Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Future of Daimler in SW Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the divorce of Daimler and Chrysler, it seems pretty evident that this will have an impact on SW Michigan in some form (jobs wise). My question is, what may be the future of Daimler in North America? I am not talking about general presence, but I am talking about HQ wise. Will they set up a North American HQ somewhere? And if so, could Detroit be in the running for it as goodwill gesture; figuring the fallout means a loss of jobs in Auburn Hills? And if so, could downtown benefit from this?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986, better get a bearing on your compass points! :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to say, there used to be a GM plant in Kalamazoo, but it's been closed for 20 years.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about that, I am originally from SW Michigan (St. Joe/Stevensville), my mind is all over the place today as I have exams tomorrow (grad school) and I am insanely nervous.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do bring up a very good point Tkelly1986... with a split from Chrysler, where will Daimler have their home base in the USA?

Although, come to think of it, won't they still own 20% of Chrysler? So would that make them privy to future Chrysler inventions/innovations?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 715
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's going to be at the Detroit Diesel location on Telegraph in Redford. I work for the Daimler portion of DCX, their Commercial Vehicle Division which is currently the only presence of Daimler in the US, now that they sold their pass car division Chrysler, except for a Mercedes plant in the south (Florida, I believe). Daimler has been consolidating their CVD (Detroit Diesel, Freightliner, Western Star and others) for the last few years to be headquartered at the DDC location in Redford. Unfortunately, these companies are heavily unionized, so who knows how long Daimler will keep up with that BS before they move on to some different place altogether.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, and they just got the local barber shops trained on how to give those F-ed up German haircuts.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Detroit Diesel was headquarted in Detroit, no? I thought it was on the Detroit side of the border?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they will take a hit in the US. Not enough to offset the gains by unloading Chrysler though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.