Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Edgewater Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Edgewater? I never was allowed to go there. My parents would never take me, and every time we would drive by I would just look longingly out the car window and think I was so depraved. :-(

Anyone have any photos? I'd love to see it again - even though I never go to go inside, just driving by was such a big deal for me for some reason.

~Liza

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That roller coaster was so rickety and scary! Probably pales in comparison to today's models but back then oooo!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5359
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to sneak into the park off of the Rouge River embankment down below. The Wild Mouse always did make some of the scariest sounds (creaking & groaning) and we'd always swore it was just going to heave us into the ground below.

To us, it was always the cheap alternative to Bob Lo.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 548
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the roller coaster...my dad would ride that over and over with us..it would change the tough old Marine into a smiling kid again...would give anything fort hat moment again...

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL I was in the same boat as you Liz
I remember in 3rd grade at Harding we had received some free tickets to Edgewater, well I was thrilled, well untill I found out that my parents wouldn't let me go :-(
I also remember driving by the park and wishing I could go.
Have you seen these pics ?
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/amuse.asp?id=301&type=2

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pay one price. Ride all day at fantabulous Edgewater Park!" This old radio jingle has taken permanent control over some of my neurons! One of my earliest memories is listening to "Jack the Bellboy" broadcasting live from Edgewater Park.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A short walk from my house, we used to go all the time.

It's where I saw Bobby Sherman, with the Woolies opening for him.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After they closed Walled Lake Amusement Park my Dad's union started to have their annual picnic at Edgewater. It was pretty run down in the early 70's but we had a great time riding that rickety wooden roller coaster over and over. I was really sad when it closed for good.

Now every time I go to a park and ride a roller coaster I always tell my kids nothing can compare to the old wooden coaster at Edgewater.

Lizaanne

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wykkidx - those photos are awesome!!!! I never got to go, but now I almost feel like I've been there. So sad, the photos of the coaster, like an old dinosaur.

Thank you so much - that was so cool!

~Liza

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father's UAW union of Ford Wayne Assembly Plant yearly would have a whole day at Edgewater open for free to just the plant's employees.

One memory I have is that spinning cylinder thingy that goes around fast enough for you to be pinned to the insides of the cylinder. Forgot what that was called. Anyway, a girl on the other side of the cylinder from me barfed and the people around her were scrambling away from her spreading barf! lol lol lol!

Lizaanne

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is EXACTLY why I would never go on those things! Flying barf - sorry - not my idea of a good time.

~Liza

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the "wild mouse"

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After they closed Jefferson Beach, Edgewater was the only amusement park left in the area. Living on the far east side, it was a trek across 7 Mile - seemed to take forever. My first time on a roller coaster. My cousin & I challenged each other to try it and after we did, they let us stay in the seat and re-ride it over & over. The park looked so huge to us back then.

Catman__dude - that cylinder thingy was called the "Rotor." I loved that too.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I would like to first thank Lizaanne for bringing back into my consciousness a tragic memory of childhood. Now that you have done so, here goes.

I was in 5th or 6th grade, and our class went on a field trip to Edgewater. This would have been somewhere around 1974 or 1975, I can't remember (oh how I've tried to forget). We waited patiently in line to go on the rickety old wooden coaster that everyone is referring to. At the bottom of the first hill, my head snapped back and I cracked my head open! As the ride proceeded, I didn't know any better, I was just having fun. At the end of the ride, we got off, and we were all thrilled how great the ride was. I felt something like sweat on the back of my neck. As I reached back to wipe it off, I looked at my hand and found it was blood. Great.

They took me to some medical office and put some white goop on the cut which stopped the bleeding, and sent me on my way. I had a killer headache the rest of the day, but hey, it was Edgewater! When I got home, mom and dad told me I "NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL." Like it was my fault? Whatever.

Now, had this been today, I would be a rich fool with all of the money that we would have sued for. My how times have changed.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents lived in the apartment complex right next to the park - we'd walk through the woods to get there. My grandma's wig flew off on the tilt-a- whirl.

I was at the park the day a girl fell off the ferris wheel and died. Anyone remember that?

Lizaanne

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry Mallory - but it was a good story! :-)

~Liza

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in the ninth grade I told my mom that we were going on a field trip to Edgewater. There were really only 6 of us girls and we were skipping school. We hopped on a bus at Gratiot and 7 Mile, got to Edgewater Park and rode the rides all day. I can't remember what time we left the park, but we waited and waited for a bus to come and finally found out the busses stopped running at a certain time. I had to call my parents to come and pick us up. Boy, did I ever get into trouble. My neighbors dad was a Detroit Police Officer and they would always hold their annual picnics at Edgewater and I always got to go with them. My favorite ride (besides the wooden roller coaster) was the Whip!!

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My moms best friends husband owned the arcade there when I was growing up. I remember riding the round up (it was right in front of the arcade) and I lost my shoe and threw up. Mr. Webster was watching and told me he would give me 20 bucks to get back on and I wouldnt. They also bought a german shepard "guard dog" (Ralph) for there but Mr. Webster brought it home cause he was too mean. I was sitting in their house and Mrs. Webster told me to sit still and she let Ralph in.... we hit it off great and were best friends, Mr. Webster came home and me and Ralph were asleep on the floor. Mom said he laughed and said some guard dog! LOL Cant help thinking about Ralph when I think Edgewater. I guess I was about 7 or 8 at the time.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2 story fun house with the cars coming out on those little balconies was fun. I remember seeing Adam West "Batman" and the Batmobile there in the mid-sixties. The french fries you put vinegar on from those bottles with the sprinkler heads and the candy apples with the coconut, what a treat!!

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man those were the days.. dad worked at GM and they had their company party their every year for about 5 or 6 years straight. it was the best time when you are about 10 or 11. I think i still have whiplash from the old rubber wheel coaster, I can still remember coming 6 inch's out of my seat when it when down the main dip.. what a scream..

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Edgewater pictures here:

http://www.water-winterwonderl and.com/amuse.asp?id=301&type= 2

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you long for is the EXPERIENCE. The old roller coasters, noises and unusual food items all together created a unique experience. The theme parks in Orlando create an experience as well but it just has a refined feel to it.

After spending a week on the wrong side of the road in England, I went to EuroDisney near Paris. About ten minutes into the park, I almost started to cry being a little home sick. I felt like I was in the US. The customer service was excellent. The architecture of the buildings was truely midwestern and there were people singing Christmas Carols in English. The only thing missing was the lack of spoken English or French! Many of the visitors were from some where else. The experience created was true as American Apple pie.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's probably why the park didn't work out.
The French aren't wild about Americans.

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgive the ignorance of an east sider: exactly where was Edgewater located? What body of water was it at the edge of? What is on that site now?

Thank you.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7919
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread.

Lizaanne, in your post that opened/started this thread, I hope you weren't "depraved" but "deprived"

Big difference....

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father took me on the rollercoaster at Edgewater. It was my first rollercoaster experience. Scared me to death. However, I was not deterred. I've been crazy about rollercoasters ever since.

One distinct memory I have of Edgewater was hearing this Paul McCartney song being played over the speakers. I think they played music from the radio and CKLW was the station. The song was Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. That has to be one one of the craziest sounding songs I have ever heard, but I remember liking it back then. I still get a kick out of hearing it now, and when I do I think back to Edgewater Park every time.

BTW, the Rotor was the only amusement park ride that ever made me throw up. I vowed to never ever get on that ride again. I remember Bob-Lo having one or something similar and me telling my friends that I would never get on that ride because of my mishap at Edgewater.

(Message edited by royce on June 10, 2007)

Lizaanne

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Great thread.

Lizaanne, in your post that opened/started this thread, I hope you weren't "depraved" but "deprived"

Big difference...."

Karl - it all depended on the day. :-)

But yes, for the most part, I did mean deprived. Guess my mind was in the gutter when I opened the thread! LOL!

~Liza

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.