Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sanders or "Saunders" for fudge? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brother_james
Username: Brother_james

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just returned home from the Detroit area and I was pleased to once again find a Sanders store, this one in Wyandotte. I understand that the brand has been bought and there are four stores open so far. The lady who manages the Wyandotte store pointed out that people in downriver almost universally say "Saunders" rather than the way the name is spelled, Sanders. I grew up always hearing "Saunders" and never really looked that closely at the spelling. But if I met John Sanders, I wouldn't say "Saunders". So... what do you say? Sanders, or "Saunders"?

(Message edited by brother_james on June 15, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5358
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders in Detroit, Saunders in the suburbs.

jjaba on the Westside eating a hot fudge puff and water in a dixie cup with pewter holder.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of Saunders, always Sanders.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. Sanders.
My friend always tells me i'm wrong and that its Sawn ders.
Sanders.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Sanders or sawnders.
I and my family have always have always pronounced it "Sonders"...........

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The family name is Sanders - like Sand + Ers

Fred Sanders great grand-daughter still makes the original bumpy cake from the exact recipe.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On east side - Sanders, most generally. But my next door neighbor in same area said "Saunders." You figure it out. To me it will always be Sanders, but you can always tell a Detroit accent, and the short "a" sound is typical. (I had a guy in New York ask me once, "Are you from Detroit?" I asked how he knew, and he said, "your accent." Until then, I never knew I had one, but I hear it in a lot of pronunciations now).

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the flat Midwestern drawl. Not as colorful as the others. I remember pronouncing it SAWN-DERS as a kid, but, it's definitely SAN-DERS. There is an Arcadia book out about the company by Greg Tasker.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The older folks on the east side of the city all pronounced it "Saunders," but they was wrong.

Say it like Barry, Charlie, and the Colonel, and you've got it right.

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lahser/lasher

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this a serious question

Jjaba

Post Number: 5361
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gplimpton, welcome to Forum. All questions on this Forum are serious. We are about answering some of the strangest questions ever posed.
They brook no demeaning.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, jjaba, pick on me for a week while I am gone. Have you ever had Smucker's chocolate fudge sauce? Gotta admit that it is richer than Sanders, don't you?
Back in a week to face your abuse.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At my house we drank Jo-bell beer

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, Jo-bells the fine french beer.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's SAWN-ders here in Downriver.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus Christ, what has this forum become?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders, I'm going to go put some on my ice cream now! :D

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had smuckers hot fudge the other day ( not the sauce type), it was HORRID! long live saunders!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5363
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders and Smuckers, apples and oranges.

jjaba, pouring Sanders on Butter Pecan Ice cream.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morleys now owns the Sanders candy brand name.
Some of their stuff is like the old Sanders. Strohs didn't get the butter pecan ice cream to taste the same. I think they own the ice cream brand.
Guernsey butter pecan ice cream is the closest to the original.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex-stepmother used to pronounce it Saunders and it always bugged me, even when I was 8 years old. She was wierd. She also pronouced Dearborn as Dearburn which was wierd. She pronouced chocolate as chaklit. She was wierd.

People who pronouce Sanders as Sawnders are wierd, along with those who pronounce coupon as Q-pon. We don't pronounce soup as sewp.

Kville

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, you eastsiders, is it "Chalmers" or "Chawlmers"? We're back to square one.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom always said Saunders and she grew up by city airport (eastside to the bone!). I vaguely remember going to a Sanders at Mack/Moross. Is this correct, did they have a lower level or was that Eastland?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, the Chalmers is technically sounded out as Chawlmers. It doesn't matter how you spell it.

Back to the Ice Cream Shop. Tomato, Tomauto, Potato, Patauto. It's just another place to buy Ice Cream. As long as you buy Detroit, it really doesn't give.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think of Detroit, I always think of Hot Fudge.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooh oooh we had that Jefferson Sanders (I think we pronounced it Sanders like a sandbox?)...cream puff hot fudge and that big revolving door, the waitresses in pink, right? and the cone-shaped paper cup in that pewter holder. oh the memories and me here trying to diet...and it's pronounced Chawlmers as far as I know...we lived on Lakewood, just one block from Chalmers...good old Detroit. anyone remember the teen dance show "Swing Time" or "Swingin Time?" with Robin Symour? I used to dance on that thing! what I wouldn't give for some footage. thanks for making me crave Sanders hot fudge, sheesh...

Kville

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce - the Sanders with the lower level was Eastland. The Mack-7 Mile store did not have one.

The Chalmers/"Chawlmers" response makes me realize that it must be more than regional accent differences - it must have something to do with family & parents, etc. My parents always used the "uncouth" short A sound (as do all of my wife's family), so for us it was Chalmers (short a). Maybe we were from the wrong side of the tracks from our next-door neighbor (and perhaps the other 50% in our neighborhood) who said "Chawlmers." Not sure what the explanations are - I'm no linguistic expert.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In our eastside home it was "Saunders" but the best was my mother's pronunciation of "Port Urine" for Port Huron drove my Dad crazy.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terridarlin: My wife, who grew up just north of Port Huron, says that most residents (and those who grew up nearby) pronounce it as your mother did.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction from Detroit's Westside Sanders Country: Porch Urine.

jjaba.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba

"Correction from Detroit's Westside Sanders Country: Porch Urine."

LOL Lucky for my Dad he lived on the eastside.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.