Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Why do some say Lasher instead of Lahser? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand why someone might misread the street name Lahser the first time and pronounce it Lasher. But why do some long-time residents insist that Lasher is the correct pronunciation?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cuz (because) they are ignorant?

(Message edited by jimg on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by quozl on June 15, 2007)

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 872
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always been Lasher...and Livernoise, too, while we're on the subject.
Quozl, seems odd for someone who spells "cause" as "cuz" to suggest others are ignorant.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People still can't figure out how to pronounce Goethe.

(gur-tuh)

I lived in Southfield for 4 years and consistently hear Lasher all over the place. No stranger than people visiting NY and pronouncing Houston Street like we pronounce the city. Now that's an interesting tidbit...anyone know why it's "How-ston" for the street yet "Hew-ston" for the city?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that some people call Dequindre Deek-in-dire, or Gratiot as Grat-ee-yaht

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how bout Yip-silanti?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These same people would be heard at the Coney Island ordering a Jie-Row

Hawthorne

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn: According to Wikipedia: "The street name Houston (pronounced HOW-stin) confuses many people from outside of New York (invariably becoming one of the easiest signs of spotting tourists) because the letters "ou" are pronounced as in the word house, whereas the same letters in the name of the city of Houston, Texas (pronounced HYOO-stin) are pronounced like the "u" in huge. This is because Houston Street was named for William Houstoun (note that the spelling is different), long before the fame of Sam Houston, for whom the city in Texas is named."

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up three blocks from Lahser and it was always prounounced Lah-ser.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quozl, seems odd for someone who spells "cause" as "cuz" to suggest others are ignorant.

Thanks Jimg for your odd observation and edit, I appreciate it!

(Message edited by quozl on June 15, 2007)

Hawthorne

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always fun to hear radio broadcasters who are new to the Detroit area try to pronounce some of our french place-names as if they were actually French. Day-can-druh, Day-twah, Lee-vehr-nwah, etc.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up hearing it called Lasher. I personally don't think its worth arguements. It never made me upset to hear it pronounced differently.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with all the strange editing today?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5353
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always been Lasher. It was out in Yeminsville somewhere far Westside to this yokel from Wyoming and Schoolcraft.

Lahser was mispronounced by those living in the suburbs, expecially Lathrop Village with their noses up in the fucking air.

Eastsiders, pronounce Gratiot for us.

Thanks for the Houston article. Great explaination.

jjaba.

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The street signs on Lahser between the Lodge and 12 Mile used to say Lasher in the 70s. It changed in the 80s. I grew up with people calling it Lasher until the signs changed

Johnlodge

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If "Houston" is pronounced "Howston", then shouldn't SoHo be pronounced SoHow?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think of it, since south is pronounced "Sowth", the district should be called SowHow. Welcome to the trendy district of SowHow.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SowHow is how someone from Alabama would pronounce SoHo. Heh.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"SowHow is how someone from Alabama would pronounce SoHo. Heh."

I was thinking someone from the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lahser family was on J.P. McCarthy's Focus program on WJR many years ago and told him they had always pronounced their name "Lash-er"

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother lived on Lahser and we always said Lasher.

Lahser = Lasher

Bois Blanc = Boblo

Livernois = Liver-noy

(Message edited by gsgeorge on June 15, 2007)

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my personal favorites is a street on the east side: Marseilles, pronounced "Marcellus", not "Mar-say". Since I'm not from that neighborhood I make no claim to know which is correct.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an eastsider, we never called it "Marcellus" - it was always "Mar-say." "Cad-jew" was never "Cad-ee-oox" either; and of course no self-respecting eastsider would say "Gra-tee-ot" for Gratiot. Regional pronunciations are always going to happen (I lived in western Missouri for a while where Nevada was "Nev-ay-da"). Probably what makes the Lasher/Lahser debate more controversial is that even the locals can't seem to agree on it.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Reno, Nevada, it was always fun to hear the tourists mispronounce the state name (they'd invariably say "neh-VAHH-duh"). But the town of Nevada, Iowa is pronounced "neh-VAY-duh," just as the town of Eldorado, Texas is pronounced "el-duh-RAY-duh."

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well sheesh, it doesn't matter. Just like the Sander's Ice Cream, it's just another street to drive on. Some can call it Shitty for all I care.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say Lah-ser, but then I also say Feb-ru-ary.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the great "aunt" debate pronounced as "AHnt" and "ant." Inner-city residents prefer the former, while surbanites tend to use the latter.

Suburbanite:
My "ant" lives by "LAHser."
Urbanite:
My "AHnt" lives by "LASHer

I pronounce the street in both manners, but it annoys the wind out of me when I hear "LiverNOISE" instead of Li-ver-noi" (Livernois).

Or "La-FEH-et" instead of "Lah-fai-YETTE" (Lafayette).

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, what sound does a "liver" make?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what sound does a "liver" make?

"spoik," when you stomp on it.

I've heard New Englanders and others pronounce it as "AHnt."

It caught me off guard at first. I learned it as "ant."

Cambrian

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno, but I know what a colon sounds like.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young_Detroit wouldn't the second sentence read "My ahnt STAYS by LASHer?"

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ant ahnt thing is most likely the difference in regional accents - ahnt is not common around here among residents of a generation or two - it's that northern cities vowel shifting going on

a few interesting comments on Detroit v Windsor accents here

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's always fun to hear radio broadcasters who are new to the Detroit area"

Paul W Smith pronounces "detroit" as "dee TROT".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.