Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Photo XLVII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building in the center appears to have roof damage. The building on the right has an unusual tower.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appears to be the side of a fire station on a one-way street. The tower is for drying hoses. Possibly, John R or Brush? Or maybe Second or Third Highland Park?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Ha, If that's fire station, what were they doing when the house burned down across the street. It isn't any of the former Highland Park fire stations.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's E. Warren and I think Crane.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven, I believe you are close. I think it is the next street up at Rohns Street and East Warren Avenue.

Ookpik

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep! That looks like it! So, that is/was a firehouse? If so, I'll put a link the Firehouses thread.

Ookpik

Caldogven

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was. The big doors were on the side street.
I went to Barbour School with two sisters that lived above the grocery store in the picture.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that flag at half mast?

It would be cool if we could find out why.

Are half mast days archived anywhere?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 787
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here...http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1wzmh82grck&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5639925&encType=1

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman_dude, I have a shot of the Rohns Firehouse somewhere, and I'll post it when I find it. Stand by...

Jeffrey_thomas
Username: Jeffrey_thomas

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rohns Firehouse, yes I agree.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Bulletmagnet, it was really Caldogven who got the location...it was just one more street over. I believe he was just going by memory and he was very close. I just happened to examine satellite photos based on his location and saw that Rohns Street was probably what he meant.

(Message edited by Catman_Dude on June 18, 2007)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to look through 16,000 photos, but I found a shot, and one of the church across the street:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup042907016.jpg?t=1182203965
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup042907018.jpg?t=1182204008
I can’t believe I wasn't quicker on the draw, I drive by that firehouse at least a couple times a week.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, what is this little thing on the corner?

Firehouse Corner

16,000?! You are one prolific photographer!

Ookpik

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pix Bullet! :-)

That firehouse looks active. Is it?

Ookpik

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, any idea why the tower portion of the building taken down? Even if the FD doesn't use them for hose drying anymore, why spend the money to dismantle the tower?

It looked better taller.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tower is still there! Go to Quozl's link above and you'll see that it is still there.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, still looks like about 25-feet was lopped off the top from the original.

Caldogven

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman your right. It was just memories.I haven't been past there in 45 years.
I do remember the girls were nice Italian girls.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shorter hoses nowadays? No. Seriously, that's a good question. Why bother shortening a tower?

That little crop of Bullet's photo I posted looks like a birdhouse to me. That's not a good place for a birdhouse though. Looks like there's an interesting little statue back against the wall too.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, ok, Rrl, you're right. I see. The vents that were near the top of the tower in the old photo is not there anymore, giving clue that the tower was shorten.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like someone rebuilt the roof on the house across the street!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, looks like some firefighters dabble in folk art in the down time. As far as I know Ookpik, this fire house is still working. I have made a casual acquaintance with one of the firefighters there, and he tells me the city has shuffled the fire districts around. Interesting to note Detroithabitater, the house in Ookpiks’ photo is still there. For the last four years they have put a giant banner across the front of the top floor balcony that reads: "Happy 100th Birthday Grandma", "Happy 101 Birthday.." and so on till her 103rd. I am waiting (and hoping) to see the banner for her 104th. I'll have camera ready. Thanks for the nod Ook.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 41 is an active company only on paper. It has an assigned crew, but they are detailed every day to wherever manpower is needed. Firefighters don't report to that building any more. The crew for Engine 41 keeps its paperwork at Engine 32's quarters on Jefferson near St. Jean. EMS still runs an ambulance out of the Rohns building (at least, last I knew).

Engine 41's rig is currently being used by Engine 46 on Knodell near Gratiot. The E46 folks used tape to add "+5" to the side of the rig where it says Engine 41. I got a chuckle when I saw that recently.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 679
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification, Ffdfd. You guys seem to get shuffled more times then a deck of cards. Be safe out there, pal. We are reminded once again of the risk you take each day with the loss 9 brave firefighters in S.C. yesterday. Thank you again, for your service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.