Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Legend Paul Christy Passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legendary DETROIT programmer and personality PAUL CHRISTY (a.k.a. PAUL CHRISTIDES) died this morning after a long illness. He was 69. CHRISTY, whose radio career spanned four decades, worked with such MOTOR CITY outlets as WCAR, WABX and WMXD. He was also with WCFL/CHICAGO and put WLOL/MINNEAPOLIS on the air as a Top 40.

CHRISTY is survived by his wife, C. JOAN CHRISTIDES; children CHRIS, KELLY and SCOTT CHRISTIDES; four grandchildren; and three siblings. A funeral will be held WEDNESDAY (6/6) at ST. MICHAEL'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, GRAND LEDGE. The family will receive friends on TUESDAY from 6-8p at the PALMER, BUSH AND JENSEN FAMILY FUNERAL HOMES Delta Chapel, 6020 W. Saginaw Hwy. and on WEDNESDAY from 10a until service time at the church. A scripture service will be held TUESDAY evening at 7p.

Memorial contributions may be sent to the PARKINSONS FOUNDATION. Family condolences may be sent to www.palmerbush.com.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he work at 102.7 when it was an oldies station, I think Wksg?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall him at WABX. Was Paul an Air Ace?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Paul was the PD as they dropped AOR for more of a Top 40/Rock format.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Zephyr.
I won't hold that against him now, but I was pretty infuriated at the time.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I occasionally heard him on WJR, too.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln:

you are correct; he did work ar 102.7 when it was an oldie station around 1988.

i recall the timeframe because it was when i had my first back surgery and was awake many times very early in the morning and would search the radio dial for something interesting.

one of his "schticks" was to call into the radio station and give a blow by blow detail of his morning before arriving at the station, ie: getting into the shower, leaving the house, driving to the 7-11 for coffee/doughnuts, etc.

i thought it was very original and humorous.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll always associate Paul Christy with the Magic (94.7) Disco Party on Saturday nights circa 1977-79. My favorite show at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.