Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone EVER have success against the parking nazis?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9423
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, nothing near the nuclear meltdown I suffered at Cafe's place three or so years ago...but I just got another undeserved parking ticket.

NEW cash meter wouldn't accept my three quarters. Walked to Eph's for a fresh set. Wouldn't accept them.

Found a van with two nice gentlemen in it parked off Campus Martius, standard parking collection and repair fellows...asked them about it, and they said leave a note on the car.

Did so, as did my neighbor two cars up from me.

Went back a half hour later, machine still wouldn't take my quarters. No ticket.

Went back another half hour later, MY car got a ticket, but the Volvo two cars up did NOT. Curious, perhaps HIS note was more convincing than mine.

One other person got a ticket, and I've got contact information to keep in touch. We're gonna battle city hall's proxy on this one.

Anyone ever have success with fighting a ticket?!

Ever??

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9371
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once got a ticket at a broken meter (took my money but gave no time). I drove around the block, found a parking attendant and explained the situation. She asked me to prove that it didn't work. I had her follow me to the meter, put in a quarter and no time went up.

Ticket cancelled. Cost me a quarter but well worth it. While not the friendliest person in the world she did what was right.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my suggestion is to not park at broken meters

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The meter maid's only job is to make sure that your time has not expired at your meter. The "parking nazi" did his job and gave you a ticket. Don't blame him in this process.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both my co-worker and I have received parking tickets for broken meters downtown in the last few years. Both times we followed the directions on the ticket to protest the ticket, both of us were later informed the ticket was canceled. My memory isn't really clear, but I think in my case, only a phone call was necessary. I think I provided the ticket number and the location of the "offense." . When they found the meter didn't work, they canceled the ticket.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do people park at broken meters?

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a choice. People don't know they're broken before they park at them.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I did. Last time I was in Detroit I got ticketed outside the main library, and the meter maid wrote my license number wrong.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do we have broken meters?

Gannon

Post Number: 9438
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was one of the new electronic cash boxes that doesn't print out stubs.

It wouldn't take my first three quarters, so I walked to a restaurant and came back with another dollar's worth...caught those employees in the van on the way.

There were no other parking spots, that little street is usually the best place in town to find an open place.

I've got the e-addresses of the guy who left a note who didn't get a ticket as well as another who not only gave me her e-mail but posed for a picture in case this should become a mini-class-action!

We all thought that numbers together would do better than both of us alone. The third witness couldn't be more perfect, he got stuck with an unwarranted ticket of his own...even after taking it all the way to 'court'.

You'd think everyone who takes the time and effort to fight a ticket should just be let off...why else would they do it if they weren't innocent?!

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you fight the ticket, 9/10 they will waive it.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sorry, how much are parking tickets in Detroit?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's $10 if paid within 48 hours or something like that. When I get one, I don't go out drinking on a night I normally would as that's the price of a couple beers plus tip.

Gannon

Post Number: 9443
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm doing that with the ticket I got that I actually deserved later in the day, dropping off something on Woodward with flashers on...fuckers are QUICK!

So, I pays the ones I earn, usually quickly for that $10 discount...this ticket will still run $20 from its normal $30 price, meter tickets are only $20, so the discount halves them if paid in 10 days.

Thanks Kristina, this one will come in a package of three, so they will have more reason to kill 'em...before we go public, or MORE public than this, with them.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dudes, seriously at $10-$30 per ticket you guys need to just pay that crap and chalk it up as the price of doing business.
Those tickets don't mean squat. lolol wow, I wish our tickets were $10 in NYC. lolol Hell ours start at $155 and we happily pay them just to save time trouble and yes, money.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason why I love living in Las Vegas. Free COVERED parking is everywhere. Only downtown (Fremont street area) has parking meters, but no one goes there much anyway.

However, right now I'm in South Lyon on vacation, soon to wander up to Traverse City. Won't be hitting Detroit city this trip. By the way, my new Ford Escape made 30.2 MPG on the trip here. Nice.

Gannon

Post Number: 9448
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,

When you go home, avoid the Oklahoma turnpike and take Route 66 through at the posted limit, tell me if your mileage increases! Your sightseeing quality certainly should...

Dexter,
True ethics have NO buyout price, and I refuse to bend on this no matter the cost in time or money.

(that is exactly why all tickets that finally go to arbitration or court should be weighed heavily towards the driver or car owner...just the fact that they take the time to fight over such a trivial cost means there must usually be something to their argument!)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fiancee successfully fought a parking ticket given to her at a broken parking meter a few years ago. It wasn't that hard but it didn't happen quickly either.

I got lucky a few days ago. While in a hurry to get some Astoria sweets for my little sister before she went back to San Fran (Mmmmnnn... chocolate mice), I parked illegally on the street right in front of the store in the early afternoon. While the street was not busy, all of the normal spots were occupied. No less than 30 seconds after I parked and went in, a meter maid pulled up behind me and started to run my license plate. I ran out, explained my situation, said I would be gone in 30 seconds and asked for a break. She said to hurry up and drove on. She earned a lot of good will toward meter maids with me for that one.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When you go home, avoid the Oklahoma turnpike and take Route 66 through at the posted limit, tell me if your mileage increases! Your sightseeing quality certainly should..."

I'd take that advice if I was heading back via that route -- I hate that stretch of turnpike...BORING -- but we'll be heading back from Traverse City so we'll take the northern route via I-80, I-76 to Denver, then I-70 to I-15 in Utah and home. Colorado and Utah are scenic to the extreme; however, Nebraska has usually bored you to death by then.......

Gannon

Post Number: 9466
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then you'd better turn left at Moab for the Arches National Park...hope I've got that geography right.

That is basically the start of the Grand Canyon, and is simply stunning. Otherworldly. Go earlier in the day, and budget at least double the time you think you can spend there.

Worth the ten bucks to drive through...a million times that if you get out and hike before lunch.

Last time I went through Nebraska I was reading the owner's manual on my car, brand new. Helped pass the time in that brutal state...but once you go Route 66 instead of that yucky Toll Road in OK, you'll thank me.

It is easily my favorite cross-country drive now, and there is an incredible Mexican breakfast and lunch joint in Elk City around the corner and down from the old oil rig where Route 66 crosses Route 6...owned by a couple of sisters who run a mean griddle.

But you're going to miss that up in Utah...until next time.

It is Heartland Americana instead of sterile high-speed darting across the landscape. I'm done with that high-stress gas wasting from now on.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5407
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speeding yes. Parking never for me, but I've been guilty so why fight it.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week at WSU, I ran to my car when I saw the ticket lady pull up. For the first time in human history, she didn't insist on writing the ticket anyway. She just laughed and drove to the next car.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My coworker got a ticket yesterday because of the city's incompetence.

My friend put money in the machine for the number he parked at.

When the meter maid came around, she ticketed him. When asked why, she said the space was incorrectly numbered and the "actual" number he parked at had no time on it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.