Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Never said I was bright....... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta share a chuckle. After buying a 2008 Ford Escape for my annual drive from Vegas to Detroit, I did my usual grousing on the road about getting nothing but farm reports and bible thumping on the radio.

Only last night while driving through beautiful Livonia did I discover the damn car came with Sirius satellite radio. I could'a been doing Sinatra for 2,000 miles instead of the crap I listened to. Duh. :-( :-)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or at least the various Black Sabbath albums during the Osbourne era and post too of course.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, that sucks man...

Sirius is great...I've had it since '04...I mostly listen to the news stations though (CNN, Fox News)but the music and sport are great as well...

btw, I'm curious about your annual drive from Vegas to Detroit and why you need to buy a new car for such a thing

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are 2,000 miles you'll never get back.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reflections....When do the 2009's come out? Do you think the auto industry will have a leap year?

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on June 14, 2007)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also curious how long the drive took you?

The record time for my drive from the front door of my place in Brooklyn to my folks home in Madison Heights is about 10.5 hours.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The record time for my drive from the front door of my place in Brooklyn to my folks home in Madison Heights is about 10.5 hours."

Really? I've done it in about 8.5, Manhattan to the westside of Detroit... Do you make a lot of stops or just obey the speed limit?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I could'a been doing Sinatra for 2,000 miles instead of the crap I listened to."

I figure that after I die and I go to hell, I'll hear plenty of Sinatra down there.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just obey the speed limit, so I'm doing under 80 mph the whole time. Also figure it takes me a half hour just to get over the Brooklyn Bridge. Still 8.5 is remarkable time.

Even my last trip by air, my door-to-door time was about 6 hours because the NY airports are such a pain and then there's the 45 minute drive from the airport to my folks. Never heard of anyone making that NY-Detroit drive so quick.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 70's my family regularly took our large Ford station wagon on non-stop journeys from Detroit to NY and NJ in 9 to 10 hours. My Father had a led foot and liked to drive at night to avoid traffic. Mostly AM radio all the way while traveling down the Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Never heard of anyone making that NY-Detroit drive so quick.

I'm a bit of a lead foot and I make most of my gains on time through Pennsylvania. I rarely see cops in central Pa, and they're usually easy to spot when they are out. I keep it mainly between 85 and 95... windows down to preserve gas, of course. Once you cross into Ohio, the party is essentially over... Definitely over once you get onto the turnpike.

I also usually travel it alone which allows me to do things at my own speed, and not stop every hour.

Which airport do you fly out of? I usually try and get the first flight out in the morning from LGA when security lines are pretty short. It usually doesn't take me more than 20 minutes to get through security.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went out of JFK. Took the bus at Grand Central at 5pm, so it took me an hour and a half just to get to the airport. Plus we get to the airport two hours before departure--not my rule, but it isn't a bad one nowadays.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, any friend of Frank is a friend of mine.

the official drink: Jack daniels and water, on the rocks. Mix, then let it sit a little while, to come into its own.

Ring a ding-ding!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I hate going out of JFK because it takes so long to get there on mass transit. I took the A train there but I hear the E train is faster to get you into midtown.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness for my iPod for when I travel.

But I know what you mean. Sometimes those long hauls can be brutal.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"btw, I'm curious about your annual drive from Vegas to Detroit and why you need to buy a new car for such a thing"

Well, we retired to Vegas 'cause we don't do winter very well. But Michigan in summertime is heaven on earth, so we come back every year for a couple of weeks. Our old car, a '99 Explorer, turned over 100,000 miles this spring. It's prolly good for 200, but making a cross country trip with that many miles on it made me antsy, so to our friendly Ford dealer we went.

First day, Vega, Texas, 800 miles and change. Second day, just past St. Louis, another 800 miles. Day three into metro Detroit and just under 600 miles. I'm proud to report 30.3 MPG for the trip.

Everyone knows that Texas goes on forever. But did you know that New Mexico goes on beyond that? At least it seems that way.......

Ray1936

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Reflections....When do the 2009's come out? Do you think the auto industry will have a leap year?"

Yeah, it kind of rung my bell when the salesman said it was an '08 model. Was manufatured May 5 in KC MO. These marketing geniuses will have their way, I suppose.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, it takes a good man to laugh at himself. That story would have been even more tragic if you had groused about all the farm reports, bible thumping and those damned Sirius satellite radio ads.

Pork belly futures vs. Sinatra: Sinatra wins hands down. Those pigs can't hold a note. :-)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Mexico and Arizona are two states that I don't look forward to going east/west through.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: Sinatra

It was Frank's World.
We just lived in it.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'36 ( KQA 414-on the way). A little senior moment or two makes one humble. Welcome home. Remember that our stop signs are now white on red and no longer black on yellow.You don't want to get stopped by one of your buddies.
And Traffic Court is no longer held in the old Wayne County Building. And cops no longer sell tickets on the street corners downtown for the Annual Policeman's/Fireman's Field Day at Brigg's Stadium.
Lots of changes around here.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KQA 371 was better. Always was a west sider.

I did hit a chunk of the C of D today on the Southfield freeway, and noticed that Herman Gardens was now urban meadowlands.

Islandman, I couldn't agree more about AZ and NM. So when we head back we'll do Nebraska (ugh), Colorado, and Utah instead. Actually, the stretch in AZ from Flag to Kingman is pretty scenic, but the 200 miles from the NM state line to Flag is Arizona's armpit.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the 200 miles from the NM state line to Flag is Arizona's armpit.

Except for those giant, tourist-bait dinosaurs along the way. How delightfully tacky!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'know, I always wanted, in my dozens and dozens of trips, to stop at meteor crater near Winslow. You can even see the crater's rim from I-40 if you know where to look. But I've never stopped there yet. Some day.........

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"KQA-414" Rules, dude..it kicks your KQA-371's ass.

What's cooler? a Tacticle Mobile Unit, or a Spreen Scooter?

Answer: Neither!

Ray1936

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do da address of 9999 Iris do anything for ya? LOL :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Meteor Crater, they stand on the edge and stare at the center through binoculars then wonder why they bothered detouring for it. It's big but not worth a second look. No one bothers to go all the way down there.

Walnut Canyon was interesting if you're into ancient cultures. We entered an empty cliff dwelling there -- legally. It was spooky to know that people actually spent their entire lives in an area that remote.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That'd be worth a stop. Visited Mesa Verde in Colorado a couple of times and it was fascinating. I tromp around a half dozen remote places around Las Vegas with ancient petroglyphs. Just sit my rump on a rock and wonder about them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.