Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Future of Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So WDIV just reported that Tiger Stadium is one vote away from being demolished.

Do you agree with the demolition and addition of residential and commercial property? If not, what would you like to see done with the building?

Any good memories of the park?

Navin_parker
Username: Navin_parker

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sometimes the last out or that clinching victory is the hardest to get. I won't bet against Tiger Stadium because the real story is not being told what you heard tonight is old news. Whats best for Tiger Stadium now is to reduce it back in time to its most desired size do this (first) then build infill development in the space remaining (second) this is just what the community is attempting through the efforts of Greater Corktown Development and the Tiger Stadium Conservancy we can have a true destination location to be proud of. The Mayor AGREED to preserve as needed and he should be held to that promise. Lets get it right on paper before we tear down and have nothing.

Every day at that ballpark was a great memory!!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to walk over to Tiger Stadium from my studio on Brooklyn and take lots of photos for my own memory basket because it is going to go down.

People talked about Hudsons being....whatever, and the train station being the police headquarters and so on. I am weary of getting my hopes up.

Weary with tears.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories? Many, but three stand out:

1)The time my wife, sons & I went to a game back in the 80's and as we were standing in line waiting to buy tickets before the game, an usher asked if we had bought our tickets yet. When I said "no," he asked how many? I told him "4." He said, "follow me." I'm not naive, but did so anyway. He took us inside the gate & handed us tickets behind home plate. When I asked "what's this all about?" he said, "from Fat Bob." At that time I didn't know who Fat Bob was, until it was time for the national anthem and "Fat Bob" Taylor stood out on the field to sing it. Afterwards he walked over to us (in the first row), shook our hands, and we thanked him. Apparently he generally gave his complimentary tickets away, but we felt like celebrities that day and we never forgot it.

2) Last game we attended in 1999.

3) First game I attended with school group in 1950's. How magical that field looked for the first time. Nothing could prepare me for that.

And of course, almost any game in 1968.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memories? Just two incredible ones.

I was at Wayne State in 1984 studying Mass Comm. NBC needed some interns to work as gophers during the week they were in town for the World Series. One memory was when I was assigned to go next door to White Castle and buy a bunch of burgers and take them to the camera operators in the stadium. That included the guy up on the roof. During one of the games, I walked on the roof of Tiger Stadium just to take some sliders to some camera guy.

Memory two: Last game of the '84 World Series. It was the middle of the eighth inning, Tigers ahead 8 to 4. It was obvious that the Tigers were going to win, so one of the guys in the broadcast truck says, "interns to the locker room." Did I hear that right? Oh yeah. So we headed to the locker room, three of us, and stood side by side and blocked the camera shot so that the reporters wouldn't crowd the shot. The trophy presentation, the champagne, all of it, and I had the most front row seat you could have.

Then of course all of the mayhem outside at the end of the game. That was another story.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.