Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Gun Shots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard about 15-20 gun shots...I'm sitting in Ferndale and they were southish. Did anyone else hear this? Probably highland park area...nasty.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm you will not hear guns shots in ferndale coming from highland park, you will just barely be able to hear it if it is just south of eight unless you are right on the Mile itself...

at that distance you will just barely hear a high explosive artillery shell crashing to the ground

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3300
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Ferndale and HP are at least two miles apart, how could you hear gunshots clearly from that distance? Gunshots are fairly common elsewhere, BTW, especially around the Fourth of July. Expect to hear literally thousands of them in the day or two around the 4th.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 602
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defendbrooklyn you won’t hear gunshots in the city from two miles out. Since we moved to Ferndale over 8 years ago, I have not heard one. In Detroit it was a daily/nightly occurrence. I would teach the kids to count by them: bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang! 'That was twelve bullets, daddy!’

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It still angers me people shoot into the air on the 4th and new years. We're luck so FEW people get killed from stray bullets.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been hearing a lot of fireworks myself, and fire crackers. Are you sure that isnt what you heard?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It still angers me people shoot into the air on the 4th and new years. We're luck so FEW people get killed from stray bullets."

wtf? they seriously do this? what dumbshits...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has been a tradition in the city since at lest the beginning of the 20th century...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like we've talked about this before. First of all, you need to be sure about what differentiates a gun shot from any other similar sound.

I lived in the Mack/Marseilles neighborhood for 20 years and went through the annoying fireworks routine the 2 weeks or so surrounding July 4th with Balduck Park nearby. And tons of people use illegal fireworks in GP. Outside of celebratory (i.e. New Years) gunshots, we don't hear gun shots here (doesn't mean they don't happen, but I haven't picked up on any for a long time). Let's be honest, far NE Detroit is a pretty sleepy area.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

NE Deroit Balduck Park maybe a sleeping ghettohood next to a sleep snobbyville, but it could sometimes get gunshots and firecracker sounds once in while

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gunshots make a "crack!" sound. Fireworks are more of a "pop!". The fourth of July starts around the middle of June in Detroit. It ends around the end of August.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Bullet, and that's why the nights around Balduck Park are so noisy for so long. Some people bring heavy artillery, so if there's any mistaking something for a firework sound, normally it's was a bomb rather than a gunshot.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point...HP is a bit far...It could have been around the state fair area...
I dont think they were fire crackers because of the rhythm deep bass like sound to them...

i am close to 8 mile (Soth Ferndale).

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All joking aside Defendbrooklyn, try counting the reports next time you hear them. I was in the habit of this when we lived on Whitehill. The number will tell you more about the type of firearm, and it will distinguish it from the sound of fire works or artillery fire. This topic gets covered often on DY.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.