Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Officials from the City of Detroit, Ilitch Holdings, and the Detroit Historical Society will comb through old Tiger Stadium in the next couple of weeks to remove significant historic artifacts before public auction and demolition.

In the meantime, the City of Cleveland announced plans to spend $8.5 million to restore League Park, home of the Cleveland Indians until 1947. As a Clevelander by birth, I am thrilled to see the city finally recognizing the historic significance and community value of the old park. As a Detroiter by choice, I wonder if some parts of Cleveland's plan are appropriate for Tiger Stadium.

http://www.cleveland.com/sport s/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/ sports-1/1181395930197590.xml& coll=2

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds very similar to the current Tiger stadium plan. I believe the Tiger stadium plan is actually much grander than the Cleveland plan. The cleveland plan only looks like it's building a park. The Tiger stadium plan includes the building of condos and businesses to surround the field.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree with Ndavies here. Both plans are quite similar. Good for Cleveland for moving ahead with that project.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still glad they'r saving the field in Tiger Stadium.

hopefully some of this new development will help Corktown too.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am not sure I would say the Tiger Stadium plan is grander the proposal for League Park in Cleveland. According to the last article in the Detroit papers, the city was looking to level the everything, if the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy couldn't raise funding by July--an incredibly short deadline for fund-raising. So who knows what is going up and what is getting saved.

Plus $8.5 million is going into the Cleveland project that is pure civic use. Detroit is looking for a return on every dollar, so from the city's perspective the preservation of Tiger Stadium is shaping up to be more a matter of convenience for the developer than a true civic project.

Also, as of right now, everything for preserving anything of the ballpark rests on the shoulders of the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, and as they haven't come out with their plans, you can't make any comparisons to the League Park project yet.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tearingf down Tiger Stadium and puttin' in a parkin' lot.......that's Detroit love!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.