Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Congrats DPS students « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9418
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could nobody have posted this?

Kudos to the children in DPS achieving and over achieving. They get enough bad press so an article like this is a nice change of pace.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070618/NEWS05/ 706180331/1007/NEWS&GID=+/USZY eadanZJ95usu0vuannhuxxaid1B5qq egwJoBk%3D

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible work! More stories like this should be publicized...I know that DPS has success stories. I know them, I see them succeed in the workplace and I am friends with them :-)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, how about this one from yesterday's Freep:
"DETROIT: Students headed to Science Bowl

"Six students from Cleveland Middle School in Detroit are to compete against 29 teams in the U.S. Department of Energy's National Science Bowl for middle school students this week in Denver. The question-and-answer tournament tests students' knowledge in science.

"The Cleveland students are the only ones from Michigan in the contest. They won a regional competition to earn an all-expenses-paid trip to the competition, scheduled Thursday through Sunday."

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1:

Thanks for the link! Now wait for the usual suspects to post that scores have been cooked, these are exceptions to the rule, etc.

It's a great story I hope everyone reads. Just as downtown development successes get people excited and start to spend time and money there, maybe stories like this one will get parents and students excited about DPS possibilities and get more involved, volunteering, etc.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleveland Middle School will be a high school in the fall.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another success story: A female student of mine was accepted to West Point Military Academy and received over 325,000.00 in scholarships for her college career.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, congratulations. I think I can just barely imagine how proud that makes you feel.

Good job to both of you! Thank you. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^What Jim said.^^^^^^

Jt1

Post Number: 9419
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A total of 7 responses? Pitiful.

Maybe I should have asked which coney do you think DPS kids prefer. That would have gotten some attention.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to these honor students! I wish them all the best!

There are always good things happening with DPS, and another of them is An Evening of Fine Arts. Middle and high school students perform ballet, jazz, and modern dance, choirs sing classical, jazz, and contemporary, and bands play jazz and classical also.

They have this every year and it is most up lifting to see. I think you have to know a teacher or someone in DPS to get tickets but it is well worth it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6073
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Congraduations DPS Students with the factual data shows that 50% of them didn't graduate!

Jt1

Post Number: 9421
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if a percentage don't graduate we should ignore the accomplishments of those that did or those that are currently excelling?

Danny

Post Number: 6075
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If 50% of DPS students stop clowning around and playing with themselves. Then they would get their diplomas.

As for right now 50% of them have 99 problems and I'm not the one.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a big congratulations to the DPS students who are graduating this year!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So if a percentage don't graduate we should ignore the accomplishments of those that did or those that are currently excelling?"

I'm glad to hear success stories coming out of DPS, but all school district have success stories...every district has individuals and teams of individuals that excel in various ways...the performance of a school district, however, is not measured by how those few individuals fare, but how the students as a whole fare...that's why graduation rates and overall college acceptance rates are the criteria used measure the performance and quality of different districts to each other

when someone looks at a school district's quality when deciding whether to move to a certain area, awards in chess and science competitions probably aren't enough to make up for a 50% chance of graduation

(Message edited by thejesus on June 19, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9423
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't disagree with that but how many districts and children are disparaged like the children in DPS.

If we (metro Detroit) are so willing to condemn them every chance we get then we sure as hell should congratulate those that are achieving major succecsses.

This was not a thread to proclaim that DPS is great. It was a thread to acknowledge the children in DPS that are doing amazing work. That concept seems way too difficult for people.

Again, congratulations to the students highlighted in this article that have achieved on a national and international stage.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::resists urge to respond to stupid comment above:::

Congrats to the kids. This actually isn't very surprising. I remember in HS when our chess team won the state championship one year(something that happened quite often but was never highly publicized), a local news station (I'll leave unnamed) promised to cover the story but never showed.

The local media in Detroit is very eager to tell you how good International Academy is and how bad DPS is, but don't do very much to highlight the many successes of the inner-city schools. Even when it is highlighted, it is often done in such a condescending tone that you just wish they had never come at all.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I guess DPS students can all go make a living playing chess then...how much money is there in that field again?

while it's nice for morale to win little competitions, schools exists to teach kids valuable skills to help them succeed in life and become productive members of society...winning the state chess competition is nice, but when half your kids can't even earn a simple HS diploma, perhaps the focus needs to be somewhere else

Ihearthed, I don't see why the news should make a big deal about a school winning a chess match... if students started graduating and getting into college at respectable rates, THAT would be news...winning a chess match, however, not so much

(Message edited by thejesus on June 19, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9424
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, this post is to congratulate the kids that have made significant accomplishments.

If you want to start a general thread about DPS help yourslef but pissing on a thread that acknowledges kids from DPS achieving on a national and international stage is pretty low.

Again, Congrats to the kids that won national or international awards for:

Chess
Robotics
Math
Symbolic Logic
Social Studies
Linguistics

The fact that it is so hard for people to acknowledge these kids accomplishment without adding additional comment speaks volumes to the mantality in this region.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I was responding to Ihearthed's post about the news being biased against DPS b/c the didn't report on a chess competition victory...pls read whole thread before posting...ty

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"awards in chess and science competitions probably aren't enough to make up for a 50% chance of graduation"

hehe. this demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what goes into the making of a successful student in any school district. graduation rates aren't a lottery. if i send my kid to dps, their "chance" of graduating isn't 50%. if they go to northville, their "chance" of graduating isn't 95%. a student's success in school is influenced primarily by their parents and the positive emphasis that is put on education within the home. in fact, some studies show that a child's chance of success in life is determined by their experiences in the first three years after birth. this issue is much more complicated and nuanced than how it is typically portrayed. but most people are cognitively lazy and don't want to think too hard.

Jt1

Post Number: 9428
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't change the message you are making. Please start a new thread if you would like to continue pissing on these kids accomplishments.

Reagrdless I will not respond to you any longer on this thread since it is already going to garbage. It's just a shame that people have such difficulty giving DPS kids any credit wihtout tempering the comments.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^quit trying to turn this into some higher moral ground bullshit...I gave the KIDS credit credit...but then YOU, yes YOU asked the question as to whether piss poor graduation rates of a school district mean that we should ignore small individual accomplishments, and I responded that individual accomplishments are great, but the school district cannot be given credit for them as school districts are measured by graduation and college acceptance rates, and not by individual accomplishments that likely would have occurred if said individual belonged to another district...

Danny

Post Number: 6077
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete,

Great source. Getting your children to graduate from high school starts with 6 greatest teachers

Mom, pop, teacher, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost.

It all goes with the enviroment, home and peers that could change the human spirit of the children so that they could change the world one society at a time.

Danny

Post Number: 6078
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A female student recieve over 325,000 in scholarships. YAY!!!! Who ever say DPS is no good! Take that suburban and EVIL charter schools.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Told you.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud of ALL of my students who walk across the stage at graduation. Many face challenges that suburban kids don't face. The mother of one of my students was murdered on Valentine's Day, she moved to a suburb to live with her dad, came to school everyday and graduated with honors. Another kid watched both of his parents being brutally attacked and murdered at a young age and he graduated with honors and was accepted at a prestigious Ivy League school, complete with scholarships.

We have honors programs, post names of scholarship winners and amounts received, give acknowledgement to those who excel despite challenges, and those who have improved. We also recognize kids for their non-sports achievements in and out of school. We also have a National Honor Society program. I'd say we recognize more non-sports achievements than most schools.

Watching kids walk across that stage at graduation is the greatest amount of satisfaction I get from my job. I am the last person they see before they climb the stairs to get to the stage. EVERY single kid hugs me and thanks me for pushing them and not giving up. Many apologize for being a pain in the buttocks and most come back to see me after they've had a semester of college/work/military under their belts.

I am proud of ALL of the kids who graduate.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$325,000! That is awesome. What does she want to do, if you don't mind me asking. With that kind of money, she has a lot of options.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is going to West Point and plans on studying engineering. She is a smart young lady who works hard. She asked me to write a letter to Carl Levin so that he could recommend her to WP. He is very selective when making these recommendations. Another student from DPS is going to the "other" Military Academy. They are the only 2 and it has been some time since any DPS student has been accepted to either Academy.

She is very humble and doesn't like to be publicly recognized for her achievement. She was (until she graduated) also the leader of the DPS (the entire district) ROTC program (I forget exactly what her title was). She's a good kid who worked hard for what she wanted. We have MANY kids like that in DPS.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another student from DPS is going to the "other" Military Academy. They are the only 2 and it has been some time since any DPS student has been accepted to either Academy.

Here teach, let me bring you up to speed on the FIVE United States Service Academies:

* United States Military Academy, also known as "West Point" and "Army", founded 1802
* United States Naval Academy, also known as "Annapolis" and "Navy", founded 1845
* United States Coast Guard Academy, also known as "Coast Guard", founded 1876
* United States Merchant Marine Academy, also known as "Kings Point" and "Merchant Marine", founded 1942
* United States Air Force Academy, also known as "Air Force" (and infrequently as "Colorado Springs" or "that school in Colorado"), founded 1954

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody cares about reporting good news. If it was bad news about DPS, it would have headlined 2, 4 & 7 newscasts.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Q. I meant there are only 2 DPS kids going to ANY Military Academy this year. The other kid will be attending Annapolis. Not too many kids I come into contact with even think about these types of schools.

My post was a bit misleading and I do apologize.

Quozl

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Detroitteacher, I hope any kid at Cooley HS or ANY DPS High School for that matter that cannot get into West Point consider one of the other four US Service Academies.

I hope everything went good for you this past year at Cooley. I will be by there next week to show my family one of the many high schools I attended while growing up in Detroit.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you'd like to have a formal tour, I can give you the name of the person who does that in the summer. Just email me at TMCooleyweb at aol dot com. He does the tours for free and is great at accommodating alumni.

Quozl

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent you an email, I really appreciate it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.