Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » IKEA to build another store in the Detroit area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milford
Username: Milford

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two friends told me yesterday that they heard IKEA was planning/considering building another store in the area. I don't have any details but they said it was on the news. Has anyone else heard this? Where would a good location be? I think that Troy, the Lakeside Mall area or near the new Partridge Creek Mall would be good sites for a second store.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right next to the new Macy's downtown sounds good.

jk

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard this same thing on the news the day that Ikea opened in Canton.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps one on the west side of the state. Kalamazoo sounds good. Or perhaps Saginaw/Flint/Birch Run?

I don't think Metro Detroit needs another IKEA. The Canton store is so busy because it's the only one in tri state area. It's Chicago area or Pittsburgh. I just visited the IKEA site and they plan on opening a new store in West Chester, Ohio.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the location was actually more on the East side somewhere. Still in the Metro Detroit area. Macomb comes to mind, but don't quote me.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://macombdaily.com/stories /060407/loc_ikea001.shtml

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4525
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hall Road corridor, for all its suckiness would be ideal for Ikea. I was surprised they didnt build the original one there. Too blue collar? Not lose enough to A2?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 909
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Probably not centralized enough.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about sales jobs at Ikea stores. I need a part time commission job.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A place near Great Lakes Crossing would be ideal for IKEA.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9314
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought people north of that area preferred plaid couches and country kitchen style. :-)

Fury13

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not hardly. GLC isn't far from Rochester, Lake Orion, Oxford, Oakland Township, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Troy, Royal Oak... it's called access to Oakland County money. Not far from western Macomb County either.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright...I said this the last time I'll say it again.

PLEASE SOMEONE FROM IKEA LISTEN.

IKEA was built partially on the notion that if you build it, they will come. In other words, save money on the store by building in out of the way, CHEAPER locations (to save money) and make a great product that will drive consumers to your store...no matter where it is.

The first IKEA was built in the middle of the forest out in the middle of nowhere with a single road to it. It thrived, and they continued to expand and build on that model: In europe, where cities are denser and traditional stores thrived in metropolises, IKEA built in far-away places to save money.

Well, in Detroit, we have the opposite case. Same theory, just in reverse. A severly blighted area, that happens to be the "metropolis," which is cheap to build and maintain (the city would bend over for them), and a bunch of people in the suburbs who would, because of the novelty and quality of product, drive into the city and spend money.

The "sticks" in se michigan is downtown. The "metropolis" is the suburbs. IKEA, here's your chance to shine: Build a flagship store downtown, make tons of money and create tons of press and good-will.

It would be a coup.

Fury13

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it was looking at Chicago, IKEA did consider building a store right in the city on the near South Side, an up-and-coming area. Ultimately, from what I remember, the store went up in the 'burbs.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6270
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit could certainly support a second Ikea.

Metro Toronto supports 4 of them.

Jt1

Post Number: 9316
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury - The little smiley face meant I was joking.

Fury13

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incidentally, I love IKEA's stuff. I got some key fixtures from IKEA when I was remodeling the bathroom of my mid-'50s ranch.

Fury13

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1: I know.

I don't have a sense of humor, though. :-)

(Message edited by Fury13 on June 05, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9317
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now amid all of the Ikea loving let's remember our new friends at Bureau and Mezzanine.

Different products and different prices but let's support local.

Sorry to be a preachy jerk with stuff like this.

Quinn

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They built in Schaumberg.

See, I think they are thinking wrong when it comes to detroit. If they build it downtown here, people WILL come and it would be CHEAPER for them to build here. They could turn a pretty profit, and we could get more people downtown...a win-win.

Imagine...

Headline, "Swedish Company IKEA Believes in Downtown Detroit, Builds on Reputation as a Pioneer When Selecting Locations For Its Successful Stores."

"We believe in the city, and wanted to be a part of it's rebirth as a center for consumer businesses," says Ingvar Komprad, founder. "We believe our relationship will be mutually beneficial."

Well a girl can dream can't he?

-Quinn

Quinn

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this? Macy's?

Screw Ikea...I mean...what a great addition to the IKEA theme. They could anchor a shopping mall.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8/Woodward would be great place -- accessible to suburbanites, central to serve most SE Detroit, in the city to provide jobs and prestige (and more signs of hope esp at the neighborhood level)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.