Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Demolish Joe Louis? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should it happen?

Sitlet
Username: Sitlet

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obviously, they should try to save it to make more space for cobo. but from what ive been hearing, there will be a lot of work to do to make it usable for what cobo wants. if they demo it, they can build a new building just how they want it. i think they should build about a 20 story building with the ground floors as exhibit space, and the upper floors could be offices, condos, apts, hotel, etc. that would be a great location with it being on the water.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just wait until Illitch-town comes together.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the second or third round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, I would suggest.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't start soon enough!

should have not been put there in the first place, should not have bought off on such a shitty design, just to get the 1980 Republican convention.

Tear that schitt down

bring on Olympia II

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build Joe Louis II (just like the existing arena, but bigger) between the Fox Theatre and Comerica Park! Re-route Woodward Avenue underneath it!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No can do... those Thanksgiving Day Parade floats and balloons will get stuck in the underpass!! :-(

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tear down that thing. When I go to work and am on the Lodge passing under those tubes connect to JLA, I think, who ever thought this was a good idea.

My only fond memory is the Queen concert when Freddie Mercury came out on Darth Vader's shoulders.

And Another One Bites The Dust...

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Tear it down! But dont stop there, tear the whole city down.Burrrrrrrrrrrrrp!Hic...
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_56 77.jpg?t=1182135823

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 778
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheeeit, that is my old crib Bullet...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that, Bullet? A car or a Couzy Coupe? Can't tell cuz it's all Shrinky Dink and stuff.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it can't be converted into an aquarium, then i'd say yes. In fact the whole are behind Cobo.

Even if it were converted, that area needs some major re-planning.

Verifiable
Username: Verifiable

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch would have the best deal in the NHL if he stayed at the Joe... at least that's what this says: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070618/S PORTS0103/706180377

As it turns out, Coleman Young put provisions in the original contract that give Ilitch everything AND the kitchen sink if he simply re-ups and elects to renew the contract for 20 more years. And the city can't stop him. It's all his decision.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, thats the Bulletmobile, past tense. Thats what I get for taking Quozls' parking spot.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While i like classico's suggestion of an aquarium, i still think it needs to go. I'm not sure an expansion of cobo is the best use for that space, but since a complete replacement for cobo is unlikely, and i don't think the existing building is particularly useful for a convention space (even highly modified), i have to agree with demolition.

bullet - what the hell kind of car is that, a saturn? it looks like most of it has melted away!

part of me (the evil side) is picturing my yellow cavalier melted like that, thinking 'yay! no more payments!'

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a pontiac sunfire

Astagafa
Username: Astagafa

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Firebird?

Tear that thing down. Expand Cobo and build something on the riverfront with windows.

BTW, I think Coleman cut the deal with Norris, not Ilitch.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Louis Arena should be demolished but I think, as Classico Stated before, the area defiantly needs modification. I don't like the idea of expanding COBO solely. I think a better solution would be to expand COBO with some sort of multi-use residential/commercial or even some…ekkk, extremely clean industrial in mind. The reason is so that people wouldn’t just go to the auto show and then leave. They may even find it interesting to “stick around a bit longer” and that might inspire more conventions.

My vision of the COBO expansion would NOT be a big block style addition to the west end of the building. Rather I feel a conglomeration of precisely planned smaller buildings could all be connected and even inserted into irregular spaces. I think to truly have a good convention center today is to have some sort of “feel good” environment, “different,” and “cutting edge.” I am picturing an area that is indoors but somehow makes you feel like you are outdoors (with option to not feel like this of course) and a view of the city just a couple of floors past the roof of the existing COBO would be present. I think it could be a pretty nice little enclave—who knows—perhaps even the buildings N of Congress could be attached back into the picture, course a lot of $$ would be needed and that’s where all of this daydreaming ends.

This is all frivolous thought, and until we can come together as a region and figure out who is going to pay for such a feat or find another way I doubt much will take place. Not to be pessimistic, but, either the plan has to be so good that It will pay for itself or WE have to pay for another mediocre blocky convention center. The only other way is to just do without, which seems to be the path we take so often. It would be a nice to think the residential/commercial aspects of such a development could help smooth out the overall costs or that there was more than one way to pay for additional convention space but… who knows?

RFB

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if Cobo is considered a very historical landmark that people just love.

But I would demolish the entire complexe, including the arena and the Cobo Hall, and build a whole new convention centre.

The current design cuts people off from the waterfront, and also cuts the western part of downtown off from the central part on Jefferson Ave. It is just not a very nice design.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Architecturally, Joe Louis Arena is just as beautiful as the Ren Cen. For that reason, let's keep it.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or tear down ren cen too

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new Cobo should be built at the foot of the Ambassador Bridge. This would open up the waterfront and create an opportunity to have a continuous flourishing district from bridge to bridge. That is a stark contrast to the outdated and massive roadblock to progress that has essentially left the waterfront from the Ambassador Bridge to Hart Plaza disasterously underwhelming. If Cobo fell, you would create an opportunity for a Detroit Lakeshore Drive, with valuable land for highrises on the north side of Jefferson, mixed use on the south side of Jefferson, and parks and marinas and usable roads that go somewhere instead of nowhere.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.