Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fairgrounds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a random question...Is the arena at the State Fairgrounds used, or has it ever been used for events other than those that are fair related? Like a concert or sporting event or something?

Thanks

(Message edited by msuscorpio on June 07, 2007)

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a concert there 6 or 7 years ago...smashing pumpkins.

Msuscorpio

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I asked...I thought I remembered some of my friends going to that show. I also seem to vaguely recall that Nirvana played there?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I saw the Shrine circus there 17 or 18 years ago.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, through the 90s, there were a ton of rock & metal shows there.
I saw Nirvana, Pumpkins, Pantera (a few times and went back stage there), White Zombie, Sepultura, Ministry (back when they were good), Helmit, Reverend Horton Heat, and a few more that i can't place right now... have to dig up the old ticket stubs. :-)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to seeing the Shrine Circus there back in the 1960's, I think I remember ice skating on a rink there in the 1970's.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State Fair has hosted many great concerts since 1940, probably before - Lionel Hampton, Duke Ellington. I saw some bands there in the late '60s but can't remember who they were lol.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State University's Men's Hockey Team plays their home games at the State Fairgrounds arena.

Msuscorpio

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't seem like that place would have the best sound being that is it pretty much a big piece of cement. On the other hand, it seems like the perfect place to see a rock/metal show...Dirty, and rough around the edges. How come they don't really have any bands on the level of those previously mentioned there anymore? Too much venue competition?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I remember ice skating on a rink there in the 1970's.

There definitely was skating there every winter in the 60's.

Motorcitydave

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Msuscorpio,
I'm sure it has something to do with promoters, and who they are affiliated with. Contract might have ran out, etc. Plus, like mentioned before, Wayne State was playing their home games there, although I think they play them at Compuware now.

I know Cobo has hosted a lot of the rock/metal shows of that size the past 5 years or so.

Msuscorpio

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya, I've been to a bunch of shows at Cobo, The State(now the fillmore...whatever), St. Andrews, Harpos etc. I think it would be pretty cool to see a show at the fairgrounds arena. Maybe someday in my lifetime.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Confusion reigns in my mind. It's the State Fair Coliseum we're talking about, right?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to several WSU hockey games at the Colosseum this year...what a great arena, but DAMN cold because it's too expensive to heat for a crowd of less than 500.

Motorcitydave

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you are right, they are playing at the Coliseum now, they played at Compuware Arena in Plymouth for a season (or so) a couple years ago I think.

Speaking of, does anyone know if they are still planning on building a rink on campus anytime soon??

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Alice Cooper every year at the State Fair...two years ago he played inside the Coliseum for some reason; otherwise he's always played outdoors @ the bandshell. I enjoyed seeing the Coliseum, an interesting structure, but the sound quality was the worst of any concert I've ever attended-he put on a great show, but earplugs were definitely necessary to absorb all of the nasty acoustic issues with playing a concert inside a horse racing/hockey arena. Similar to what a concert might have sounded like inside the Silverdome. Alice is by far my favorite artist, and has played at the State Fair exclusively for several years now. I've also seen him at Pine Knob twice, in 1996 and 1997. I wish he would play some other venues-the Fox Theater, for example.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.