Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ren Cen -- Weird goings on? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Tower 400, and hear wisps of conversation going on about fire trucks, can't use the elevators, and stuck in the lobby. Anyone here know what's going on?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm.... anyone?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope...

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me neither.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope....nuttin' here....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9489
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in Eau Claire, WI, right now...can't be of any help.

Can you hear us, Amy_p?!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy-I work security for the rencen. What day/time was this? I MIGHT (Key word)- might be able to find out, but I work the night shift so most of the cohorts I regularly see might not know.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking along the riverfront when the trucks pulled up. It was around noon. And there was a fire alarm going off.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could have been a routine firedrill. During firedrills you can not use the elevators and some folks do get stuck in the lobby because they won't use the stairs.

They also will occasionally have the Detroit ATF run drills in full battle gear, with dogs, etc. at RenCen - it could have been something like that as well.

~Liza

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a report of a fire on the 5th floor in a storage room, nothing was found, was a false alarm.....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"During firedrills you can not use the elevators and some folks do get stuck in the lobby because they won't use the stairs."

LOLOLOL.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly would make myself "stuck" in the lobby if I knew it was only a firedrill. I ain't gonna climb 30 or 40 or 70 flights of stairs to get to my appointment!!! : )

Edit: to head off smartasses, if I knew it WASN'T a firedrill, I would not go up the stairs anyway.

(Message edited by Catman_Dude on June 19, 2007)

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are only supposed to be going DOWN during a firedrill - once it's over you can use the elevators to go back up. :-)

~Liza

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife use to work in tower 400 and they did have a lot of fire drills. I thought she might have been saying she was in one of the floor lobby's. At least the non GM companies all had lobby areas around the elevators before you could go into the office areas.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I thought Liza meant THE Lobby as in lobby of the building on the first floor. I didn't realize that she meant the lobby (lobbies?) of each of the higher floors. I didn't know the public space in front of each floor's elevators were called "lobby" also. Then the statement of people being stuck in the lobby because they didn't want to use the stairs makes sense now. I guess the catnip was strong yesterday.

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in tower 100. Fire Drills for various floors both yesterday and today. The typical fire drill involves 5 floors - moving everyone off of those 5 floors - then security sweeps the involved floors - then the all clear is given. Always good to be prepared.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4625
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this discussion reminds me in a sad way of the over 580 people (among many thousands) who left for the lobby of the south tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11 once the north tower was hit...

... only to return back to their offices a short while later, and seal their doom once another plane crashed into the south tower below their offices.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On 9-11 my wife grabbed her stuff and left the Ren Cen, she didn't wait for the official word that her office was closing. At that time she was on the 30th floor in tower 400.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today there were zillions of people walking around, and bands playing....wierd.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV has Devin live down there anchoring a bunch of reports right now.

(Message edited by yupislyr on June 22, 2007)

Sbyman
Username: Sbyman

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have these fire drills been going on lately? anything else weird going on?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now theyre testing a lot of the systems and making sure everyone remembers the procedures.
The bands and music were probably from the Wintergarden. They have a stage set up there for Riverdays.I watched them get the stage all ready and set up last night. VERY loud.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.