Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why Do You Love Detroit?!?!?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it because of all the Democratics

and the great arcitecure

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777
Maybe that's why Detroit is in such sorry shape-- because of all of the Democrats!

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got news for you. Almost every industrialized major American city is largely Democratic.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, what did you mean by "all the Democratics"?

For me, I love Detroit because of the people, the parks and the history. The people here seem to be both feisty and industrious. That seems a healthy combination to me.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the spell check function only work on my computer?

I love Detroit so much cause I I'm never more than a few blocks away from a liquor store, church or abandon house. What a town.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit for the free crime.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's more of a love/hate thing. I guess I like my house(as well as other architecture). In any other city it would probably cost 10 times as much

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Architecture, Street/city layout, street names, history, culture, Wayne State, City Library, Hog Isle/ park system. I always say that any Detroit relationship is a love hate relationship so I agree with the above post but this thread is what we LOVE about Detroit and lets keep it that way.

(Message edited by fareastsider on June 06, 2007)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the fact that so many people hate it. Guess that sounds weird, but I've always been for the underdog.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit because it's home. It's what I know, where I smile when I come back to, and what I long for when I've been away.

Sure - I'm a girl from the burbs, but Detroit is still my home.

~Liza

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culture, history, architecture, and it gives me an opportunity to be a part of something. Its urban, gritty, and most of all real. It sure beats the cookie cutter homes and well manicured lawns of the suburbs. For my money its the only desirable place to live in southeast Michigan, but im a different kind of cat.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, my very first post started with kinda the same question/title. My response in that first post was also almost the same as here: love for the architecture, the beautiful old buildings in this town and the contradictory love/hate feeling one has about living here.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I was born here.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit for what it almost was.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 709
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, my very first post started with kinda the same question/title. My response in that first post was also almost the same as here: love for the architecture, the beautiful old buildings in this town and the contradictory love/hate feeling one has about living here.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it for the cheap car insurance.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess I like my house(as well as other architecture). In any other city it would probably cost 10 times as much

sad part is that yeah you are getting that cheap house but what do you get for it? Personal income tax, high property tax, high car insurance, a 10 mile drive to any decent retail, and high crime.

I'd rather pay more for my house and not have to deal with all of the ancillaries associated with Detroit.

This is why all of the "steals" in the city aren't steals.

Its a Ghetto Economy through and through.

And yes, I have lived here now for five years.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4490
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, the spell checker on this forum has something to be desired...

If you mess up the spelling of "the" as teh, spell checker doesn't catch it.

Also (and as an someone from the Eastside) this is a hoot... Westside gets flagged on spell checker while Eastside does not! :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit because it has 3000 Wig Stores, 10,000 Nail Salons and loads of great Nationwide Grocery Stores. I also love Detroit for its world class Public School system, loads of Parks and Recreational fields that are maintained to the highest standards and a super low crime rate thanks to their efficient and friendly Police Department.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love - always lots of cool things to do, especially if you have money, and relatively cheap cost of living.

Hate - economy, weather.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because (as Dorothy said) There's no place like home...

And, Because no matter where I go [even before the bad economic times] I'll find Michigan license plates. Washington (State), Ore, Mass... You name it we're everywhere, like roaches...

And, because Detroit is still more globally recognized than many other American locales. Outside of New York and L.A. of course.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit because its has its own identity. When others say lets be like New York or Chicago, we do it our way. I love the architecture, Belle Isle and how we are coming back strong. Detroit is special and I wouldn't trade it for no other city no matter how tough or hard things get. Detroiters are fighters and some of the greatest entrepreneurs I have ever seen. We may have our share of problems, but we try our best and that is what I like about Detroit.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izzadore.. there is a difference between famous and infamous.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great arcitecure...second to none.

Detroit also has a cool cultural under current...A lot of interesting art is being made in the D. Also, the D has produced some great jazz figures along the way.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never have to wait to be seated at a restaurant. (except Slows sometimes)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because it challenges you

Izzadore

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Higgs1634.

The Chicago Tribune ran an article not too long ago discussing Chicago's global image as they prepare to lose their Olympic bid. They sent a reporter to a small village in China and basically asked a person what came to mind when they thought about Chicago. The individual shot back; Isn't it [Chicago] the motor city?

I'm sure there more nationally recognized cities than Detroit. But, outside of the states, Detroit carries a lot of weight...

Every time I've been outside of the Continental United States told people I was living in Chicago but hailed from 'the D' the conversation stuck to Detroit. What's it like are there a lot of nice cars there e.t.c.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I got flamed from some members of this forum for suggested that Detroit was more recognizable than Chicago...

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit for the foundation it gave me and the childhood memories...and the sports teams, food and culture...I have fondness that hasn't subsided in the thirty years I have been gone...

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I got flamed from some members of this forum for suggested that Detroit was more recognizable than Chicago...

They better not be flaming anybody originally from Grandmont, I will NOT stand for that kinda crap.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I love Detroit? Grand Blvd. and Outer Drive; Belle Isle (even with that cement slab-still fuming about it); the wide streets and large home lots; the memories; Mexicantown and that entire area; Hamtramck; Rouge Park and the bike trails; the close proximity of Canada and all of the fresh water; the four seasons; memories: family and friends; Fort Wayne (it could be SOOOOO spectacular); the musical background; Indian Village and the surrounding area. I guess I could go on but it is probably becoming boring. I really miss the flat land for biking.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always root for the underdog, maybe that’s part of my reason...

Detroit also has a great downtown. The buildings give it a cavernous feeling you don't get in some cities. Sure it could have more shopping, businesses and a more balanced racial layout but I believe we're on our way.

Izzadore

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. It's one of those weird but true facts - even if it bothers Chicagoers. I tell my co-workers all the time that Globally and Historically Chicago doesn't have the 'major' historical notations to notch it's belt with.

I hate to beat the dead horse that is the auto industry but Henry Ford and his assembly line and all of the things that come along with that is taught to kids in places like Russia, China e.t.c. especially when the topic of past industrial might is on the table.

And don't get me wrong, Chicago is an incredible city ...

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't brag about the automobile industry. Sometimes I think it has done more bad than good. Just my personal opinion though. I also think that Chicago, like Detroit, has merit and I really get tired of comparisons. Let's try to keep this thread to pumping up Detroit for once.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember loving Boblo Island and Captain Boblo when I was a kid in Detroit! I liked the freighters on the river, too, blowing their amazing horns all the time...

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The freighters still sound their horns at all hours on the river. It is clearly audible in corktown. can you hear the freighters on the eastside? I love the people of this town. not the ones that land on the 6 o'clock news but the salt of the earth folk who make things work.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The churches !

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Windsor border across from the Rencen. This big city, so close, across from the water. Yet, in a different NATION. Where else in the USA can we look across water and see a nearby Metropolis thats not even in our country. At about the rencen, Windsor seems to be at its closest proximity to Detroit, and my fascination never diminishes when I look out and realize I need ID to step foot on the land im physically seeing.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmln: I would not call Windsor a "metropolis"

Even the Canadian government considers it a "medium-sized city"

_____

I love Detroit because it seems like the last American city without video surveillance cameras on every corner.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The open air drug markets all over town . Plus , our crack houses are world class .

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up here. Its my home. Love everything about it despite what anyone else says.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit because its has its own identity. When others say lets be like New York or Chicago, we do it our way. I love the architecture, Belle Isle and how we are coming back strong. Detroit is special and I wouldn't trade it for no other city no matter how tough or hard things get. Detroiter's are fighters and some of the greatest entrepreneurs I have ever seen. We may have our share of problems, but we try our best and that is what I like about Detroit.

______________________________ ___________________

Agreed.

I also ad, I LOVE DETROIT because I'ts The City By The Straights...

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor probably seems like a "Metropolis" to many Detroiters because Detroit, the city and the Metro Area, are so suburban compared to Metro Areas of comprable size in the U.S., especially in the Northeast and Great Lakes Regions. Very little pedestrian activity, very few tall buildings, and very little density, etc.

It's funny that smaller towns like Ann Arbor and Windsor seem so "Urban" compared to Detroit and it's nearest suburbs.

I do like Detroit and Detroiters because they use terms such as "pop" instead of soda and "tennis shoes" instead of sneakers. The proximity to the Great Lakes is a main advantage too.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit because when I travel to any city in the United States such as tonight here in Chicago I see Detroit Natives representing to the fullest. We may have left but we surely have not forgotten. We never stray from our roots and always wear our Detroit Tiger hat's, Motor City and Detroit muscle shirts and congregate at all of the Detroit themed bars that we've opened abroad. Detroit is a city that is deeply embedded in all of our hearts. Detroit is a city tattooed in our hearts.

Izzadore

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could not have put that any better Illwill!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Illwill

That's very true. A large percentage of the people I hang out with in NYC are former Detroiters. It's almost like we're clique-ish... even though we aren't deliberately trying to be. In the fall (football season), the streets are dotted with people wearing U-M paraphernalia.

I'm disappointed in the only Detroit themed bar I have found here so far, tho. It's called the Motor City Bar, and has a lot of Detroit artifacts but doesn't have a Detroit vibe at all. I went in there one day and asked the bartender if they had any Faygo products and she didn't know what I was talking about.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i love detroit because you have work a little harder to find the beauty here, and that makes it all the more rewarding.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

corktown: yes we used to hear the freighters pretty loudly, because we lived on the east side near Jefferson...so not too far from the river.

hey, anyone remember "Swing Time," on CKLW in the late 60s? I used to dance on there, and would love to get my hands on some footage!

also: one time I ran into another ex-Detroiter at a party, and we both started doing the Soupy Shuffle! remember that? big giggle here...

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lake that is beautifully put ...

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill tell you what is so great about this city. We are loyal to our own even when the divas arent. Madonna turned her back on us, now is saying she grew up in BRITAIN, and we still claim her. No matter where you go in life, Detroiters will always claim you as one of theirs.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in the Walled Lake area till about the 8th grade when my parents retired and moved me to S. Illinois. I hated that place and came back to Pleasnt lake every summer till I turned 18. My dad said when I turned 18 or when I could kick his ass I could leave. So... Needless to say LOL the day I turned 18, my suitcase was sitting by the door, bus ticket in hand and mom took me to the bus station and I came "HOME"!. I lived in quite a few places throughout the city as an adult. I've had people say "How can you be homesick for Detroit" Well, Its home and I do and will always consider myself a Detroiter.

PS. The city looked AWSOME over Memorial day weekend! Had a great time and actually felt pretty safe. There were a lot of cops and the city (Downtown) was clean. It sure was good to be home!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Detroit because of its edginess, the strength and survival traits of many of its people along with its great architecture, vast history, its strategic location with Canada and its constant struggle with itself. It brings out the best and worst in people I find and its displayed constantly on this forum. It clearly is not a city for those who want things pretty and chic. It is a city where the realties of life both bad and good are constantly in your face, to me it leaves me consistently grounded, and no matter where I go and where I live, the people are awesome in Detroit. Its an unbelievable sports town where its residents days are good or bad depending on how well their "team" did. Most of all its a city where I feel I can contribute because there is a vast need.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.