Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Finally.. Crosswinds Garden Lofts in Brush Park grand opening « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crosswindsus.com/mi chigan/detroit_garden_lofts_wo odward_place/grand_opening.pdf

open house this weekend..I like the rendering of the patio/courtyard

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had a tour back in april. talk about urban density. this is hot

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like they'll beat out The Ellington's grand opening by at least a year and a half... : P

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're using geothermal heating.. interesting. Anyone have experience with this type of system?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, anyone know if they're going to build another one of these? they sold out so fast and it looks like they have the land available..

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have more plans for development all the way over to Brush. I once went in to their office and they had a model of all of Brush Park in there. It will just be interesting to see how their product morphs. The modern rowhouse design was done to death, and the most recent lofts were more of a standard modern apartment-loft design. I'd like to see something 5-10 stories somewhere among their developments, but I'll take anything because they are providing some quality construction.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus, I live in crosswinds condos right next to it on Woodward. They head of construction told me that they own 3 more parcels of land scattered throughout BP, and the ultimate plan is to build the exact same thing on these other lots. They said they were exploring putting retail on the ground floor of the new ones.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was shocked that crosswinds had rehabs tall apartment buildings in brush park an made them into bed an breakfast

Thejesus

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems too removed from a visible main road for ground floor retail to be practical but glad to hear there's more in the works

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the idea would be for convenience stores/small cafes to serve the growing BP population.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geothermal heating and cooling, while having a high up front capital cost, costs virtually nothing to operate. It will pay itself off in about 7-10 years depending on what energy prices do and the equipment last for 60 or more years. It's incredibly efficient. The Lafayette Park townhomes have all converted over to geothermal

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago I had the pleasure of sitting next to Bernie Glieberman at an event, and we got on the topic of his Woodward Place / Brush Park development. He said the Woodward project was an unexpected success. At the time, Coleman Young had a lot of public money moving into the Victoria Park development, which Mr. Glieberman was pursuing. The Mayor told him 'you want to build in Victoria Park, you have to build on Woodward'. Crosswinds was taking a huge gamble, and according to BG, he was only hoping to break even. Much to his suprise, a market existed that even the experts didn't understand. Credit CAY for making it happen.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, Crosswinds bought this land in BP in the CAY era?

...when do we get movement along the west side of Woodward. Who the hell owns those lots?

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of lofts...has anyone seen the big sign for Grand Lofts or Garden Lofts @ E. Grand Blvd. and Vernor?
Could be interesting.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iddude313:

there's a thread about it here...

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/104667.html?1181846778

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, the Bed and Breakfast in BP was NOT done by Crosswinds. That was a private investor.

Second, BP will now be doing fill-in buildings between JohnR and Brush. The story goes (as I heard it), before Crosswinds even broke ground 6 years ago for their first buildings, it took them 7 years to collect the land and free the titles. So, basically, they have been working on this project for 12 years or more!

Finally, the land on the WEST side of Woodward is mostly owned by the City. The last I had heard was they were collecting all their parcels and preparing for an RFQ, but that was the last I heard about 9 months ago. Plans can change very quickly and I am no longer in contact with "people in the know", so I don't know any new status.

Oh... and I might add, the Garden Lofts "sold out" 18 months ago, but since then, many lofts have come available, again. Changing times and changing financial situations cause this kind of stuff to happen... So, if you're still interested in one of these lofts, go check them out this weekend. I think they are incredible...

(Message edited by detroitduo on June 15, 2007)

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 353
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real estate agent for crosswinds told me they renovated the tall apt building right in the heart of brush park and converted to bed n breakfast, oh well guess she lied. I asked about the property west of woodward, she said they did bid on the land, but there original plan of simular brownstone condos was shot down by the city in favor of more dense developement with ground floor retail.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like how the Garden Lofts look from the freeway.

Honestly, If the crosswinds were dressed up with a little more "urban" exterior features, they wouldn't be so bad. I don't know..say a metal/sand blasted concrete swap with whats there now. I think eventually we'll see an exterior "upgrade".

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Garden Lofts selling out: A crosswinds builder informed me that real estate agent collected a bunch of deposits from his family members, got about $80,000 in commission from the "sales" then quit the next week. Those family members of course got their money back and the units once again have become available. Perfectly legal I was told

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.