward is a little nicer than West of Woodward. Any areas to avoid?

I'm helping a friend look for a home in South Oakland, and he has been largely confining his search to still-overpriced Royal Oak.

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let breeders live somewhere else. Why does the only definition of a viable community mean you have to attract people with kids and spend zillions to maintain a school district? Why is it a given that the only financially viable communities are those with "families" (i.e. - two heterosexual people, married, with 2.5 children) with a "family friendly" climate? Why not attract a different clientele without the demands/needs/"family values" attributes that the vast majority of "families" represent: TV-watching, sports-watching loving zombies who generally don't pay attention to what's going on in the world other than "American Idol." Many contribute little to an adult level of sophistication when it comes to interesting, engaged, civil society beyond "children's activities." That's fine, but I don't think every community has to have children/K-12 focused foundations.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, here's what I discovered in my recent house hunting.
(I know I am bound to upset some people with this, I really apologize if I do!)

Any of this area is great.

Stay West of Hilton and the railroad tracks. Stay North of the Cemetary. As far as the West end near Oak Park, it's pretty nice over there too if you stay far enough North of 8 mile. Royal Oak TWP is NOT nice, give yourself some distance from it. As far as prices, they will be lower typically outside of the area I've circled. Past the tracks/Hilton on the East side is Hazel Park school district, those houses are significantly cheaper, but the houses there are not well taken care of for the most part.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 554
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafeyette, let's embrace all walks of people if they are willing to be good neighbors and good friends, ok? "Breeders", Gays, White, Black, whoever, the fact that they all live together peacefully in Ferndale is what makes it as nice as it is.

Gistok

Post Number: 4476
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette, I assume you are gay, right? "Breeders" is just as derogatory to straight people as "fags" or "faggots" are to gays.

If there were no "breeders" there would be no gays!!

If you want a purer gay enclave, move to Sagautuck on Lake Michigan, to the Castro in San Francisco, Greenwich Village in NYC, Provincetown on the Cape, or Key West.

But Ferndale is for everyone, straight or gay!

Mthouston

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But Ferndale is for everyone, straight or gay!

Well said Gistok

Mthouston

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps maybe a Ferndale forum members night-o-drinking (or something else) might be in order?
Just a thought..

I do hate to drink alone....:-)

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the "Dales" section of Ferndale - home prices have been steady, houses don't stay on the market too long, and it is safe. The homes are "newer" than those closer downtown - mostly late 1940's / 1950's bungalows. Well maintained homes, though.

(The Dales are north of 8 Mile, south of Marshall, east of Livernois, west of Allen - contains the streets Farmdale, Flowerdale, Gardendale, and Meadowdale, hence the name)

Terryh

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great John Lodge-haven't eaten at Barts in awhile: great breakfasts. Ferndale is worker friendly and has many professionals, teachers etc. on and around Cambourne. Many small parks. Ive met and dated several women around the nine mile area so yeah it is gay and straight friendly. I purchased a year membership for $35 bucks at Affirmations (gay-lesbian but open to everyone community center) so I have unlimited internet access (where I am typing this) and could care less what anyone thinks of me for coming in this place. Fuck em.

Terryh

Post Number: 335
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of these loud obnoxious 'sissies' are getting on my nerves a little bit-snapping their fingers and prancing around.

All in all there is a great mix of people.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the information, fellow posters. We may be moving from Macomb County in the next year or two, hoping to get a little closer to hubby's employer in Livonia, but not wanting to go that far west and be away from the grandkids. Ferndale is beginning to sound like a very good option. We both grew up in Berkley/Huntington Woods, so it would be almost like coming home again!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Perhaps maybe a Ferndale forum members night-o-drinking (or something else) might be in order? Just a thought.. "

Sounds like a great idea to me. We'll have to take this over to CONNECT and work it out, eh?

Rokk, know the area well. Glad you like it!

Terryh, no doubt to everything you said. Nobody should feel out of place anywhere in the Fern.

Cinderpath

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette, writes this "enlightened" piece: "Let breeders live somewhere else. Why does the only definition of a viable community mean you have to attract people with kids and spend zillions to maintain a school district? Why is it a given that the only financially viable communities are those with "families" (i.e. - two heterosexual people, married, with 2.5 children) with a "family friendly" climate? Why not attract a different clientele without the demands/needs/"family values" attributes that the vast majority of "families" represent: TV-watching, sports-watching loving zombies who generally don't pay attention to what's going on in the world other than "American Idol." Many contribute little to an adult level of sophistication when it comes to interesting, engaged, civil society beyond "children's activities." That's fine, but I don't think every community has to have children/K-12 focused foundations."

Thanks for reminding everyone that close-minded people are part of every group, not just Nascar watching rednecks. Not only is your comment short sighted, it actually borders on stupidity from someone who I would hope to be open minded. (supposing your a homosexual, or "different"). FYI- Sexual orientation should be a non- issue, and your comment that "Breeders" or in my case, adopters, are "TV-watching, sports-watching loving zombies who generally don't pay attention to what's going on in the world other than "American Idol", is in fact a generalization, and on many levels baseless.

I don't have cable TV, there is a very real possibility that I have out-read, out-traveled, and can probably out cook you (or at least have fun doing it:-), I have lived in different, foreign cultures and I suspect I am little more active, and aware of world issues than you might think for being "a breeder". But why make an issue of it? If there is one thing I cannot stand, are people who generalize and stereotype, worse are people who are stereotyped, and continue to do it themselves.

It is comments like these, that create separation in society and culture and promotes the sort of unsophisticated culture you supposedly despise. As they say though, you are either part of the problem, or part of the solution.

As for children and schools, lets see: Children are our future, and they will someday have to take care of us, so I would say that it is probably a good idea that it be a priority of a society, regardless of ones lifestyle, to advance the goals of that. After all, even gay kids deserve a good education, even if their parents are "Breeders". I guess we can't help how we "turned out" . After all, a bad education, might lead one to close minded thinking, surely you can't be in favor that.......................... ....

Terryh

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great response time by the police also. Caught a guy trying to steal a truck parked at a collision shop on Marshall while his friend lurked nearby-called the fuzz and they were there in a hot second; my ex live in girlfriend had issues with anger and agression Ferndale police were prompt.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge is downing hazel park now. Thankfully I'm not offended by that.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow--this thread is very adolescent. I can safely say as an observer that I really see no difference in Ferndale or Rochestor. They are both suburbs and frankly, both seem very boring. Not that I am criticizing anyone in them. I guess if I HAD to live in a suburb of Detroit, it would be Hamtramck. Nothing else there comes close to its character and originality. Ferndale, Royal Oak, Rochestor: move out of Detroit for awhile guys and then come back for a visit. They really aren't much to write home about.

Swingline

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette raises a good point about undue focus on equating a desireable community with how well a community serves the traditional family household. Communities exist to do more than just serve the needs of breeders. Some of his generalizations have more than a grain of truth as well.

But when it comes to suburban communities, property values stay in lockstep with school achievement. It's just a fact. If schools decline, neighborhoods tend to decline. If neighborhoods decline, commercial districts tend to decline. Decline also breeds crime which breeds more decline and so on. Even non-breeders don't find declining cities and neighborhoods desireable places to live. Highland Park has an urban built environment similar to Ferndale's and it is similarly centrally located. Yet it's property values will never significantly recover unless achievement at its schools dramatically improves.

Terryh

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has some interesting ethnic flavors with Under The Eagle Polish restaurant; small Bengali markets and eateries etc. It seems to have become quite rough tough and dingy. I got a lot of negative vibes on my last visit. There are also some cool second hand record and clothing stores.

Cinderpath

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette raises a good point about undue focus on equating a desireable community with how well a community serves the traditional family household. Communities exist to do more than just serve the needs of breeders. Some of his generalizations have more than a grain of truth as well.

I fail to see how a good education system only serves the "traditional values" crowd. Like you re-state though, it is proven time and again, what a poor education system will bring, and "sophistication" is certainly not one of them.

Detsterdale
Username: Detsterdale

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I've been living in the eastern part of Ferndale for about 8 months and it has its pros and cons as opposed to any of the streets closer to 9 & Woodward. I've listed my pros & cons on living in eastern Ferndale.

Pros: Less street traffic, more street parking, not as noisy at closing time, freeway access.

Cons: Farther from the Downtown area, having to explain to friends and family that Ferndale extends east past Hilton again and again! Did I mention that it also farther from the downtown area?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spermdale's for fags. And they can have it.

Detsterdale

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real nice.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I grew up in Ferndale in the 60's (in "the Dales"), have visited back on several occasions and have found the area remarkably stable.

Things got pretty iffy back in the late 70's with the massage parlor (now W.A.B) and porn theatre (now Magic Bag), but the business district has rebounded nicely (even though Sams Jams has long departed, sniff sniff).

Point is that the town could have gone way downhill, but didn't. Whether that's due to a "gay influence" or not, I guess I don't care. When I look and what happened to my Dad's neighborhood around Leland and Dubois (lower east side) and consider that the neighborhood of my youth is still intact, it makes me happy.

(Message edited by waz on June 05, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry_h, I hope that you take our ribbing you with a good nature. Many of the women on this forum probably do find your descriptive choices in women somewhat offensive.

But I bet that if your true life story were in a DVD/Video, half the men on this forum would probably go rent it (likely finding it in the back room at the Video store!) :-)

Jt1

Post Number: 9318
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 2 cents in the breeders/non-breeders argument:

Cities structure services around families and schools are an important factor for stability of a neighborhood because families offer more stability for a neighborhood.

I am all for structuring areas for non-family activities and not making every community family friendly but my guess (with no facts on hand) is that families stay in the same home and same community much longer than single people or married couples without children.

Cities may not be planning just for families but see families as a way to maintain stability.

Just my opinion.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lafayette, I assume you are gay, right? "Breeders" is just as derogatory to straight people as "fags" or "faggots" are to gays.

No, it's not. Not even close.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Spermdale's for fags. And they can have it.

Thanks, and we've gladly taken it. Of course, this does help clarify why so many of "us" refer to so many of "you" as breeders...I leave that "turning the other cheek" crap to you Christians....

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I love the house band at Bart's"....They rock!

In terms of Ferndale neighborhoods...
When I was buying my house I must have looked at over 70 houses in a variety of neighborhoods…Honestly, you could not find anything under 100k that was move in ready. On the rare occasion you did find a good house under 100k it was only 725sqft. If you look long enough you can get a great deal as my wife and I did.

Houses start to loose value (not much) south of Marshall...However, Don’t let the Marshall divide fool you...Its totally safe all the way to 8 mile. In fact those houses are by far the best values in Ferndale. South of Marshall you get the most for your dollar. I live one block south of Marshall and have never had a problem…My neighborhood has some rental properties but the majority is young professionals… In terms of Ferndale everything is “safe”…

Ferndale is an up and coming community of young professionals…As mentioned before when this group of people start sending children to schools things will change. I know I will be militant in my methods to see that my son or daughter gets a solid education. I get the vibe that people in Ferndale care about the city and want it to succeed.

My only advice to people buying a house in Ferndale is to stay west of Hilton…

Viva Ferndale

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferntruth,

"Spermdale's for fags. And they can have it. "

It's awful to say but it's pretty funny as is the term "breeders"...hahahha

We ferndale residents have to work hard to keep the city clean and progressive. We did a good job at passing the library millage but we cannot stop there. Lets keep marching forward!

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My only advice to people buying a house in Ferndale is to stay west of Hilton…"

Hey-I live East of Hilton and North of Woodward Heights, and I wouldn't trade places with the homes immediately West of mine (and Hilton) for anything!

I can't say enough good things about living in Ferndale. I just wish that the last holdouts of the losers who moved here in the '70's (when you could get a house like mine for nothing) would leave my neighborhood. Things would be a lot nicer if 5 0r 6 houses on my block would turn over...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you. I'm greatful to live in Detroit.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm,
My bad, there is nothing wrong with the east side of Hilton...Generally speaking Ferndale schools have the perception of being a little better then HP schools. Its really not that big of a deal.

I also agree if i could turn 2 houses over on my block i would be happy...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Good for you. I'm greatful to live in Detroit."

Well good! Nothing at all wrong with that.

"Things would be a lot nicer if 5 0r 6 houses on my block would turn over..."

There's only one on my block that hasn't been fixed up recently, but the tennant is a long time renter. Tough situation. I guess there's bound to be somebody.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ugh- miss cleo is like the kid on the playground who says "my toy is better than your toy."

who gives a damn? detroit is great and charlevoix is great. to each their own.

Zimm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Zimm, My bad, there is nothing wrong with the east side of Hilton...Generally speaking Ferndale schools have the perception of being a little better then HP schools. Its really not that big of a deal. "

I've always been under that perception as well, and in my 5 years at my house, I I was always surprised at just how few children there were in my neighborhood. That is, until recently. The past 2 years, there has been a noticeable increase in kids on my block and the surrounding ones. I know some were in rentals, and they come and go, but a number are from owner-occupied houses. I'm sure the housing stock has something to do with the overall low number of kids, being that most of my block is comprised of 2 bedroom houses, and the adjacent blocks a mix of 2 and small 3 bedrooms.

Since I don't have kids, the school district thing has never been a problem for me. But if Ferndale School System were to annex(or whatever they do) this area, I would have no complaints.

Detsterdale

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Zimm -

I live at Woodward Heights and Hilton. Where are you?

Zimm

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Zimm -

I live at Woodward Heights and Hilton. Where are you?"

Browning, East of Hilton

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought everyone on here lived in the burbs that bash Detroit and after seeing this post most of you do!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever Granmother...

Opinions based on evidence…Whats the problem?Detroit is making progress…If a few more things were in place I would have no problem moving into the city. When I see more evidence of positive change I will move.

Whats wrong with talking a little shiza about a Detroit?

Pipe down Sparky.

What do things look like from that tall horse you are ridding?

Waz

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with that post, Granmont?
Just because someone lives in the suburbs they bash Detroit?
Read this thread. There is no mention of Detroit; its suburbs against suburbs. Or is there something "coded" that I'm missing?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier it was mentioned that 6000 homes are for sale in the pointes. I checked and there are 19378 housing units in the GP's. I find it hard to believe that almost 1/3 of the homes there are for sale!

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 902
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its really impressive what Ferndale had done in the last 10 years. I especially admire the decision to remove that butt-ugly parking on the median of Woodward. Such a wise move -- and so out of character with the uber-auto mentality of southeast michigan. Someone clearly had vision and guts. And of course the city has prospered even without the parking and fact probably in part because the parking was removed.

Waz

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent point, Ray.
I forgot about that move, but you are right - it has improved the look of the city greatly.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most irresponsible and misinformed thread forum I've seen in my lifetime. Those that believe Ferndale is "up and coming" are most definitely former residents of Detroit. Ferndale CAME AND WENT and I have seen it with my own two eyes. The former "gay mecca" of Michigan doesn't even have a gay bar anymore. I've seen, firsthand, the former "diverse" establishments taken over (and you know damn well what I mean). DO credit the gay culture for making something of it while it lasted, even though it wasn't really anything but Detroit without bars on every window and door - yippee! This trend is happening where I live now - yuppie wannabe's (and "others") taking over what gay people made nice. I've read the former city manager of Ferndale - that made the most impressionable changes in that "city" now lives not far from myself now. In other words - GONE.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont...you hit the nail on the head.

Bunch of people who won't put their money where there mouths are. They all know better...Detroit sucks and we should be nuked we're so worthless, but we're so important we bring the whole SE Michigan economy down. They can't make up their minds.

There are great posts here with well intentioned people posting meaningful thoughts on the city...living or working in the city, what's great, where to go. But sometimes you need to weed through the trash to find them.

zalls I'm sayin' (My new favorite quote)

Cinderpath

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier it was mentioned that 6000 homes are for sale in the pointes. I checked and there are 19378 housing units in the GP's. I find it hard to believe that almost 1/3 of the homes there are for sale!

-That figure was given to me from a VP from a very well known bank in the greater Detroit area, whom I'd like to keep nameless, in a meeting I had with him, and his staff. I didn't verify, or exact areas, because his other figures were in concurrent with what we have been seeing in my work. The meeting was depressing to say the least, talking about the economic situation in SE Michigan. The banks, economist, DTE claim that they don't expect the actual growth come back to the region until 2016!. They don't think we are anywhere near the bottom. Yikes! This is a HUGE problem here, and it goes far beyond the usual lame arguments of taxes and unions.

But that is a whole other topic. Anyway. I like Ferndale, and its people.

Gistok

Post Number: 4489
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't know... I drove thru the Farms and the Shores today, and yes there were for sale signs up. But not every third house. It didn't seem like any worse than anywhere else in metro Detroit.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang Quinn...

I don’t bash Detroit and live in Ferndale...To me, it seems like people like you and Gran live in Detroit but are a little upset about the lack of progress...Lack of progress in terms of VERY high taxes, poor leadership, and poor city services...

Obviously, Detroit is a beautiful city with tons of great people. I think all the members of this forum want Detroit to genuinely prosper. To continually see evidence that supports the contrary to “our” ideal makes things a bit disheartening.

When Detroit neighborhoods are noticeably getting stronger and more stable people will flood the city. Why do you get so upset if people don’t pick up their lives and move to the D? When the city shows enough positive change and things improve your dream will be realized. Until that happens get used to what you have and be happy. That was a theme of this thread...Ferndale residents happily discussing their little section of SE Michigan.

Swingline

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooklyn, you forgot to turn your sarcasm meter on. Quinn uses it to express himself sometimes. He made his point.

Mthouston

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most irresponsible and misinformed thread forum I've seen in my lifetime. Those that believe Ferndale is "up and coming" are most definitely former residents of Detroit.

Well, with a happy attitude like that I'm kinda glad your gone...
Please feel free to stay away..

Swingline

Post Number: 842
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Mr./Ms. Why's comments, it's important to be reminded that gay folks are always on the cutting edge of things. The rest of us are destined to always follow this group that is so obviously more attuned to important trends in lifestyle culture. I've often wondered why that is.

As for the his/her observations about Ferndale in particular, I hadn't realized that the gays were being gentrified out of that city. That is awful. All those "irresponsible and misinformed" Ferndale posters in this thread should be ashamed of what they have done to that city.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops!
gotta love sarcasm...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give up on this thread. Apparently it is TERRIBLE to have any pride in your community. Apparently just by saying I enjoy where I live, I offend everybody who doesn't live there. Whatever.

Never did *I* say ONE bad thing about Detroit. I love Detroit. It's like you can't say one damn thing around here anymore without everybody jumping to attack. A thread about being Grateful for where you live turns into a gigantic argument full of hate towards sexual orientations and personal attacks.

"But sometimes you need to weed through the trash to find them. "

Obviously.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's also funny is the fact that the "haters" on this thread wont acknowledge the fact that Jlodge and most other people love Detroit. Compliments do not compute for some reason, but criticisms are magnified and perseverated on.

Crawford

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL to Why, Swingline and other forumers claiming that gays and others are now being forced out of Ferndale. In the grand scheme of things, Ferndale is still CHEAP. Much pricier than most of Detroit and somewhat pricier than Hazel Park, but cheaper than other trendy hoods. Anyone with a decent job (really anything above a part-time McJob) could afford something modest in Ferndale.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crawford...
Mcmodest at best.
Overall, Ferndale is cheap and is filling with younger professionals.

Swingline

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, you also need to turn on the sarcasm meter.

Terryh

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay $575 rent which is reasonable considering the centrality of my location. There are many rentals on my street but the houses and apartments have immaculate landscaping and folks tend to wave and smile alot. Ferndale is by no means a utopia, but overall my impression is that it is much more vibrant and upbeat compared to other cities I have lived in and visited. I witnessed loud argument type confrontations and have read the reports in the local paper regarding the typical drunkeness and bufoonery one would encounter where large quantities of alcohol are consumed. Most parents I talk to are happy with the school system, most of the problems of course happening at high school level. Many parents express an appreciation of the diversity their children encounter.I see many mixed groups of kids,many bi-racial, hanging out, walking together.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to move back to Ferndale. I grew up there, owned my first home there in the mid 90's. It is a great city with some truly beautiful yet affordable homes. I'm not crazy about the gay element (hey, I'm entitled to my opinion too, so don't even start), but it would not keep me away from moving there.

~Liza

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 23, low-paying job, and didnt want to rent. Gave up looking in Fernale because the houses I could afford were absolutely the pits. Had to buy in Hazeltucky.Last I knew HPs schools were a tad better.HP is much more run down, but I like how low-key it is. Not all the rowdy clubs with drunks and loud people taking over the streets making noise.Those places are fun to visit but when I'm home I want some peace and quiet.It all equals out. Ferndale attracts fun-seekers who boost the economy and resale values are higher. Hazel Park schools are a little better and its more oriented towards residents (with the exception of the race track).

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln - I do have to agree with you about HP being nice and quiet. At night, if I didn't hear the quiet whirrrrr of I-75 in the distance, it would be almost as quiet as when I lived in the boondocks of Ortonville. Except HP has crickets instead of frogs. :-)

~Liza

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.