Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Streamlining DDOT bus routes. East side change ideas. What do you think. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been looking at the DDOT system map, and it seems that there are way to many routes going in all different confusing directions. To be honest, given the population loss and many vacant streets, it seems like there are just to many routes in one area. Ontop of that like I said the routes are very confusing as they divert down so many little streets, etc.

Anyway for fun I took the South East part of Detroit south of I-94, and drew out a whole new route design for that area of the city. Below is the routes I would operate. I would love your guys views on this route idea. Are the routes two far apart, to make walking to them easy? Are they straight forward enough, etc?

Basically my idea was to cut alot of the routes, and focus on a more simpler core number of routes, with better service frequency. Most people with my route idea would be within a 5min walk of a bus stop. And some would be within a 10min walk. But I think the added distance for some would be better, as we could boost service with more straight forward routes. Anyway your ideas.
---

BETTER BUSES SOUTH EAST.
-MORE FREQUENT SERVICE
-MORE STRAIGHT LESS CONFUSING ROUTES

THE JEFFERSON AVE AND GRATIOT AVE BUSES WOULD BE THE CORE ROUTES PROVIDING SERVICE TO DOWNTOWN DETROIT. THESE ROUTES WOULD RUN WITH VERY FREQUENT SERVICE DURING BUSY TIMES OF THE DAY, AND WOULD INCLUDE LIMITED STOP SERVICE DURING RUSH PERIODS.

ALL OTHER ROUTES ARE FEEDER SERVICE, THAT WOULD CONNECT WITH THE JEFFERSON, GRATIOT, OR WOODWARD AVE CORE ROUTES. CUSTOMERS WISHING TO TRAVEL DOWNTOWN WOULD HAVE TO TRANSFER TO THE CORE ROUTE. SERVICE WOULD BE FREQUENT ENOUGH THAT TRANSFERS WOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE.

THE ROUTES

1 JEFFERSON EAST: Operating along Jefferson Ave from Woodward and Jefferson to Jefferson and Atler Road. A branch of the Jefferson route will divert at Algonquin and Jefferson to Korte Street and Ashland on the extreme South East end of Detroit, near the city limits, providing service to the waterfront community in that area. FREQUENT SERVICE ROUTE. Service every 15min or less, seven days a week. Service every 20min or less late nights seven days a week.

2 GRATIOT: Operating along Gratiot Ave from downtown Detroit to Eastland Mall.
FREQUENT SERVICE ROUTE. Service every 10min or less, seven days a week. Service every 15min or less late nights seven days a week.

3 VENOR HIGHWAY EAST: Operating from Woodward and Alfred Streets to Kercheval and Atler road, via Alfred, Brush, Wilkins, Russell, Adelaide, Venor Highway, St Jean, Kercheval. This route provides service to Eastern Market. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

4 MACK EAST: Operating from Woodward and Mack to Eastland Mall, via Mack, Moross, Kelly Road, 8 Mile Road. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

5 WARREN EAST: Operating from Woodward and Warren to Mack and Warren, via Warren. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

6 CONNER SOUTH: Operating from Gratiot and Conner to Jefferson and Conner, via Conner. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

7 OUTER-ATLER: Operating from Gratiot and Outer Drive East to Atler and Mack, via Outer Drive East, and Atler. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

8: CADILLAC: Operating from Shoemaker and Gratiot to Cadillac and Jefferson, via Shoemaker and Cadillac. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

9: EAST GRAND: Operating from Grand Blvd and Woodward to Belle Isle Park, via East Grand Blvd. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

10 CHENE: Operating from Chene Park to GM Cadillac Plant, via Chene St. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are some good ideas.

I don't know if there are enough businesses and population along and around East Grand Blvd to justify its own route.

Although it would be nice if a bus went INTO AND AROUND Belle Isle.

Also, I think Chene Street is not long enough, nor is there enough population and businesses along it to justify creating a Chene Street only route.

Also, concerning the WARREN EAST route, why would you want to eliminate the Crosstown Route that goes along Warren Avenue from the far east to the far west side?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are some good ideas.

I don't know if there are enough businesses and population along and around East Grand Blvd to justify its own route.

Although it would be nice if a bus went INTO AND AROUND Belle Isle.

Also, I think Chene Street is not long enough, nor is there enough population and businesses along it to justify creating a Chene Street only route.

Also, concerning the WARREN EAST route, why would you want to eliminate the Crosstown Route that goes along Warren Avenue from the far east to the far west side?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5198
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I have very little faith in those that read maps and never directly use and observe usage trying to determine routes.

quote:

10 CHENE: Operating from Chene Park to GM Cadillac Plant, via Chene St. FEEDER ROUTE: Service every 15-30min or better seven days a week

Do you actually realize many of the current riders use this line to get to and from their jobs in Downtown Detroit? Your plan would add an additional transfer that is currently handled economically to the terminus in Capitol Park.

Not really impressed at all.

And, yes, I depend on the bus system for my needs, cutting routes limits my choices as well as others. Limiting them to the major streets would create hardships for the current users. Imagine cutting the Lafayette lines, they run parallel to the Jefferson line 2 blocks south for about 3 - 4 miles, not a big deal, unless you are in a wheelchair or have to use a walker.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 568
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem though is that something is going to have to give. There are so many routes operating at bad frequencies, every two blocks or so, and with very confusing routing.

With the depopulation, it might be time to streamline routes for now, and provide better service. Having a route within 5min walking distance of most people is pretty good.

Also concerning transfers. If it a transfer to a high frequency route, its really not a big deal.

Most systems use core routes and feeders buses. Because really we could cover more ground by not sending every bus downtown.

Anyway its just ideas, not like it is going to be done :-) And plus, thats why you would consult with people before making changes anyway. These are just ideas. Of course riders would have to say what they think.

Concerning the Warren route. It could continue west once it hits Woodward.

Anyway those are my ideas to streamline and make the routes more easy to use, because the way it looks right now, its very confusing, and just a whole bunch of infrequent routes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.