Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » This is how suburban high school kids pull a senior prank... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plane buzzes Farmington Hills school, drops toilet paper, paint pellets

FARMINGTON HILLS -- Police are offering a $500 reward for information leading to the persons who flew over Farmington Harrison High School Thursday afternoon at a dangerously low altitude, dropping toilet paper and paint pellets from the craft.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070608/UPDAT E/706080440

(Message edited by thejesus on June 08, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9368
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have guessed the reward would be much more than that. The TP and paint balls probably weren't a big deal but the probabilty of something going horribly wrong in the case of an accident is too high.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome to the police state kids can't have fun anymore!

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse pointe south grad of 79 released chickens in the halls between classes. I would never do that now. poor chickens.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9369
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pranks are one thing. Flying a plane 150 feet over a school is another.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flying the plane so low is an issue but another is the likely damage the paint balls caused to parked cars and the building. I imagine if you were at ground level though it looked pretty cool.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6011
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was truly a senior prank.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously how difficult can it be to find the students who have access to a plane? It's a shame that people are so uptight these days.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good prank! They should have strafed the freshmen though, the TP is lame. All we did was flush M-80's and put LSD in the schools water supply. It must me nice to have the moo-la to take the family’s wings for a joy ride. 500 bucks? I would turn in my poor dead Mother for that kind of dough!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were dissecting feral pigs the last couple weeks in biology, my co-conspirator cut a venetion blind cord for "rope". After a proper "hangman's noose" was tied (13 wraps), we "hung" the 1/2 dissected pig off the third floor steps hand-railing.

Hung the pig, then took the long way around after class (we fabricated some excuse to leave the room during class to do this) to see the commotion after class. Even the principal was amused at the prank that grossed out the jr. classmen.

Better than an M-80 in a locker, in his opinion. We were "creative"!

If the paint causes damage to any of the cars... these asswipes are going to be paying major dollars!

James

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was talk at my school of seniors releasing 3 chickens in the halls...Marking the chickens as 1, 2, 4.

hahahahha

I wish it would have happened.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There was talk at my school of seniors releasing 3 chickens in the halls...Marking the chickens as 1, 2, 4.

Oh, that's devious. People would spend hours looking for #3. Genius.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Holy Grail of pranks

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I call taking pranks to new heights.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than the seniors at our school. They released rats in the hallway during class. The real fun began after the contractor working on part of our building tripped the fire alarm at school. Then a tree took out power for during 6th hour. We all thought it was the seniors at first though. Would've been an interesting senior prank.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had rats released during lunch for ours. I think a few kids may have put cement in some toilets too, although thats a bit too destructive for my tastes.

Cant confirm this or not but there was always talk that one class many years ago got a cow into the school and led it up to the third floor. Apparently cows can go up stairs, but not down them. Someone might be able to confirm that, but from what im told it took teachers and administration a long time to get the thing in the elevator.

Scs100

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cows refuse to go down stairs, I can confirm that. I have heard numerous stories of senior pranks involving cows that are taken to the second floor of a building. They refuse to leave because they don't go down stairs.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AT Rochester High Seniors put a HUGE FOR SALE sign up infront of the school!!!

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pranksters vs FAA? There screwed!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cows refuse to go down stairs"

There was an old episode of Hill Street Blues. Someone stole a cow and was hiding it in an upstairs apartment.
The Hill Street cops came and were trying and trying to get it down the stairs. An old guy came out of his apartment and said, "cows ain't got no down genes". It was funny at the time.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's something out west called a "cattle grate." It's a parallel series of closely-spaced train rails over a ditch near the intersection of two roads.

The idea is that a vehicle can freely roll over the cattle grate but cattle won't cross it because their hooves might get stuck between the rails. It's a virtual extension of the fence containing the herd.

Anyway, after the cattle learn not to cross it, it so happens that you can simply paint an image of the cattlegrate upon the road and the cattle still won't cross. They can't distinguish between the image and the real cattlegrate. Cattle are that stupid.

Let's hope we never become that stupid. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 08, 2007)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joymac,

Thanks for reminding me of the "great chicken caper of '79"!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't it be easy to talk to the FAA or tower to find out this plane number? From there, finding the pilot should be easy.

I know in rural areas there really isn't air traffic control. However, in metro Detroit, I certainly would think they'd have to tie in to a tower somewhere

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@ my school we released ducks in the hallways.

Scs100

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall one story where sheep were released in the courtyard of Cousino.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, the base of the airspace in the vicinity of Farmington which would require any communications with ATC is at 4000'. If he departed from an uncontrolled airport (the majority of airports are such) he could have completed the entire flight without needing to communicate with anyone.

His main culpability would be the low altitude at which he flew and his dropping of things from the aircraft. From the Federal Aviation Regulations:

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a
horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, it makes wanton destruction of property sound like so much fun! Someone point me to the Devil's Night prank thread.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My senior year a group of students got ahold of the master key for all the lockers. They switched everyones stuff to another locker a couple days before finals. It was total chaos.

Scs100

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that is a senior prank.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One year when I was living in New Orleans, two seniors from a suburban Catholic boy's high school--one dressed as Darth Vader, the other as the Easter Bunny--walked into the cafeteria of a neighboring Catholic girl's high school at lunch hour. They then opened a very large box they were carrying and released several hundred white mice, causing most of the young ladies to immediately seek refuge on top of the tables. I wasn't there, but as I understand it the squeals and general pandemonium was audible for miles around, and the afternoon exam schedule was severely impacted as administrators, teachers and staff did their best to round up all of the little critters, who fled in every direction and into every part of the school and continued turning up for hours afterwards.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, a few years ago over Southwestern Ontario some debris crashed into the roof of a house. Authorities think that the frozen chunk of human feces came from a commercial jet plane that flew overhead.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Grosse Pointe South, two guys I know had an old Dodge. They put on smaller tires on the back and backed up to the open school doors by the greenhouse. THey lit it up and just smoked the hallway up. Somebody else dumped a bunch of BB's in the hallway. it was a mess. I have always heard a story of a group of guys putting a car on the roof, but that might have been urban legend.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I was in high school, I hired a group of skin head bikers to vandalize all 300 cars in the student parking lot. Smashed windows. Slashed tires. Keyed doors. Water in the gas tanks. Heh heh heh. It was a real hoot 'n annie.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3307
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Shouldn't it be easy to talk to the FAA or tower to find out this plane number? From there, finding the pilot should be easy.

I know in rural areas there really isn't air traffic control. However, in metro Detroit, I certainly would think they'd have to tie in to a tower somewhere

Unless the plane had a squawking transponder, the ATC folk might be totally unaware of a low-altitude aircraft--even not showing up on radar.

When flying my C-150F near Madison, I would monitor the major com channels as a service to any airliners approaching/departing if ever I might be near any of them. But there would be no FAA requirement for me to do so unless flying in controlled airspace. Most airspace is uncontrolled at low or medium altitudes.

At times I might be flying a few thousand feet higher than the low-altitude airliners and have them in sight below. In those cases, I would mention the fact via the com channel that I see the airliner and would disclose my altitude, etc. as a service because the ATC people would usually advise the airline pilots that there was another (usually unidentified) plane near them.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on June 11, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an update...

looks like they found out who did it and they might face criminal charges...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070615/U PDATE/706150305&imw=Y

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Womp, womp.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, I saw the car that was put on the roof of GPS HS. This was at least ten or more years ago. The car was a little striped down (no doors, engine seats etc.) Fiat if I recall correctly, taken from the now defunct auto shop. It was painted with all manner of senior graffiti. The pranksters used pulleys and tackle to hoist it up. I didn’t have my camera with me back then, but I bet photos are around somewhere.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.