Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pick Fort Shelby Birds? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been asked to ask this question regarding some very large birds that now--or more likely up until now, I can't imagine them staying with the construction--reside at the Pick Fort Shelby. The only description I have received is that they are large and black from a distance. My guess is that they are Peregrine Falcons, owing to the pigeon parts that have been found around downtown (specifically the Federal Building) by this same person. Can anyone identify the birds? Sorry, I don't have pics.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread last summer about the birds downtown. Wasn't it decided they were buzzards or something? I'm pretty sure it wasn't falcons.

Scs100

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can check. Thanks for the help.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are (or were) Peregrine Falcons downtown, but I couldn't say what buildings they call home. Maybe the DNR would know.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The falcons are still around. They fly over my condo(St Annes) daily. There must be something they are hunting for in the urban prairie off of Fort and 18th. As far as where they are nesting, they do head toward downtown after they are done.

Scs100

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense, since it would be logical for a falcon to dive bomb a pigeon and leave body parts of the now dead pigeon all over the place. Thanks for all of your help.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there have been birds of prey for the last several years flying between their homes on the fisher and book buildings. they're cool!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many years ago I remember reading about the introduction of Peregrine Falcons onto the top of the Guardian Building.

Whether they've increased in numbers to other downtown rooftops, I don't know. But the introduction was onto the top of the Guardian Building. With all of its' nooks and crannies, it probably was ideal for that.

(Message edited by Gistok on June 06, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The birds at the Shelby are peregrine falcons. Many of the regulars in that neighborhood are very worried about them. We are all so excited about the renovations and hope they don't get hurt or displaced during the work.

You could ask Vaughan at the Anchor (the father, not the son).

So beautiful.

Scs100

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hope they don't get hurt. They will probably move to another building and carry on. Or they just go where the construction isn't on the building.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falcons are federally protected and, if I'm not mistaken, still on Michigan's list of endangered animals. It is likely illegal to disturb them or their eggs or nests.

If anyone is concerned about their welfare, she should call the DNR.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were turkey vultures nesting on top of the Fort Shelby last year. I would assume it's still them.

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are Peregrines nesting in Detroit, but so far as I know they are only at the following buildings (they are monitored by the state): U of D Mercy bell tower, Whittier apts, and the Fisher building. Big black birds would indeed be Turkey Vultures ("buzzards").

I'm an ornithologist working on the last year of a breeding bird project. My focus is Wayne County (last year I asked about pheasants on this forum). I'd be very interested in hearing about other locations where vultures are known to be nesting -- they like the floors or roofs of old buildings, so long as there isn't much human disturbance.

My project home page is here.
http://www.umd.umich.edu/dept/ rouge_river/bba.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.