Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Did someone steal the Whitney's iron fence? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all torn out. Chain link fence in its place. Could be construction but nothing surprises anymore...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably construction. There was an article in the freep today about them expanding.

quote:

At the same time, the downtown location will almost double its capacity by expanding into the second floor with a separate bar and space for private events

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070606/ENT 08/706060403/1035

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies, I did not realize that the Small Plates expansion would require removal of the fence at the Whitney.

Must be some expansion.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a good deal of construction next to the Whitney, they may have removed it so it does not become damaged.

~Liza

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9351
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also redid all of the landscaping. Maybe removing it granted access to bringing in or moving out landscaping equipment and goods.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a busy week.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

full of excuses.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 996
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen a crew removing the fence & old landscaping several weeks ago.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city just inked a deal for redevelopment. The Whitney will be demoed and replaced with a brand-new Quizno's. You can't stop progress!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fence is down in Lovelady, Texas. It is sitting in a barn of the fella that moved all the copper roof from the Lee Plaza and installed it on his beautiful home there. It is going to be reinstalled around his house in the next few weeks.

He is in negotiations with the same cops that assisted him in January with the Lee Plaza job to "acquire" many of the large stones and artifacts from the old City Hall sitting at Fort Wayne that no one in Detroit gives a hoot about.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New fancy wrought iron fencing has been being installed at the Whitney since yesterday.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Fancy' as in better than the old historic one?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that it's real wrought iron instead of that cheap, hollow "ornamental iron" crap that is everywhere these days.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first saw all the bushes being planted the other day, I thought, man it would be nice for the guests of the restaurant to see the bustling activity on the street beyond.

But then, on my bike ride home from work today, there was a man urinating on a utility pole DIRECTLY ACROSS from the windows of the Whitney.

Quickly took back my original thoughts.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, c'mon now, the guy was just "keepin' it real"!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, real in my $50 plate of Confit d'oie. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4622
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that the old fence around The Whitney was historic. I don't think it predated the restaurant era in the building's history.

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fence was taken down because of some upgrades in the garden. I was told this, when I dined there a couple of weeks ago. The fence will go back up when all of the work is completed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.