Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Prop 2 proponent named to advise US Commission on Civil Rights « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, minority advocacy groups are upset by this as they do not welcome opposing viewpoints and believe the civil rights movement only exists to serve the interests of racial minorities

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/P OLITICS/706120383

(Message edited by thejesus on June 14, 2007)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the outrage comes because Leon Drolet is a walking contradiction in terms. He claims to have want government to be cut, and that people are paid too much, but has no problem taking his lifetime health benefits for his time in the State House. Of course then there is his voting record of opposing almost anything that would help people if it costs any money. He says mass transit is a waste of money. And as head of the Michigan Taxpayers Alliance, he is on a mission to turn us into a southern state with no taxes, but also no services. But the people in Macomb Township unfortunately kept voting him into the State House, but then tern limits took care of that so now he is back to being a Macomb County Commissioner. Can we outsource him to the south?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been my experience that only those whose livlihood depends upon being on the government dole, are the ones who protest the loudest about any attempts to rein in government spending.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob:

while all those things may be true, that doesn't seem to be their argument...

their argument is that, because he supported Prop 2, then he must be a racist and therefore shouldn't be involved in advising the US on civil rights

that dumb b*tch Shanta Driver even compared him to George Wallace for christ sake...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is pretty weak argument to base it on just that. If you dig a little deeper on Leon and look at his voting record and statements by him you get more of an argument. I am getting annoyed by reading all these letters to the editor by him having to do with the budget crisis. He always has the solution of cut cut cut, do not tax to not spend, but then has no answers on how to pay for things, like his lifetime benefits. The Civil Rights Commission has not even been meeting in the past two years. No one really ever listens to Leon anyways, they just take him for the nut he is. Prop 2 already has someone in a spot of power making sure it is enforced, Mike Cox.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Leon Drolet is right on affirmative action but the man is hardly a bigot. The position that civil rights laws should stop at non-discrimination and not expand to include programs to create diversity or make up for past wrongs is valid even if I don't agree. It's also worth noting that, unlike his Republican colleagues and many of the Elmer Gantry ministers opposing Prop 2, Drolet believes non-discrimination laws should be extended to include sexual orientation.

Like I say I think Drolet's politics are simplistic but he walks the libertarian walk.

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus - Why do you have to call the woman a "dumb b*tch*"? You could make your point just as well without it. That type of language takes away from what you have to say.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.