Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Is it time for Michigan to become a right to work state? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday the Wall State Journal did an editorial about Michigan's race to the bottom in generation of jobs. It stated that right to work states created 1.43 million manufacturing jobs from 1970 to 2000 at the same time 2.18 million were lost in non right to work states. There have been a few bills introduced but it is clear that our governor would veto them. However there is a good chance it could get introduced on the 2008 ballot.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There wouldn't be unions anywhere if businesses paid honest, living wages and treated you like a human being.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new generation has grown up and just have no idea what went on at the first part of the last Century. If people would actually read a book on history, they would know why unions were enacted. An example, Henry Ford was a real SOB. He would lay people off when there was a down turn in the industry, and would re-hire folks, but if they looked "too old" with gray hair he wouldn't re-hire them. I read in a book on the Ford family, that Cunningham's drug store would have a run on hair dye the day before recalls. Ford would also try to impose his will on his workers when they were on their own time.

I realize it's not that bad now, but I sure hope Michigan does not become a right to work state. Worker's rights would be taken away. I used to live and taught school in Arkansas, and it's a right to work state. You might ask, just where is WalMart's national headquarters? Benton, Arkansas. It's no wonder why WalMart workers are treated as Chattel...

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would disagree.

Making Michigan a Right to Work state would place an incentive on unions to concentrate on what they were started for in the first place: Watching out for the rights and well-being of the workers they represent.

When you mandate that an employee must apply for and pay dues to a union as a condition of employment, once that union has that money, where is their incentive to carry out the above?

By allowing employees to choose who they want, or not want, to represent them, you're placing the onus on the unions to perform to survive.

Bte_in_va
Username: Bte_in_va

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ ah yes, competition....unions view it like Holy Water to a Vampire...

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good lord Hornist! The sit down strikes in Flint were in the 1930s. Henry Ford died in 1948. You are living in a world that no longer exists. In the same article it is predicted that in 3 years the medium income in Alabama will surpass Michigan. The world has changed and the union folks better get a snort of reality.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should should force MDOT to pay the full 10 percent of the gas tax to SMART and then go after the new management leaders to do their jobs or vote NO next August 2010.

Then all the buses will be full and bringing people to their jobs.

But as long as big government in Michigan just raises taxes and steals state money from SMART and everywhere else that needs to keep funding to give themselves big paychecks, right to work laws will only further exploit the working poor, the minorities and the handicapped and the elderly.

I like this website a lot and I'm sure that if all put our minds together that we can Bring Back Michigan and SMART to Livonia. We need brains in Michigan and not more tax increases that only prove to exploit to poor.

When the buses were jammed at the superbowl a few years ago, it was because our state did not enough money to buy more and pay for them. So, let's tax the rich sports and concert owners to buy more buses and if they don't want to pay then fine. Let them move the stadiums and concerts somewhere else. Michigan needs good paying jobs at this time and not baseball and football games and more Wal-Marts.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've lost me here, Trainman.

What does this have to do with right to work legislation?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he even knows anymore.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 949
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it time for Michigan to become a right to work state?

Yes

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.