Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Plan to Tear Down Tiger Stadium Approved « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit EDC OKs plan to tear down Tiger Stadium
By Aaron Harris
Crain's Detroit Business
5:07 pm, June 7, 2007
http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/art...07004/1009/brea king

The Detroit Economic Development Corp.’s board approved a plan Thursday to demolish Tiger Stadium.

The board approved the project pending approval from the Detroit City Council. The EDC plans to present its plan to the council in July.

The plan calls for most of the 95-year-old stadium to be demolished to redevelop the site into a mixed-use retail and residential property. The estimated cost is $2.95 million.

To finance the project, the plan calls for Schneider Industries, a St. Louis auction company, to sell stadium memorabilia including seats and locker-room items. If the plan is approved by City Council, Schneider Industries would set up a Web-based memorabilia auction.

“The plan is to tear down the structure and sell the steel,” said Peter Zeiler, EDC business development representative. “But we also want to make sure that we keep some the historic aspects of the stadium in Detroit.”

Zeiler said one of those aspects includes keeping the baseball field for youth baseball leagues.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, movement.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 637
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sooner the better. I'm going to be sad to see it go, but it's for the best now.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to be sad too, but let's not forget the key here: "pending approval from the Detroit City Council." We'll see what happens in July.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping the field is a GREAT idea in my book. Just take the stadium down all around it. That way anyone can go and play on the same field that Ty Cobb did way back when.

There are some great memories there, but thats part od life. I plan on making NEW memories this year in Tiger Stadium II (AKA Comerica Park)

Go get em' TIGERS!!!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only good thing left in Detroit sports...
Joe Louis is NO Olympia...
Silverdome and now Ford Field is NO Tiger Stadium...
Commerica Park is NO WAY CLOSE to Tiger Stadium...

i understand the reason to own a sports team is to make money, but the CoPa is so UNinviting, and impersonal. yeech...

i dont seen anyone clamoring to tear down Camden Yard, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field...

just my thoughts...

david

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Yankee Stadium is being torn down. I believe after the 2008 season.

All the other stadiums are in use. While it would have been nice to be able to have saved Tiger Stadium for the Tigers, now that Comerica is there, it is silly to have two parks.

I'll be sad to see Tiger Stadium go, but it isn't helping anybody it its current state.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a lot of discussion about replacing Fenway. The BoSox upper management favors moving to a bigger stadium because they know they can draw the crowds. I heard recently that they are targeting 2012.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lt Dave, respectfully, are you kidding? Ford Field is one of the very best stadiums in the NFL, and maybe the best. Of course, the Lions play there...

(And who would tear down Camden Yards... the just built it a few years ago. Great park.)

But yes, JLA is no Olympia. It's not even a Silverdome. Wait...

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, most of these old stadiums, even the ones in use, are only popular because of the memories. I went to Wrigley last year to watch the Tigers pound the Cubs, and what I liked about the stadium had more to do with the neighborhood than the building. Wrigley itself isn't a great place to watch a game. We had a pylon right in front of our faces, and I had bought tickets as soon as they went on sale.

You can argue about whether Comerica was necessary, but now that it's there, Tiger Stadium has no point. Let's get passed the memories and put something there that will improve the city.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Tiger Stadium: Yer outta here by '08

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?A...07/UPDATE/70607 0506

Old Tiger Stadium came one step closer Wednesday to its final date with the wrecking ball.

A plan approved by city economic development officials calls for the famous but moldering ballpark at Michigan and Trumbull to be razed by September 2008, with most of the historic baseball diamond preserved. Seats and other stadium memorabilia will be sold off.

The plan gives a nonprofit group called The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy until late July to find a feasible approach -- complete with financing -- to preserve part of the stadium. The nonprofit is trying to find a way to save Tiger Stadium's main entrance behind home plate.

The plan now heads back before City Council. Most members, along with Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and an influential Corktown neighborhood organization, have endorsed the general concepts. Given the looming deadlines, economic development official anticipate the City Council will approve the plan soon.

"This is the most concrete, most specific plan that has gotten the farthest along in terms of city backing," said Ron Flies, vice president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp and project manager of what's known as officially as the Tiger Stadium Property Redevelopment Plan.

Flies said Kilpatrick publicly endorsed the project's concept last year and the City Council authorized the general project about two months ago. City economic officials have also been meeting with the Corktown neighborhood group to get their input.

The plan approved Wednesday by the city's Economic Development Corp. calls for the stadium structure to be demolished by September 2008, if the conservancy doesn't come up with a plan to save the front entrance. The site would be used as a mixed-use site for retail and residential project, with new construction to begin in April 2009. Parts of the baseball diamond -- the infield and most of the outfield -- will become a public field.

The Detroit Tigers moved to Comerica Park in 1999 and Tiger Stadium has remained vacant since. Many notions on what to do with it have come and gone since the park -- opened five days after the Titanic sank in 1912 -- closed Sept. 27, 1999.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That article gives the misleading idea that the Tigers didn't start playing there until 1912, when actually they played on that site since 1896. The current steelwork partly originates from 1912, but the field (although reoriented in direction) was in place before then.

It's too bad *all* the field won't be saved. I guess saving even some of it, though, is practically unprecedented in stadium demolitions.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's done right, I think it can be a really beautiful memorial to the site and its history. I won't hold my breath just yet, but am still hopeful they are able to come up with something that both preserves the past and incorporates the future. No small order. It is going to take just the right architect to make this right. And the city to get behind the project and make it happen and prosper.

Wow - that's really depressing when you think about it. Is the current administration up to the task? Hmmm...time will tell I suppose.

~Liza

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6009
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adieu Tiger Stadium and thanks for the memories.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

danny speaks french?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie is correct. Bennett Park predated Navin Field on the site. The Tigers, as a minor league team until 1901, played at that location for 103 years. Detroit and the Tigers hold an interesting place in baseball history. The Western League (which became the American League in 1900) was founded in Detroit in 1892 or 1893 and the Tigers remain the only charter Western League team to still play in their original city. I believe the Tigers (originally called the Creams) played their first few seasons near Belle Isle before moving to Corktown. I could be wrong about that. The National League Detroit Wolverines of the 1880's played at Recreation Park which is now the DMC. And for what it is worth, the first organized base ball club in Detroit was founded in 1857. So we are are currently in the 150th year of baseball in Detroit.

Baseball at Tiger Stadium predates the Tigers. Games were played on that site, Woodbridge Grove, as early as 1867. So if Corktown is successful in maintaining the field, it will mean the Tiger Stadium site's 140-year baseball tradition will continue.

My own disappointment at losing Tiger Stadium as a Major League park has been diminished greatly the current success of the Tigers. It's good knowing the Tigers tradition of excellence from Ty Cobb to Whitaker and Trammell continues. I know it is really too early to say this but I think Justin Verlander might - might - be that once in a generation pitching talent. I'd rather watch Verlander pitch at Comerica Park than watch Brian Moehler or Felipe Lira pitch at Tiger Stadium any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

(Message edited by Jelk on June 08, 2007)

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited to see progress on this project. The plan has the starts of something really cool and unique.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Economic Growth Corp (DEGC), not Detroit Economic Development Corp. Our journalists can't even get the name right. Who fact checks this stuff?

Burnsie

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The detnews article said it would be on the shoulders of the stadium preservation conservancy to figure out how to save a section of the stadium, and to come up with the financing.

Why should that be so difficult? All you have to do to save a section would be to carefully section off a range between certain columns-- say a section the width of the press box-- and keep the wreckers from that area. Then the newly shorn ends could be neatened up whenever the developer gets going on the rest of the project.

I don't think that's asking too much, and I don't see the urgency for an immediate plan to fund the maintenance of this small remaining section-- ESPECIALLY when no developer has come up with a solid plan and financing for the theoretical development that will happen once the stadium is (hopefully just mostly) gone.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9364
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you have oversimplified the heck out of the work required.

Jrich2425
Username: Jrich2425

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be a stupid question but would it be possible for the Tigers to come back and play a "farewell game" at old Tiger Stadium before it is demolished. Maybe the park is too run-down since the Tigers left in 1999 but if not, it could be a unique way of letting fans say farewell to the past.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Won't be possible for a farewell game for a bunch of reasons. Yes, the ballpark is in a state of disrepair. I was inside in December and it was very bad. Ownership would never let it happen, even if feasible, because it would take away attention from Comerica Park.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad...

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one picture from my visit in December.
Tiger Stadium Dec. 2006

Burnsie

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 wrote, "Sounds like you have oversimplified the heck out of the work required."

What do you mean? It's not rocket science to tear down 90% of the stadium and leave a chunk standing. With all the millions that are going to be spent to build new buildings around the field, what's the problem with saving a section behind home plate? You can do it-- the stadium isn't cantilevered together in one piece. You designate the section to be saved. You tear down up to that point, which is marked with spray paint indications and noted on the demolition plan.

Then you carefully make the final cuts, next to the columns at the ends of the saved section, through the roof, walls and seating decks. The only utilities you'd absolutely need to have are a few security lights, and a couple of bathrooms at ground level for daytime youth leagues or whoever would play there. Then some new coats of paint, wheelchair accessible ramps at the ends, and you're all set.

Sometimes things really *are* that simple. If my idea still sounds too complicated, explain to me how it is, instead of just saying it's oversimplifying things.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see the wrecking crew go to Comerica by mistake.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might as well take down the train station while their at it since its so close. Hate to see them both go but.... I do think it would be awsome if they do save the field for kids. Just think being a little kid playing right there where all the greats played. Its the least they can do!.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope they let the public come in for one last goodbye before they start selling and tearing down.

I regret that while I grew up in west michigan and Indiana, and had relatives my entire life in Detroit, I never went to a game. My dad wasn't big into baseball and never took me. No family members ever went either.

Even though I can never see a game there, I would still really like to be able to go inside, down on the field just to have that connection. My first time would be my last, but at least I could say I stood where the greats once played.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be hard pressed to think of something worth saving from there, much less buying. The Tiger Den seats have been ripped up in photos I've seen. The reserved seats are blue plastic, not the green wooden slat seats. It looks like the metal looters have been there based on the pic above. And why would anyone buy a bleacher seat?

The facade of the 3rd deck press box fell during a thunderstorm in ('93?), the strike season, and bent the shit out of one of those iron pipe handrails and wiped out some seats. Structurally, it is 8 years older with no visible maintenance other than the lawn being cut.

I doubt that "1 section" of the old ballpark would survive a storm without clinging by whatever rusted steel or crumbly concrete to the rest of the stadium.

In '99 my parents and I took the tour of the stadium. The locker rooms are totally sparse.

When they left the stadium, the only thing Ernie Harwell wanted as keepsake was one of the porcelain-lined iron urine troughs in the dugout tunnels for Miss Lulu to plant petunias in. Now they live in a retirement community and probably doesn't want it (2 available! Hurry! Order now!)

And anything that was worthwhile in the Tiger offices has probably been scrounged by the Ilitches or their employees. Their used to be a cool 4'x5' aerial photo of the stadium during the ('45?) World Series in the offices. I saw it once when I went there to buy and pick out the seats for season tickets.

Is there anything special you can think of that would be worth buying from there after 8 years of deterioration and vandalism?

The only thing I can think of is the "Home Run Horn". I'd mount that under the hood of my truck!

James

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont seen anyone clamoring to tear down Camden Yard, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field...

Yeah, why tear down Oriole Park at Camden Yards? It opened in 1992. And Yankee Stadium IS going to be torn down. They're building a new stadium right now.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on June 08, 2007)

Burnsie

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass wrote, "I doubt that "1 section" of the old ballpark would survive a storm without clinging by whatever rusted steel or crumbly concrete to the rest of the stadium."

That's without basis. The stadium is built like a rock. The common myth that Tiger Stadium is falling apart was started by somebody back in the '80s who said that they were "shackled to a rusty girder." The stadium was structurally sound in 1999, nobody has been hacking away at the supporting structure, and whatever rust you see is likely superficial.

Jrvass

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

You are a civil engineer? Willing to insure the public's safety? I'm happy that you are willing to invest your money in your plans.

Don't come licking for the government (i.e. taxpayer) teats for subsidies.

James

Burnsie

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass-- Are YOU a civil engineer? Why are your structural opinions more valid than mine? Tiger Stadium was structurally sound in 1999. Since there hasn't been any compelling evidence to the contrary, it probably still is. Would you care to cite any studies that have stated that the stadium has slipped into structural failure since 1999?

Why the need to get nasty and say I expect government subsidies, and who said anything about me investing my own money? All I want is our "leaders" (both government AND private) to think creatively!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4533
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do what they did with Forbes Field. Preserve a wall and the plate. Build around it.

Jelk

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As someone pointed out about Yankee Stadium will get the wrecking ball soon. As for the other three stadiums, they are in a very different situation than Tiger Stadium...Camden Yards, Fenway Park, and Wrigley Field all have Major League tenants. Tiger Stadium doesn't.

A 50,000 seat baseball stadium requires a Major League tenant to sustain itself. Importing some independent (outlaw) league team from Branson or elsewhere in the sticks won't cut it.

If you want to argue about whether the Tigers should have or shouldn't have left Tiger Stadium have at it but at this point it's about as pointless as arguing about the legitimacy of the War of 1812. If you are really still angry about the rusty girder speech, go talk to Bo Schembechler about it. His grave is in Ann Arbor. I wouldn't expect a very spirited debate.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not still angry about the rusted girder speech. I only mentioned it to explain where the myth about the stadium's structural failings started.

Jelk

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok fair enough. You are correct btw from what I understand structural engineers who have inspected the stadium over the years have pretty much said it's solid.

As it stands today it poses some serious liability issues trespassers, freak roof collapse or a piece of the light tower falling over etc but structurally speaking Tiger Stadium is solid.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should take care of tearing down Tiger Stadium as fast as possible. It is just like a band-aid, the slower you remove it, the more painful it gets.

Preserve the lower deck from first around to third and enough of the field for little league games and develope the rest into whatever they freaking feel like.The field is holy ground and should be treated accordingly. The powers that be are showing absolutely no respect whatsoever. Shame on them!!!!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the question I have is how did you get in there in December??

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yankee Stadium is slated to be demolished in a similar way as Tiger Stadium, actually. As far as I know, the plan currently provides that the stadium structure will be torn down, but that the field and dugouts will be maintained and turned into some kind of a park/museum. Surprisingly, this plan has not been met with huge resistance in New York.

(Message edited by cman710 on June 10, 2007)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is `cuz Yankee Stadium is ugly. An`da Yankees iz ugly too.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just seems like another way to appease Illitch if you ask me. Don't get me wrong condos would be great but it is getting to be a saturated market for condos. Plus there is no development plan in place that actually has funding in place. There have been other much more polished plans with funding and experts that were not even looked at because it was not what Illitch would want. Illitch does not want any other chance of baseball being played there so it is yet another public subsidy for Illitch. Why would the site be so much more desirable if the city did the demo? Couldn't we just sell the land to the developer first and let them take care of the demolition cost and Detroit use its demolition dollars in areas that need it the most? When will the public financing of Illitch end?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5622
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710, good point, and something not to many mention. In fact, the New Yankee Stadium is being built right across the street.

Jrvass

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

I'll agree to disagree with your opinion. I have many fond memories of the stadium.

Free Chevrolet tickets behind home plate.

Seeing Reggie Jackson's homer off the lights at the All-Star game.

Smelling pot for the first time at a Lion's game (why not? The players were probably stoned too!)

Parking at Trumbull Chevrolet for free.

Having Pete Incavigla fall into the stands catching a foul ball in front of us.

Ernie & Paul's last home game.

Ernie signing my ticket stub when he sat behind me a couple years later.

Finding Denise Ilitch's phone number in the Lake Angelus phone book, and bitching her out because my mom and I were prevented from running the bases on Mother's Day. She gave me free tickets for Father's Day "Kids and Dad's of ALL ages" can run the bases. The line to do that circled the stadium, so I took them on a tour later in in that last year of 1999.

Maybe keeping the lower section makes sense. I was envisioning keeping a section of the lower, upper, pressbox (at someone's suggestion). If you don't save more than 1 section, it is too unstable, IMO. And no, I am not a civil engineer, but my BIL is.

I like the old ballpark, but it will never be the same as we remember. The pictures on this website prove that.

James

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing Gary Glaser's Tiger Stadium documentary (which I would recommend to all), it does seem like the Illitch has scuttled previous attempts to rehab the site. Plans have ranged from a minor league baseball stadium to plans similar to that being bandied about right now. But the city council has always prevented progress.

I think Urbanoutdoors makes a fine point. Why should the city be in the business of demolition? If demolition prevented the city from making anything of the site, then fair enough. But so far, it does not seem as if that is the case.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are people promoting youth baseball at the Corner? Baseball is not a sport Detroit kids play anymore. Most PSL schools can barely field enough kids for a team.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where will Detroit SWAT do sniping practice now?

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was part of the DEGC walk-through for potential bidders on the project to remove/auction any memorabilia in the ballpark. I have a ton of pictures, it was pretty sad to see the park in the state it's in. From afar, it looked like it would have taken a few weeks to get the place in game-day shape. From up close, it was clear that it would take much more time and might not be possible. Lots of water damage to any of the interior areas (front office, locker rooms).

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Baseball is not a sport Detroit kids play anymore. Most PSL schools can barely field enough kids for a team."

What happened to Barney McCoskey, West 7 (was that the name of it?) and PAL?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if they could reassemble the shell of it in Greenfield Village or something like that. I hope it doesn't end up a gravel parking lot like the old Motown building...

"Surprisingly, this plan has not been met with huge resistance in New York."

I'd guess the primary reason is because they are building the new stadium right across the street as opposed to moving it across town (there were some calls to move them into Manhattan).

Jelk

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why are people promoting youth baseball at the Corner? Baseball is not a sport Detroit kids play anymore.

That statement is garbage. Any lack of interest in baseball in Detroit is the direct result of the lack of first-class baseball fields in the city. Baseball is no longer a sandlot, pick-up game in the United States. Basketball long ago replaced baseball as the pick-up game of choice for American kids. It's played in organized leagues. Youth baseball is financially sustainable and growing in almost every segment of society except urban areas.

Think Detroit/PAL currently runs leagues in the city and has about 1500 kids participating annually so clearly there are kids who still play baseball in Detroit. Little League, Babe Ruth, Pony are all thriving. The shortage of kids playing baseball in Detroit has more to do with adults not putting in the effort to make the game available to kids than it does a lack of interest on the part of Detroit kids.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/O PINION03/706110350

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on June 11, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your argument we're close the truth. The fact this plans was put together by the Corktown neighborhood. They wanted the site used as mixed-use residential, the reality is the neighborhood got exactly what they wanted. Something that happens far too little around here

Rubin's column is just bitching and sour grapes from the keep the stadium crowd. When the city announced plans for Campus Martius, the RiverWalk and Book Cadillac there were no developers, money or tenants in place. The DEGC hasn't even officially sought a developer they posted the RFP for memorabilia removal, but not for demolition or site developer. Of course, idiots like Rubin ignore this and say that since there's no delveloper when they announced the plans, that it must have no interest. Really how is this any different than what's happened for the residental projects planned for the east riverfront?

(Message edited by eric on June 11, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off I my self am a proud corktown resident! I also know many residents that share the same views that I do. I myself am not opposed to the condos but to where the money is coming from. If this site is so desirable, than the developer should take on the cost of the demolition, not the city tax payers. We already subsidize enough corporate welfare in the city. I will be sad to see it go but if it must it should be done by private financing city money could go to much better use. Comparing this to campus martius or the riverwalk really seams like a stretch at best. Those projects will serve the entire city this is more along the lines of the Ellington or the hudson's demo.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect Urbanoutdoors, the Tiger Stadium site has far broader appeal as a tourist destination on a statewide/national basis than either CM or the Riverfront. How many Michiganders made family memories on the Detroit riverfront or CM over the last hundred years? NONE. Tiger Stadium? Millions. I don't think it is out of line to put a few public dollars on the table to save a historic sacred space for public use while hundreds of millions of public money is spent every year to enrich individuals.

Jelk

Post Number: 4438
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/O PINION03/706110350

Eh. Stephen Glass and Jayson Blair are more credible journalists than Neal Rubin. Plus they never wasted column inches with photographs of themselves preening around in Virgina Farrel School of Beauty sweatshirts.

If you don't dig what I'm saying: the article is fiction. Rubin spoke to no one worth-the-while about this project. Why would the DEQ have a proposal for a project that was just approved by the city? Detroit isn't going to ask for funding for something they haven't formally decided upon. No one responsible for public money is going to promise to fund something in the newspaper until they've received a proposal. The city can't submit a proposal until they agree on the project.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We already subsidize enough corporate welfare in the city. I will be sad to see it go but if it must it should be done by private financing city money could go to much better use."

Yeah, but it currently remains a financial and legal liability for the city. It does fund the very little maintenance/security that does occur there now...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.