Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wilber Wright High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did any of you go to Wright in the mid to late fifty's

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't go but my football coach went there. When did Wilbur Wright and Philip Murray merge? And may I assume that when it happened that was when [the 'original'] DSA was established....?

Some recent photos I've taken of the old relic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/520947980/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/496511917/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/496511911/

(Message edited by waxx on June 12, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bohemianrobot has about 24 pix on his Flicker page too.

Caldogven

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldberg Trade a girl's vocational school merged with Wilbur Wright in 1957.
That last picture in Bohemianrobot's Flicker was my graduating class.

Waxx

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet pix. Looks like the 1st pic on your flickr page matches one of the pix I took of Wilbur Wright on Rosa Parks.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres mine:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/12/15/the_death_of_wilbur_wr ight.htm

My father-in-law graduated from there in the 60's, and seeing these photos almost brought him to tears.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Waxx - whered you find that class composite - thats CRAZY !

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did the school close?

Waxx

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry 2 disappoint, but that class composite didn't come from me, if I'm not mistaken, it was bohemianrobot on flickr.com. I plan 2 have a pro account by next week (so I can post MORE pix).

Caldogven

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx
That class photo gave my chills. When I enlarged it there I was! They had all of the class pictures hung near the ceiling in the first floor halls.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,

Gotta love consistency:

quote:

These people are a cancer to buildings, destroying entire walls to get at a few cents worth of scrap metal.

Preceded by:

quote:

Once inside, I was comforted by the tag of good friend and fellow explorer Nailhed. A tag which usually echoes my footsteps where ever I explore.

Yeah. Taggers aren't a cancer.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever, I cant compare marker on a wall to blasting it open and tearing shit out.

Waxx

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven, when I saw that class photo, Ive noticed a bit of diversity there. I'm curious, what was the name of the mascot (I'm assuming 'Pilots')? And if U have any pics in your old collection share 'em with us. And are ALL the class pix hung in the 1st floor hall 2 this day? How were U even able to get in the joint? You've sparked my curiosity big time!

Waxx

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know when Wilbur Wright (as a high school) closed, but I was recently informed that when it was then DSA it closed its doors in either 2003, or 2004. I believe that this was when the new one downtown opened (Woodward & MLK [Mack] area).

Mauser765

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WW is open in a hundred places.

No photo composites hanging in the halls currently.

The building currently sits ravaged by a tiny marker doodle on a stairwell wall.

Caldogven

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx
Yes it was "Pilots". The only pictures I have are in the yearbook. I'm not too knowledgable about scanning and posting photos, but I'll try.
The last time I was in the building was 1960 to get a copy of my records for a job interview.
What is the diversity?
The photos are Bohemianrobot's.

Waxx

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured that 'Pilots' was the mascot. It's still the mascot at Philip Murray (Murray-Wright) high school on Warren between Rosa Parks and 14th. I may take a peek inside of there one day. the only pix I currently have are the URLs I posted in a previous thread.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.