Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Justin Verlander display and weekend at the Detroit Historical Museum « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT HISTORICAL SOCIETY OFFERING “JUSTIN VERLANDER WEEKEND” AND A SPECIAL LIMITED TIME DISPLAY AT THE DETROIT HISTORICAL MUSEUM
TO CELEBRATE TUESDAY’S NO-HITTER AT COMERICA PARK

DETROIT – In celebration of Detroit Tiger Justin Verlander’s historic no-hitter Tuesday night at Comerica Park, the Detroit Historical Society has put together a special limited time display and admission promotion which debuts Saturday at the Detroit Historical Museum.

From Saturday, June 16 through Sunday, July 8 (the last day before the All Star Break), visitors will be able to see a display featuring Justin Verlander and Tiger memorabilia while learning details of the six no-hitters in the 107-year history of the team. During the three-week run of the display, all children 17 and under wearing their Tiger gear will receive free admission during regular Museum hours. In addition, the first 100 guests during “Justin Verlander Weekend” this Saturday and Sunday will receive a special Detroit Tigers giveaway item.

Special artifacts featured in the exhibit include the following:
• A ball used in Tuesday night’s game;
• A scorecard, program and ticket stub from Tuesday night’s game;
• A 2006 World Series Justin Verlander uniform jersey;
• A framed photo and pitching rubber signed by Verlander;
• Photos of the other four pitchers who had thrown no-hitters as Tigers, including Jack Morris (April 7, 1984 in Chicago), Jim Bunning (July 20, 1958 in Boston) Virgil Trucks (May 15, 1952 at Briggs Stadium and August, 25, 1952 in New York) and the late George Mullin (July 4, 1912 vs. St. Louis);
• A program and ticket stub from Morris’ 1984 no-hit gem from Comiskey Park.

“Justin Verlander made history this week, and we’re happy to share this incredible story with a display and special promotion that we think our visitors – and all Tiger fans – will enjoy,” said Bob Bury, the Society’s executive director. “The Detroit Tigers and the Ilitch Holdings Corporate Archives, along with members of the public, also came through with some great items that people will want to see.”

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, that might be going a bit far.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever gets people in the door, I guess.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a ticket from the game (thump thump), you guys can come over and see it for $5.

(actually I think the Verlander exhibit is a cool idea, see the rubber before it goes to Cooperstown)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4441
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator please move Hoog's post to the shout out thread.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad to see that the historical museum is trying new things, now that they aren't held back by the racist city that formerly held their rains.

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right: We're trying to get people in the door. Around here, moments don't often come along that have the power to bring all of metro Detroit together and inspire dreams. I'm particularly interested in this as an opportunity for parents and grandparents to spend time with their kids. Baseball has always been a great bonding experience for my dad and me. That's why I insisted that we make admission free for kids. One parent could bring as many kids as he or she likes and pay only $6 for all of them to spend a couple of hours at the museum. We may get a lot of people in the door, but we won't make any money on it. And that's not the point anyway. Celebrating Detroit is the point. Finding things in common in the point. Doing something for families is the point.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.