Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Delighted and dazzled by Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An enlightening account of a recent visitor's changed perspective of Detroit which should help us appreciate and celebrate many of our city's unique characteristics that we often take for granted.

Hopefully this will be an increasingly typical experience for those who visit:

http://www.marinij.com/lifesty les/ci_6151950

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last two sentences:
quote:

Meanwhile I am comforted to have seen where he lives.

It's not such a dump after all.

Boy, we really knocked her socks off.

Frankly, I hope this is a letter from a reader and not a staff member. She writes with all the sophistication of a Freep message boarder.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In the many places I have lived, I have never been in an environment as racially integrated as Detroit.

Heh...uhh...I think what she meant to say was she's never seen anything like a middle-class black population before.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally a writer who didn't say we were on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's that word "droves" again!

Look, there goes a drove crossing 8 Mile now! :D

Good article and great review of a first-timer.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We explored park-like Belle Isle

Not just park-like but an actual park!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that too, Pam.

I'd guess she regarded it as an island first that happened to be a park. I think Detroiters regard it as a park that happens to be on an island.

First perceptions are interesting.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she saw that huge, ugly cement slab and hence---"park-like" being more appropriate

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that that article even helped me to see a new view of Detroit. It was very interesting that the author saw Detroit as an integrated city. It has never seemed that way to me, but I guess I am open to beginning to change my view on that.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, could we submit the last line of her article to become Detroit's new slogan?

DETROIT - It's not such a dump after all.

:-)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEAH! LOL. In all seriousness, why not?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, be grateful that people from Marin even have us on their radar. You can change stereotypes one positive face-to-face meeting at a time. Someone hearing her tales back home comes away with perhaps a new curiosity about Detroit, gets out here and finds and spreads a similar message. You may not have liked the words she chose, but she saw firsthand - and shared. Isn't that what we all try to do here in the forum?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the thing Downtown_dave. Down here in Charlotte, I tell my coworkers how much I miss Detroit and they think I am crazy. Once they find out how serious I am, I tell them why (depends on what the coworker is interested in), but it helps that I work at an architecture office and can show some of the great books on the architecture of Detroit. ONE PERSON AT A TIME. That's my slogan for changing Detroit's image. The best part is that everyone that I have talked to about Detroit is more impressed after hearing and seeing the great things the city has and that is what keeps me going in boring ol' Charlotte, NC.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My displaced Detroit friend now in Charlotte says the same thing...lol You guys must sit down to a beer...well 2 beers. :-)

Company-paid trip to Detroit for some lessons in architecture?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, well, why not? paulfretz@ls3p.com (work email)

I flew up to DTW for St. Patrick's Day weekend, but that was the last time. Where else can you see 100 friends from your university all at one place having a good time? Ahhhhh the Gaelic League. I miss everything about Detroit in one way or another.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.