Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 100 year old photo blog « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hanna Furnaces, Great Lakes Steel, 1942

not a lot of Detroit pictures, but a cool site

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo is from the Library of Congress collection of Farm Security Administration photographs:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ query/D?fsaall:5:./temp/~ammem _qdiO::

"Dave," who submitted the photo, credited the photographer but also should have credited the LOC website.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, thanks for that linkage! I checked out that site this AM and loved the photos. The WWII color always gets me. Most of my memories of that piece of history are in black and white, this is why I really dig those Kodachrome shots. Very cool, indeed. And the same thanks go to Burnsie, for the same reasons.

Bertz
Username: Bertz

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coke ovens?

Burnsie

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can download extremely high resolution TIFF files of those photos from the LOC website. I burned a bunch onto DVD. Keyword "Detroit" in the color section, and there are 15 photos. Eight of them are of the steel mills. Of the remainder, you don't want to miss the pics taken from the Maccabees Building and looking east-west-north-south, and the one from the Fisher Building looking down on Second Ave.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially with the large-format (not 35mm) Kodachrome scans, it's like looking through a window into a lost world. The film was very slow back then so there's an overall dark shading to most of the pictures, but the detail and color are AMAZING.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

low density isn't always a bad thing

Grand Circus Park, 1921

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an AWESOME site...I spent the better part of Wed afternoon going thru it.

Really makes you appreciate what we have now-a-days.

The old pics of Detroit are incredible.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool shot! I was surprised to see that it was taken by ARTHUR SIEGEL. I just saw an exhibit of Arthur Siegel photos here in SoCal. He was a pretty prolific photographer back in the day, and studied at U of M.

http://www.stephencohengallery .com/artists/vintage/siegel.ht ml

(Message edited by gsgeorge on June 14, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.