Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bullets Old Photo 7 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any ideas about this one? It could help out with BOP 3.
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/FH0000 13.jpg?t=1181097662

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the very next slide after the one you just posted in BOP 3. Someone should be able to identify it by the name/address numbers. Are your slides numbered? If so, put them in order and you can get a better sense of what the photographer was doing and/or where the photos were taken.

Ookpik

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ook. They (the slides) are indeed numbered, and I have about a half dozen photos of this building. To me, it looks like they are interested in buying/fixing this place up. In two of the shots, tools and lumber are piled on the inside. There are also a few other similar buildings that were photographed, perhaps with the same thing in mind. I also have a series of shots of a building being built, right from the excavating, to the finished building. I went by the location today, and that place is still there. I will post the whole shebang as I get them transferred later on this week. They are some of the better photos of the lot.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason it reminds me of a building on Grand River in the Rosedale Park area. The homes behind the store are similar to the homes on Bretton Drive, which parallels GR at that address stretch.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3347
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Fred Schauer, shoe repair, at 16361 E Warren in 1940. I see the address on the building is 16933, which would be a few blocks east, but the houses in the background appear to be on streets paralleling the street in the foreground, where as the residential streets in the neighborhood of 16000 E Warren are perpendicular to Warren.

I can't find any Schauer shoe store after 1940. The signs in the window advertise a "going out of business" sale. Maybe he moved to a new location after 1940, but couldn't survive.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, I used to live at 16315 E. Warren for a lot of years. You are right about the orientation of the houses in the background. Could this put it on Hayes? I think near Harper and I-94 the houses do this. But would the numbers work?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois between Eight Mile and Nine Mile.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No parking meters on E. Warren either.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the area of the city with addresses greater than 16800:

Anything north of McNichols/Seymour, and on the eastside, anything east of Bishop. On the west side, anything west of Abington/Asbury. Take that info and drive the 16900 block of the main streets; see what you find.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that address 16933 or 16833? In the larger image it looks like an 8.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the map Mikem, that is just what I was looking for! I will start with my hunches, first, but I do think it is an east side location for some reason. After I go and check out all of the rest of the map first, I hope it doesn’t turn out to be that little street way down at the bottom.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell. 16933 or 16833?

Address

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jimaz, I'm going to guess at 16933. But the other number won’t be too far off. I'll start looking tomorrow on the way home. Now if anyone wishes to be a cub reporter, they can chase down this lead, which would be fine with me. Tell you what: The first to offer proof on the location will win the set of slides for this building. (I know; big deal).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.