Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » So where are all the nonprofit jobs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I just graduated from Marygrove and want to get into the detroit nonprofit sector but I cannot find one single nonprofit job that does not have to do with canvasing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5187
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ npo/

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The non-profit sector is in really bad shape right now. They're dependent on donations which are even harder to come buy than tax revenue.

Good luck. I'd recommend calling the various trade groups for the non-profit area you'd like to get into: CDAD for community development, etc.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.comnet.org

I work in the nonprofit sector and I find that it's doing swell. In fact, there is a significant need for talented people, I find.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, all the jobs I find with a detroit focus seem to need some social work background, anyone know of any other sites?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to take it to the streets. Thats how the beginning of politics and social activism works. Do it and you'll eventually not have to door knock as much

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 643
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, send me an email...

detroitstar_org@ hotmail . com

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban ... why not set up your own ?

I have a friend that graudated with me from UofM and she decided to create her own npo due to the same frusterations as yours. Go for it!

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not work for one of the Big 3?

They are nonprofits.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well comnet is a very good site for non-profits as stated above. You may want to volunteer in an agency you have an interest in for the experience and take a job outside your field for cash money.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.idealist.org

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.