Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Duplexes in Northwest Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When our family moved to Detroit from Los Angeles, we lived in a duplex apartment on Greenfield south of Seven Mile from 1964 to 1968 before moving to Oak Park. I remember we had a box in the kitchen that had a door to the outside. A truck brought milk, bread and other perishables once a week and left them in the box. Dirty clothes were carried from the 2nd floor to the basement by way of a cool laundry chute I haven't seen in any other house since. Sometimes things would get stuck in the chute and we'd have to put something heavy like a book down to push the clothes through. We burned most of our trash in the back alleyway. Can someone relate any history on who designed and built all the duplexes in this area?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know who built them, but I heard laundry chutes have fallen by the wayside because they are against fire codes now. Great memories.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew an elderly gentleman, now passed, who worked as a carpenter from the early thirties until the late seventies. He told me that the Evergreen Duplexes were built by two builders, perhaps Greenway (this was a while ago, I'm getting fuzzy on the exact details), all up and down Evergreen.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could be Greenway Construction Co. Who build these rows of the brick duplexes along Greenfield Ave. Southfield Rd. Evergreen, Schaefer HWY, Wyoming Ave. and Stopel Park areas since the late 1920s to early 1950s or someone else. From the developers of College park, Lashley Cox, Rosedale Park, Grandmont, Bagley and etc...

Your ghettohood is well kept up by black folks who bought those homes from mostly middle class Jewish Families since the mide 1970s.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both the house I grew up in (Livonia) and the house I own today (in Oak Park) have working laundry chutes. My mom's has the clothes dropped into a cabinet with a door. Mine falls on top of the hapless person sitting under it in the basement! :-)

The milk chutes have long been covered over. The milkman still delivered to our house until I was about six or seven years old in the mid 1960's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.