Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » How About That! Verlander pitches 1st Comerica Park no hitter « Previous Next »
Justin Verlander Throws No-Hitter For Tigers Against Milwaukee Bre...Zephyrprocess11 06-13-07  12:30 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Tigers win!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the first home No-No since 1958 and the first franchise since 1984 (Morris)...

david

Bte_in_va
Username: Bte_in_va

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah for the Goochland, VA native!!!

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

watched it online as i'm down in North Carolina currently. It brought a huge smile to my face to see him and Tigers do such greatness. Damn i love them Tigs.

Scoop1967
Username: Scoop1967

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole 9th inning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FFHjKIGQ1uw

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6039
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Tigers!!!!!!!!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attendance at CoPa is up this year significantly too. Avg. attendance at 34k and some change as opposed to 26k and change last year. Go Tigers!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there
Was great
Will never forget it

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big deal. Virgil Trucks tossed two in one year. :-)
hehe

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5403
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sigh... never satisfied, Rhymeswithrawk.

I won't discount those but I'll savor this one.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just bitter cuz I was watching it from my cubicle and not the ballpark, Smogboy.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amazing thing about Virgil Trucks was that he pitched not one but TWO no-hitters in 1952, but only won 5 games all season while losing nearly 20, and the Tigers finished last that year. Unbelievable!!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verlander is a stud.

Was anyone upset that Rod Allen and the other guy did not mention the no no until it actually happened? Apparently some people were upset. I'm glad they did not say a word because i subscribe to the jinx theory from time to time.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have been upset if they had said something. It's common knowledge that you don't mention a no hitter during the game.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verlander is a stud pitcher. No doubt.

I indicated in another thread the great job Dombrowski is doing with Ilitch's money.

Tigs are drafting and signing the best prospects who are getting passed over as small market teams don't want to pony up big signing bonuses.

Verlander was passed over as the 1st pick of the 2004 MLB draft by San Diego who didn't want to spend big bucks. I don't even think the San Diego pick is in the big leagues yet.

Then in '05, the Tigs drafted the best high school player (Cameron Maybin) as teams passed on him because of $.

Then Andrew Miller best player in the '06 draft. Five teams passed because of $.

Twenty six teams passed on Rick Porcello the best high school pitcher in the '07 draft because of $. The Yanks were sitting at #30 salivating and praying for a chance to draft him. No such luck.

Some day well we'll see Verlander, Bonderman, Miller and Porcello (hoping he signs) as a tremendous starting rotation.

There is an axiom in baseball, "You can't have too much pitching."

All is well in Detroit and CoPa.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Caputo (the book) mentioned on his radio show some time back that Veralanders agent was being a hard ass and demanding huge dollars........that's when Verlanders father stepped in and said the Tigers were making a good and reasonable offer, put a stop to the agent antics; and the deal was done....thank you Mr. Verlander!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost as exciting as the World Series run last year. Way to go Verlander!

(I'm "almost" becoming a baseball fan..... Well..... at least..... becoming a Tigers fan.)

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

INCREDIBLE!!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking of going to the game! I even drove by the stadium!!

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unschlagbar!

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sitting in the dayroom in Bamberg Germany watching the game of the week in 1984 as just about the only Tiger fan in a room full of hostile White Sox fans, watching Jack Morris dismantle the Chisox, standing up to each and every one of those infidels, being the only one to go to bed a happy baseball fan, talking shit the rest of the season, thank God the season ended the way it did. The same result this year?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fell asleep during the game but woke up for the post game coverage.

I was thinking of driving to Philly for the games Sat. night (Andrew Miller) and Sunday (Verlander).

But why drive up to Philly as I missed Verlander's gem unless he promises to try for a 2nd ala Virgil Trucks. ;-)

BTW, Citylover - I remember that story about how Mr. Verlander helped get the signing done. Justin signed really late (Sept. '04, I think) and missed a chance to pitch some that summer.

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 13, 2007)

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband called me on his way home from work and said he was thinking about taking the kid to a baseball game, so I stopped at the stadium and picked up tickets for them at 5:00. Pretty much made his summer I think. Crazy.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And people think there are no memories to be made at Comerica Park. hahaha

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar effused:
quote:

And people think there are no memories to be made at Comerica Park. hahaha

Be careful, or it'll become so full of memories that they'll have to tear it down, like Tiger Stadium.

Lovin' the old ballparks in Ottawa.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to see Bill Clinton's speech and when he didnt show up, I headed over to Comerica.... Nice decision....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Verlander!

Hey, anybody catch Rogers' rehab start with the Mud Hens? That would have been a fun game to go see.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great quotes from a confused member of the Milwaukee Brew Crew.

I'd love to cite where I got this but I can't find it. Assume it was a Detroit paper.

Said Tony Graffanino, the Brewers second baseman: "The guy was throwing 99 with a great hook and a good change. That's tough to beat.

"(The seagulls) didn't make a difference. But I don't know how you can say they aren't a distraction -- birds flying around when the guy is throwing 99. It isn't why he no-hit us, but I would rather have faced him without the birds."

Graffanino struck out in all four at-bats, looking particularly bad on the first one.

"I actually swung at a bird," he said of that at-bat.

With the double speak the poor confused batter (4 strikeouts) has a possible career in politics.

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Brewer fan, that game was frustrating. The Brewers have been imploding the last month and a half. Great to see a no hitter, though. Cool to see the Brewers in Detroit. Just like the old American League days.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no doubt that game would have been frustrating to a Brewers fan. Hey, it was nice to see Prince Fielder back in Detroit though. Even if he didn't get to rocket one out of the park like his old man.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with all of these young studs and other pitching prospects being drafted, do you believe that the Tigers will be able to hold on to all of them if they all live up to their billing? If so, Illitch's payroll will look like that of the Yankees and you can say goodbye to the $5 Skyline tickets.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woot!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11600
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If so, Illitch's payroll will look like that of the Yankees and you can say goodbye to the $5 Skyline tickets.

Uh...have you tried buying the $5 tickets lately? You'd have a better chance at winning the lottery.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean that in the sense that they sell out way ahead of time, or that the box office people try to avoid letting you in for $5 until the last minute (and put big groups up there)?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"----------------------------- ------------------------------ ---------------------
Even with all of these young studs and other pitching prospects being drafted, do you believe that the Tigers will be able to hold on to all of them if they all live up to their billing?..."

Someone who knows MLB better then me can explain the fine details about how long a player like Verlander would belong to Detroit before being eligible for free agency. We don't have to worry about Verlander for at least a few more years.

A player like Bonderman would have been eligible soon so he and the Tigs worked out a contract extension.

Tigs have been doing an EXCELLENT job extending players like Guillen, Polanco, Bonderman, etc.

The only player Det lost last year was Walker, a valuable bull pen pitch who I believe wanted a fat 4 year contract which was too long for a pitcher at his age.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Uh...have you tried buying the $5 tickets lately? You'd have a better chance at winning the lottery"

A quick search for the five dollar specials on the Tigers website resulted in tickets being available as early as next week, but I see your point. What I was actually referring to is that the cheapest ticket for entry into the park would probably only continue to escalate.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all in favor of tickets at ALL prices ranges and hope the Tigs do keep some inexpensive ones.

However, one needs to realize that Ilitch apparently made a decision, probably implicit if not explicit, to treat the Tigs like a 'big market' team in terms of the team salary numbers.

Ilitch is paying big bucks for Pudge, Maggs, Guillen, Polanco, Rogers, Sheff, etc. etc.

His only bargain players would be the young kids like Verlander, Granderson, Zumaya, etc. (they'll have their day with big bucks in a few years).

I've heard some guesses about the size of the Tigers' payroll and it has really gone up the last few years.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had that day off. I was thinking about going to the game. I cleaned my apartment instead.

Thanks a lot, Mom, for teaching me to clean up after myself. look where it got me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.