Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Eph McNally's Hours « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that the new Ephs downtown now closes at 5 p.m. every day. Can anyone confirm this? This does not sound like good news.

Stromberg2

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they are closing at 5:00. No point in staying open after 5:00 if you don't have any customers after 5:00.

They are at capacity for lunch and are looking at ways to expand the lunch business.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9430
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is great news.

Bad for us non-9-to-5 downtown dwellers, but only until we make our presence known in larger numbers enough to sustain keeping three bodies busy.

I did my part, and witnessed why the decision was made. I fully support them, and get there before five on the days I crave the Dublin Garden now.

They really shocked me with the Gaspacho soup the other day. I've never, ever liked Gaspacho soup. Gave theirs a try, since everything else has been so damned amazing and tasty fresh.

The Gaspacho was off the charts. A wonderful tastebud party. Avocado in it, too. Nice touch.

Realized I'm going there more for their soups...gave up trying to find a way to remember room for half a sandwich...I eat the soup there and take the sandwich to go.

Easier than asking for a doggy bowl with my doggy bag.

Stromberg2

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, guess i'll have to get there earlier, like the old days. I agree Gannon and Ndavies, no need to pay people if no one is coming in. Hopefully, with summer coming, they can find a way to stay open a little later. Oh well, I know that I did my part and will continue to make trip from Monroe every weekend, if not more. Nothing is better than Ephs.

Stromberg2, damn, it's after 5.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted a f---in Corned Beef as I was walking back from the riverwalk today at approx 6:15. It'd be nice if they could stay open til at least 6, or 7.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that it was a smart business decision, but it sucks for those of us that live downtown and like their food.

More of you guys gotta move down here so we can support the local companies!!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have the best patio and need to promote that along with the food!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had this conversation before.

My wife and I have only visited the Downtown Eph's after six once and it was deserted. Gotta admit - it's Honest John's or Detroit Beer Company for us simply because of the beer. We're alcoholics I guess, but so is everyone else, it appears. Harry's, Z's, H.J.s, DBC, and Slows are usually pretty steady in the evening because of the alcohol AND food.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DBC and Small Plates were packed last night at 7:00 pm. 20-30 minute wait for a table. Some places are making a go.

Eph's needs to move ahead with facade improvements. A deli at that location won't get enough evening business from destination customers alone. It needs visibility in order to attract drive-by customers who are making decisions on the spur of the moment. A visually loud signage statement is needed. People remember the sign and the existence of the establishment sticks in their mind when they are trying to figure out where to go. Until something like this is completed, there's no sense in trying to stay open until 8 or 9. Staying open until 6 might get some more carry-out business though. For lots of downtown folks, the evening whistle doesn't blow until well past 5.

Another problem for Eph's is parking. Not that there is that much of a problem finding a spot a block or so away in the evening. Instead, the problem is that the lack of street parking on the first two blocks of Woodward creates an emptiness around Eph's that gives the impression that nothing is going on around there. When they widened the boulevard a couple of years ago and upgraded the landscaping, apparently aesthetics were more important to the city than economics. Some street parking should have been included in the redesign. Given Woodward's width, there was plenty of room.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange you should mention parking. Parking does not seem to be a problem for the Checker, Foran's, or Mavericks; and they are all within a block.

The reality is sandwich only places are open just for the lunch crowd and rely on those who could not take an early lunch or those picking-up an early sandwich as gravy. Eph's is well sited for a lunch place.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9463
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy it late, the second half is dinner.

(most of their stuff is best that same day, the freshness is part of their recipe)

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I am the partner that insisted on closing earlier, feel free to heap the heat my direction. As a local resident, it was a heart wrenching decision. As the guys paying the bills, it was absolutely necessary to our success and longevity. Unfortunately, we are absolutely dead after 2 oclock. The truth is that if Sat and Sun don't start picking up in the next few months, we will have to cut those as well. Consider this an invitation to put your money where your mouth is and help us continue hours that cater to WE center city dwellers.

The facade is coming, albeit a little slow. We were ripped off by a local artist who took money and never delivered our sign. The new one (including a seven food 3D pickle) will be delivered and installed on top of our deco marquee in about two weeks. The rest of the facade is waiting on $$$$. We have a facade grant from the DDA but have to spend 100k plus and then be reimbursed. Our resources have been stretched a little thin so things are moving slower than I would like but rest assured that the facade will be finished before the snow flies.

Thank you all for your continuing patronage and patience as we work out the kinks in this new, family owned business.

Stromberg2

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, Histeric, people in downtown just don't know what they are missing. A tasty sandwich and bread pudding (addictive like crack LOL), at 6 in the evening is just as good as noon. C'mon people, get your asses down there and get some of the best deli sandwiches in the metro area!! I plan to do my part, just gotta get bigger clothes. The best of luck to you Histeric.

Stromberg2, In Monroe....yeah, I know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.