Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Freep: Quicken to decide within 60 days « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He said Tuesday that he expects to choose a location -- sites in Detroit and various suburbs have been studied -- within the next 60 days."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070606/COL 06/706060418

I guess this has dragged on along with the CLE season which still continues.

I'll predict Quicken to downtown in an existing building to be named later (sounds like a baseball trade).

Probably ought to speculate which existing buildings could hold Quicken.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5994
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Quicken, come to Detroit and build you 80 story skyscraper.

Or better yet buy the Comerica's Detroit Tower HQ.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the occupancy status of the Comerica Building?

Is it a possibility???

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im hoping the Hudsons site. Parking structure already in place, plus a smaller MACYS attached to the ground level.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Hudson site can only support a 15 story building. Is that enough room to fit all of Quicken AND a Macy's in there?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most likely no. I would guess that the Statler site is where it goes.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope for the UA.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want them to build the world's largest floating office building right off the west end of Belle Isle

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd put them in 'Illitch country' at the ol' UA and build a 8 story mall on the Hudson Block with Macy's anchoring.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lets name it, oh....i don't know maybe "trapper's alley"

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken was supposed to reveal their plans on a relocation in the next two months for the past year.

So in two months, expect another fluff article saying something about Quicken, how Gilbert is yay Detroit and how he'll reveal his intentions in a few months.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He said Tuesday that he expects to choose a location -- sites in Detroit and various suburbs have been studied -- within the next 60 days."

Now do all of you promise to behave if he choses a suburban location for Quicken or do you plan to bash him tirelessly?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly is the max capacity of height that the Hudson's block could hold? How many stories? I have heard between 15-25, can anyone confirm this? Also, I am assuming this is determined by weight.....however, is it possible that this sight it broken up into 2 or 3 seemingly different building? For instance a 20 story tower at one end with "2" other 10 - 15 story buildings?

(Message edited by tkelly1986 on June 06, 2007)

Mattb
Username: Mattb

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he will keep the company in the suburbs. Most of the employees live in the 'burbs, and have expressed (via internal surveys/polls) that they do not want to work in Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will crap all over him if he stays in the burbs.

BUT, I don't think that's going to happen. Nobody spends so much time building up expectations only to have a ho-hum announcement. It's not smart business.

If after all this, two years of hype and secrecy, testing the waters with bankers in Compuware, talking to the press, talking to Karmanos...if after all this the announcement is "We're moving to Southfield!" he'll have egg all over his face.

Don't buy it people...they are moving downtown. Just follow the logic.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would he really be generating this type of hype if he weren't likely moving to Detroit?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

99.99999 percent of humanity would care less if he moved/kept his headquarters in the suburbs. So, him not moving here being a bad business decision? Not buying that one.

I would love for him to move the company here, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll believe it...say it with me...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,

I tend to agree with you. If they weren't moving downtown, then I don't think the negotiations and investigations would have gone on for so many years if they were staying in the surburbs. That type of move wouldn't have been so complicated that it would have taken this long to put together.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't asking whether you guys think hell move to Detroit or stay in the suburbs...all signs point to a move downtown so far...but the possibility remains that he'll stay in the suburbs, so I was asking if you guys will respect such a business decision should he decide that's what best for his company or if you will bash him tirelessly for it...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will bash him tirelessly, but I have a reason. A move from Livonia to some other suburb really isn't much of a reason for a lot of fanfare. It's basically moving from one office park to another. It probably wouldn't even get much press in the local papers. However, a move downtown would be newsworthy. If after all the hype, the raised expectation and everything else, if they choose to do the UNnewsworthy thing it really makes the company look little league and is a slap in the face to the city.

You can't string people along like that and not expect a backlash.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4421
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nobody spends so much time building up expectations only to have a ho-hum announcement. It's not smart business.

Unless of course they are trying to negotiate a stronger deal with various suburban governmental and development types.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2298
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be great!! 4 or 5 thousand relatively well paid employees going Downtown everyday.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 914
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"so I was asking if you guys will respect such a business decision should he decide that's what best for his company or if you will bash him tirelessly for it..."

I will bash him until I get bored with it. Happy?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

That doesn't make sense. The negotiations would have to be more intense if they were dealing with Detroit. The suburbs are already a better deal in terms of property value and taxes than a downtown Detroit location. Do any other communities in the area have a commercial sales tax? Also, the property taxes would be cheaper in the suburbs anyway. The only real tax breaks that could be leveraged would come from the state and that won't happen now because Gilbert threw away any leverage he had by announcing he wouldn't take the company out of state.

The only people they could possibly be going through any sort of intense negotiation with would have to be the city of Detroit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only people they could possibly be going through any sort of intense negotiation with would have to be the city of Detroit."

Or property owners.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9322
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That doesn't make sense. The negotiations would have to be more intense if they were dealing with Detroit. The suburbs are already a better deal in terms of property value and taxes than a downtown Detroit location. Do any other communities in the area have a commercial sales tax? Also, the property taxes would be cheaper in the suburbs anyway. The only real tax breaks that could be leveraged would come from the state and that won't happen now because Gilbert threw away any leverage he had by announcing he wouldn't take the company out of state.

The only people they could possibly be going through any sort of intense negotiation with would have to be the city of Detroit.

They can still negotiate tax credits from suburb to suburb or suburb to city.

You guys are really oversimplifying something that isn't as easy as saying 'I like that location'

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"99.99999 percent of humanity would care less if he moved/kept his headquarters in the suburbs. So, him not moving here being a bad business decision? Not buying that one."

What he said.
I doubt there are many people in SE Michigan who know where QL is presently located let alone know that they're considering moving.

I'd like to see them move downtown, but I'm not going to hold it against them if they don't. Their job is to make sound business decisions that are best for the company, not help prop up downtown Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, I agree. I will bash until I get bored. I'm too lazy, even for spite.

But I will bash...oh yes...bash-on.

GotDetroit, wasting time on all this hype then walking away with egg on your face is not good business. Ergo, it won't happen. They will move downtown. Japanese business owners have slit their own throats for less egregious or embarrassing situations. He would look bad amongst his business brethren.

There, there children. The Queen has spoken. All be calm and rest well in the notion that they will move downtown. After all, I've already signed my lease in their new building.

d

Gotdetroit

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn: I’ll agree with you on one point, insofar as should he decide to stay in the suburbs, it will amount to a clumsily executed PR plan, but that’s about it.

After all, how many people will say “I don’t blame him” when he (if he) explains why a downtown Detroit move wasn’t the right move? I imagine quite a few. And only amongst those people who are actually following the story.

Don’t get me wrong, it's a no-brainer that a Quicken HQ would be an incredible catch for the City of Detroit. And personally, I’m rooting for the Statler site. Right across Grand Circus where I live. Hell, the influx of support retail wouldn’t bother me a bit. But, I can’t see his deciding to keep the HQ in the suburbs as amounting to a “bad business decision.”

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an employee's POV, Quicken Loans is a great place to work--even being located in the burbs... Confer the following:
17th ranking from Fortune--down from 13th the previous year
#1 by ComputerWorld--two years in a row
17th rated by the Great Place to Work Institute

The point is: If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on June 06, 2007)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first two floors of the new building will house a Macy's.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois,

So you propose that they not move at all even though their work space is bursting at the seams? That would be the TRUE application of the if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am too young to remember so someone fill me in: what was the hype like when Compuware was looking to relocate? Is there anything we can learn from the past?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QL has, what?, some three years yet on its lease. And it has three primary suburban locations, no? Don't they have thirteen locations in all? Maybe decentralization is working for them. With today's communications, a firm's headquarters or major branches could conceivably work well in a lunar colony.

So why downtown Detroit over the present arrangement? Is their work force clamoring for change, considering that they appear highly content with the status quo? Maybe the employees there don't want to move to Detroit. In addition, there is no reasonable shortage of office space, considering the vacancy rate in Metro Detroit.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will bash Rock/Quicken if they stay in the suburbs, because of the way we were strung along to expect something big, and because he'd be doing something stupid. Not jumping into Detroit now is just bad business. There are multiple stellar sites and empty buildings they could move to, and they could help the region a ton if they do so. If they don't move, they'd be electing to make no impact for the future of this region instead of a major, positive impact that has the power to further change perceptions.

It they don't move to Detroit, I won't purchase any of their products and I won't tell anyone to (I don't know anyone who has Rock now as it is). But if they move downtown, I'll go out of my way to purchase their products.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Not really..People in the suburbs said they were crazy, people in Detroit said come on down, the city gave them a bunch of tax breaks thinking they would employ Detroit residents, and they hired a bunch of people form the Suburbs anyway

El_jimbo

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those people who live in the suburbs still have to pay a 1.275% non-resident city income tax. Although the 2.55% would have been much nicer.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Quicken determines that moving downtown is "good for business" then they'll do that. Given the soft commerical real estate market, I can't imagine they'd build a new building.

If you've ever worked with Quicken Loans, you know that the entire process is over the phone and internet. I doubt that a majority of the people know or even care that the company is located in a suburb of Detroit vs. downtown.

There is no reason for consolidation that I can think of. Their operations are distributed call centers with a quick turnover rates. Having smaller operations in Livonia, Troy, etc. makes sense, because it draws people who live nearby.

I would rather see an outside firm move into Detroit from out of state than a metro-area shuffle of vacant office space. In my opinion, vacating offices in the suburbs to help downtown is not much of a gain.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3282
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It they don't move to Detroit, I won't purchase any of their products and I won't tell anyone to (I don't know anyone who has Rock now as it is). But if they move downtown, I'll go out of my way to purchase their products.

Bwah wah!

BTW, that sounds like free advertising to me. Such a feeble boycott might even generate more revenue for QL and surely couldn't hurt much, if any, to a national concern. Their potential customers couldn't care less about what some crybabies in Detroit think or want. Some boycotts do just that...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Im hoping the Hudsons site. Parking structure already in place, plus a smaller MACYS attached to the ground level."

It surely wouldn't get any business if it was small. People can stay at Northland for small.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will bash Rock/Quicken if they stay in the suburbs, because of the way we were strung along to expect something big, and because he'd be doing something stupid

Please all they said was that they were looking at sites in Detroit. Nothing more nothing less How do you get stung along by that?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone was strung along to expect something big...many of us are just hoping for something big...Quicken's position all along has been that they are considering numerous options, including an extension of their lease on the building in Livonia or relocating somewhere else in the suburbs...

the thing that irks me is that you guys are now saying you will boycott them if they DON'T move here even though they've actually considered a move to Detroit at a time when few companies are...furthermore, you all seem to be more interested in what's best for the city and not necessarily what's best for this business that employs thousands of people in SE Michigan...if going to Detroit is a good business move, that's what will happen...if it isn't, then say hello to a new Quicken HQ in Troy...

Thejesus

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please all they said was that they were looking at sites in Detroit. Nothing more nothing less How do you get stung along by that?"

Exactly. The only stringing along was done by posters on this site

Jt1

Post Number: 9334
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the thing that irks me is that you guys are now saying you will boycott them if they DON'T move here even though they've actually considered a move to Detroit at a time when few companies are..

A few do not speak for all.

quote:

furthermore, you all seem to be more interested in what's best for the city and not necessarily what's best for this business that employs thousands of people in SE Michigan

You make that sound as if it isn't the typical view point for all of SE Michigan. We have a policitcal struture in the state and region that forces cities/townships to look at things in a vacuum.

OC recuits businesses to leave Detroit. RO recruits businesses to leave Birmingham, etc. To think that people want to see what is best for Detroit is wrong is ignoring what happens in this region every single day.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

recruiting businesses is one thing...all city governments should do that...but pissing and moaning and threatening a boycott if you fail in your recruitment b/c you think you know what's best for the business better than the business itself does? come on...

you might not agree with the numerous clowns here who have stated their intention to bash Quicken if they don't decide to move to Detroit, but I don't see you calling them out on it either...

(Message edited by thejesus on June 06, 2007)

Quinn

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm saying is, as the City of Detroit goes, so goes the suburbs.

We all saw that when the whiney USA TODAY article about Grosse Pointe property values came out, blaming its proximity to THE CITY OF DETROIT for the downturn.

Well, I say to all you ninny-nanners who believe that: get serious about Detroit! Lets build a strong inner core that can help support those suburbs.

Step one...get big business to invest...this is what we're talking abotu here.

Livernoisyard, you don't know anything about QL or how comfortable an operation they're running now. You act like Dan would be doing this just for fun, when that attitude fails to recognize several benefits of moving like:

Operational streamlining,
Investment value (companies are smart to invest in real-estate),
Tax-Breaks,
and my favorite, the opportunity to do something great that doesn't cost more than your current rent, and inspires your employees to be a part of the greater good, to be part of something bigger than themselves, and to lead by example.

That last one is immeasurable, and something you don't get when you bypass such an opportunity.

Like Karmanos said, "Where else can you build a world-class headquarters in a major downtown, on such a prestigious location at such an economical price?"

Thank god we have leaders like him and not a bunch of old crankypants like Livernoisyard...we'd all be sunk.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4483
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he will decide on downtown for his new HQ. He's mentioned in the past he wanted to move to someplace exciting, and downtown is becoming just that. (Suburban office parks are hardly, if ever, exciting.)

Any yes, the article said he is looking for ONE site.

And with both Ilitch and Karmanos saying "come on down", I think he will do just that.

I don't think that he is worried that his employees will hate moving down there. I'm sure that Dan Gilbert has studied the Compuware move, and the end result on those employees.

And by having his employees coming downtown for functions at the Fox and Opera House, it gives them an idea of how nice it can be downtown.

As far as hype, moving from one suburb to another is hardly exciting. He's been hyping this for some time now.

We'll just have to be patient.

The only sure thing (according to his statements) is that he's consolidating his staff.

Jt1

Post Number: 9337
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you might not agree with the numerous clowns here who have stated their intention to bash Quicken if they don't decide to move to Detroit, but I don't see you calling them out on it either...

Am I supposed to call out every stupid thing on this board? Since when am I in charge of that responsibility. I was just pointing out your tendency to use one comment to stereotype everyone on this board.

In addition my quote from you had nothing to do with boycotts but the fact that you think everyone should take the high road for what is best for SE Michigan when no governmental agency in this region thinks about what is best for SE Michigan. You then even go on to state that city governments should recruit which is the point I was addressing. You lost track of the point of my post. I was not addressing the boycott non-sense (since people will go with the best rate even if it is a suburban Rock) but the structure of SE Michigan.

How can we as citizens of Detroit really cheer for what is best for SE Michigan when counties/cities actively recruit businesses away form Detroit.

So to be certain that I understand your POV: We should care more about the benefit of SE Michigan even if the majority of SE Michigan cities and counties actively recruit businesses from other SE Michigan cities/counties. Until the political structure is changed in this region I will pull for what is best for Detroit in situations that is a wash for the region. We have a political structure that does not care about SE Michigan as a whole so how as a resident of Detroit should I expect to not have a zero sum situation benefit Detroit before somewhere else?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>All I'm saying is, as the City of Detroit goes, so goes the suburbs.

Say that again for the slow folks in the back.

I can't even believe this is still up for debate after the craptastic few years that region has been having. Truth is, you're hard pressed to invite outside businesses who don't have a favorable impression of your core. LB himself has said that's the reason he himself hasn't been able to attract outside businesses to Oakland County! The quicker s/e Michigan bands together in rebuilding the city core, the quicker the region will pull itself out of its funk, auto industry be damned.

Nobody would give a shit about White Plains, NY if it weren't neighbors to New York City. Nobody from the outside will give a shit about Southfield, MI if it's gonna sit next to a soon to be completely rotted out Detroit.

Jt1

Post Number: 9338
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Any talk of a boycott is stupid. I agree. In the world of real estate mortgages rate and costs should always drive decision.

I would also, all things equal support a Detroit business, then a metro Detroit business, then a company based out of state. If Rock has the best rates and costs, Rock is my company if they are in Detroit, Livonia or Cleveland.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Am I supposed to call out every stupid thing on this board?"

Nope. I'm not charging you with the task of calling out every stupid comment on the board...that was actually a response to show you how ridiculous you were being the other day when you were acting as though I had an obligation to go on the freep forums (where I don't even have an account) to call out the handful of Detroit-bashing suburbanites

and I was specifically referring to the guys here saying they'll bash and boycott quicken if they don't move to Detroit, even if the company determines that's what's best...I have no problem with any community actively recruiting businesses to move within their boundaries

(Message edited by thejesus on June 06, 2007)

El_jimbo

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for the record, I said I'd bash Quicken. I wouldn't boycott them.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 700
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone think Quicken cares if it never gets another loan out of Detroit? Most bankers I know say they make loans on Detroit real estate only because they are compelled to do so by the Federal Community Redevelopment Act.

It would be great for the City (and hopefully, Quicken) if it moves to Detroit. I hope it does. But, I'm not holding my breath, and to attempt to analyze the situation w/ no more knowledge about Quicken's business plan, financing capabilities etc than we have is like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Great fun, but merely recreational.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd world city -- the correct answer is 43.

I know, I counted.

Jt1

Post Number: 9346
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd - Does Quicken/Rock hold any of the mortgages? I thought they sold them off.

I know a refi I did on a previous home through Rock was sold off to Countrywide. If they are sold off would they care what happens with the mortgage in the long run? Do they hold a level of liability?

Quinn

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say I'd boycott either...simply bash them on DetYes for not moving downtown.

Please...I've got friends there. I ultimately, REALLY want that company to continue to succeed. I just really think that this move would be a boost for them, and help in that endeavor.

Gotdetroit

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3rd world city -- the correct answer is 43.

I know, I counted."

Funny, that's very close to the Ultimate Question's Answer. Which is, as every one knows, 42.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch is correct (he/she cheated.) Sorry, Godetroit, close but no cigar.

JTL: I understand that Q sells all its loans to Countrywide (which is why the mortgage bankers I know can not figure out how they make any real money.) I understand Q has repo liability on most of its loans, but in any case Detroit loans would have to be underwritten very conservatively, and would be much harder to lay off.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to boycott a mortgage company, folks. It's not like they're one of a small handful of lenders, in which case not buying their product would have a huge impact.

I said I wouldn't buy their product if they didn't move to Detroit, because to me they'd just be another lender (and probably not the most credible one to me since I'd rather go with my neighborhood bank)...but if they move downtown then they do something that benefits the city and region and they should deserve some more loyalty, at least from me. In that case, I'd look into their products.

Boycott. Ha. Put words into my mouth.

Gistok

Post Number: 4487
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That "I'll move to downtown, but who's coming with me" headline from a few months ago, is another indication that such a move is likely.

He does have several companies that he owns that could make the move. But maybe he was just raising the bar to see if he could entice others to do so.

And maybe he's waiting for Ilitch to buy up the remaining parcels of west Foxtown . Sharing a large parking structure would be a nice way to reduce costs.

Also I think that the United Artists Building/Theatre is a big albatross around Ilitch's neck. He probably doesn't want to restore it, but tearing it down is an expensive proposition.

With reuse (or even a tear down) for Quicken, it would be a win-win for Ilitch. It'll help the area, and also reduce his costs.

Also, I think that if the Statler/Tuller site is the chosen site by Quicken, I would think that Ilitch would want him to hold off on announcing it so as to not raise the prices of the remaining west Foxtown parcels he needs.

Again, I may be wrong, but the delays could be a ploy to get everything together for a joint announcement for Quicken and an arena.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olympia Arena at the Rock Financial Center?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo, that actually sounds like a name that could happen.

Gistok

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes El_jimbo that does sound nice...

... as nice as a restored 2,070 seat "Quicken Center for the Performing Arts" (run by Olympia Entertainments). :-)

El_jimbo

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Yeah...that would be awesome.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6002
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget the suburbs Quicken. Come to Downtown Detroit and the city will give a 53% tax deduction for 12 years.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems as though the downtown planning commitee has a major plan for downtown revival. Quicken loan office complex could be in combination with a rumored Macys department store. Magic Johnson theater complex could be in or near quicken. This could be the thing will gel well with 3 casino hotels

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said that Quicken was going to be in conjunction with Macy's? I love how people forge their own fantasies into reality.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magic Johnson theater incorporated into the UA/Tuller site with a 18 story office building above it? (20 total)....sorry, just playing along with the fantasy.

Rb336

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still want the floating office tower in the river

Iheartthed

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>I still want the floating office tower in the river

They did it in Dubai, so why not?

Hans57

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If thats the case I want four skyscrapers all towering over 1000 feet.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>If thats the case I want four skyscrapers all towering over 1000 feet.

I think they did that in Dubai too, so why not?

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read the post. I said quicken loan COULD be built in conjunction with other probable developments. if quicken choses the Hudsons site, then its very probable a Macys department store could anchor the ground levels.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_remix

I hope you are right and I have a feeling (dream/hope) that the announcement is in conjunction with others; such as a new areana/quicken performance arts center (on Statler and Tuller site) or a Macy's/Target on the Hudson's site.

Hans57

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Downtown_remix, you said it was rumored. I guess it is a possibility though.

Rb336

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the fact that a major retailer is thinking about opening downtown shows that downtown is on the right track. I'm sure any such question posed two years ago to Macy's would have drawn a "yeah, right" response rather than a "there is nothing concrete"

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gilbert told the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper recently that economically challenged cities like Detroit and Cleveland need "big bang" development -- lots of investment and new companies at once -- to create momentum. One new company every few years isn't enough.

"It's like putting lipstick on a pig," he said.

Therefore, if Gilbert opts to move Quicken/Rock to downtown Detroit, look for him to bring affiliated companies along, too, such as Camelot Ventures, an investment firm he runs with partner David Katzman, and Fathead LLC, a vinyl wall graphics maker they bought last year, or possibly even ePrize, a fast-growing interactive marketing firm in Pleasant Ridge.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070617/COL 06/706170696/1002/BUSINESS

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link to this story which I missed, and appropriately bumping this thread.

The excitement is building. Now it is becoming clear that this will be more than just a Quicken HQ downtown...possibly extra companies, and new MASS TRANSIT?!? You know that what they are talking about is a Woodward corridor or Detroit-O.C. link.

""We'll blow your mind," Gilbert told me."

Let's hope so.

Nobody blows anyone's mind by staying in Livonia, btw.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading something on here someone said something like they stay in Detroit because they want to be a part of something from the beginning instead of just jumping into a pre-made city like Chicago. This is what gets me so excited about people like Dan Gilbert. These entrepreneurs are not interested in becoming a part of something that already exists they want to create something. It sounds like Gilbert wants to help create a city.

(Message edited by mdoyle on June 17, 2007)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, mackinaw, that's what i was thinking. If he was staying in the suburbs, he wouldnt' say things like, "we'll blow your mind". What is mind blowing in the suburbs? Mind blowing traffic?

It is almost for certain that they are moving downtown..although i feel not 100% confident typing that, Dan Gilbert has dropped so many hints to our local media, i think it would be foolish to do anything else than put the hq downtown.

Are we really prepared for what is about to hit us? this is huge, it will lift downtown to a definite critical mass stage if we aren't there already.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God I hope so. I have worked for Quicken for 4 years. From what I have heard through the grapevine, it looks good. I will be able to walk to work everyday if so. Wow.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4285
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid what have you heard?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...you hear things...whispers about things to come. When we were 100% in Livonia, we heard that a Quicken sales branch was going to be created in Troy about a year before it happened. It was trickled down through the managers. It materialized. We heard that we were going to open a west coast sales center in Phoenix, more and more through the information channels...It was all hush hush...but everyone kind of knew that it was bound to materialize. It did. The Detroit move has been one of those things. Everyone I talk to (and I talk to a lot of sources in the know) says it looks like it is going to happen. It seems that there is too much internal chatter for it not to.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11605
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compuware brought some 3,000+ employees downtown to Detroit, and we all saw the impact it has made over these past few years. I am confident that Dan Gilbert wants to be mentioned among the ranks of Peter Karmanos, Bill Ford, and yes, the Ilitches too, as big players in the city of Detroit making a difference.

I can only imagine the impact a company with 5,000+ employees would make. Imagine both a new Quicken HQ and new hockey arena all coming about over the next few years and what that would do for the once abandoned area behind and around Fox Theatre.

Dan Gilbert is too much of a go getter to be moving his HQ to some bland suburb, he's had his sights on Detroit for years. I can't criticize the guy for making such a drastic decision that will effect some 5,000+ employees, but I have no doubts that he and his peeps will be in new digs downtown in the near future.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt it would be for all of the all of our Michigan workforce. We would probably keep remote metro sales locations like Troy and Laurel Park. But I would bet a lot of us would be consolidated to one location. So, the 5000+ people in one area is probably not going to happen. Trust me on that.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on June 17, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 4567
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are Supersport.... I just imagine that a delay in announcements is getting the last pieces of the puzzle (land acquisition) together.

That's why I don't think it will be on the Hudson's block... it's already city owned. If it were the Hudson's block, there'd be no reason for this long wait on an announcement.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "I am confident that Dan Gilbert wants to be mentioned among the ranks of Peter Karmanos, Bill Ford, and yes, the Ilitches too, as big players in the city of Detroit making a difference."

I also doubt Dan has any care about being mentioned among the ranks of these guys. He doesnt think like that. He cares about this region heavily. He cares about streamlining his operations. Those guys weigh very little into his thought process.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on June 17, 2007)

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although, Dan Gilbert is friends with the Ilitches and Peter Karmanos.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 837
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weekend article in the FREEP (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070617/COL06/706170696/1081) about Dan Gilbert and the Cavs was quite interesting... It made some very interesting hints about what he would like to make happen, if QL moves to Downtown Detroit and gave examples of some things he has done for the Cavs in Cleveland...

The biggest point I got out of the article was that Dan Gilbert likes to do things BIG. Dan Gilbert wants to make a BIG impact, wherever he goes, but he always comes back to the D. For me, that means, he WANTS to come to Detroit and so long as the City and State play with him, he absolutely intends to make a HUGE impact.

Quite honestly, this deal is Detroit's to lose. They had better bend over backwards for this man, because he will make things happen in Detroit that only Karmanos and Illitch have dreamed about!

(Message edited by detroitduo on June 18, 2007)

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a link to the article?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's big. I like how BIG it is.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of my favorite points made in this story.

quote:

Therefore, if Gilbert opts to move Quicken/Rock to downtown Detroit, look for him to bring affiliated companies along, too, such as Camelot Ventures, an investment firm he runs with partner David Katzman, and Fathead LLC, a vinyl wall graphics maker they bought last year, or possibly even ePrize, a fast-growing interactive marketing firm in Pleasant Ridge.

And that's not all: Look for Gilbert to seek commitments from the State of Michigan and City of Detroit to get serious about light rail or some other form of mass transit for the Detroit region.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport, Tetsua posted a link above...last night.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the last week or so, a worker has been puttering around on the metal awning of the United Artist building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.