Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Metro (DTW) North Terminal Naming Rights? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeffery47
Username: Jeffery47

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News mentioned that the naming right are at least available for the North Terminal. I think the terminal should be named in honor of someone, but the almighty dollar will win out.

Any suggestions?

I like the HeadOn Terminal.
Or maybe the Maxim Terminal would be snicker-inducing.
The Alka-Seltzer Terminal is appropriate
Or the Dramamine Terminal.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Faygo Rock N' Flye terminal.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont get the joke behind

HeadOn Terminal
Maxim Terminal
Alka-Seltzer Terminal

shoot, the Dramamine Terminal doesnt make any sense to me either. i dont get sick when i travel...

david

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal. HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal. HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal. HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal. HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal. HeadOn! Apply directly to the terminal.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HeadOn! I hate your commercial but I LOVE your terminal.
available off 94 without a prescription.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffery47, by the term 'naming rights' are you referring to corporate naming rights? The Northwest terminal didn't get a corporate name. In fact, are there any terminals at any airport with a corporate name?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not call it the Berry-Smith Terminal? Since L.C. Smith and Berry (whoever they were) were deserving of the names for the existing buildings, the names should be transferred to the new one.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were the ones instrumental in moving the airport to that location (from city airport) when that location was still pretty controversial as Willow Run already had some of the necessary facilities and the site in Warren, MI was more centrally located.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnx for the info, Charlottepaul.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea. Who is a great Michigander or Detroiter we could name it after?

What about the Henry Ford terminal or the Alfred Sloan terminal?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5661
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked 'North Terminal' to be honest, but I like Burnsie's idea of Berry-Smith (or Smith-Berry) Terminal. It's really only fitting considering their roles in the founding and expansion of the airport.

I can see it, now, though: Yahoo! Presents Rosa Parks Terminal

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the "Google" terminal since there's a major "Metro-Detroit" office here...well at least the airport services Ann Arbor as well.

I like the simpler "North Terminal" better too.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Berry the international terminal, I was not aware that they are replacing that one?

Quinn

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berry is only used for Charter flights now, some international. I'm not sure about Berry's fate...I should be nuked.

All scheduled international airline flights are out of McNamara.

Quinn

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metroairport.com/pr oject/default.asp

From the website:

"The North Terminal Redevelopment (NTR) Project is a planned 26-gate terminal complex being designed to replace the airport’s older Berry & Smith terminal complex. "

So bye-bye Berry.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5681
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to the Smith Terminal, the Berry was a masterpiece. lol

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't you all thinking of the Davey Terminal?

"The Davey Terminal was built in 1966 and was first known as "Terminal 2," "North Terminal," or "The Old Northwest Terminal." It was renamed the "J. M. Davey Terminal" in 1975 in honor of former airport manager James M. Davey. It contained five concourses labeled C, D, E, F, and G. Of those, Concourse C was considered the worst by most travellers due to its long distance from the center of the terminal, and its long length. Most of Concourse C is still in use today by Spirit Airlines.

The Davey Terminal was the principal base of operations for Northwest Airlines before the McNamara Terminal opened. It remained vacant for three years before demolition of the terminal began on October 17, 2005. All concourses of the Davey Terminal, except Concourse C, were demolished. The further end of Concourse C was also demolished, but the lower part of the concourse is still in use today as part of the Smith Terminal.

The site of the demolished section of the Davey Terminal is being used as the site of the new North Terminal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D tw

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, it's all going. The Davey and the old Marriott have been demolished already. When the new terminal is finished, the airlines will move in and then the Smith and Berry terminals will be demolished.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5692
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I'm thinking of the Smith Terminal, for sure, though they are built so close together that many don't distinguish the two from one another.

BTW, though the North Terminal will be replacing the Berry Terminal (furthest north terminal), will anything be built at the site of the Berry Terminal? The maps I've seen show the new North Terminal not even going to stretch all the way to where the Berry Terminal now stands.

To tell you the truth, the Berry was my favorite. I was lucky to have flown out of it a few times, and it reminds me a lot of a much smaller Midfield terminal with is sweeping glass atrium. I'll miss it. Some online research shows it was designed by Detroit-architect Louis G. Redstone, but I can't find the year of completion for it.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 23, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Monica, do your (usual) thing. How 'bout a Council Resolution naming it the John Conyers Terminal?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the new north terminal is by the 'big blue deck,' no?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is.

LMichigan, the Berry Terminal opened in 1974 or 1975, although I can't picture the sweeping glass atrium you mention. The old Davey terminal had a high ceiling with large glass windows; maybe that's what you remember.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The glass block windows?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5693
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,

I pretty sure I'm talking about Berry Terminal (furthest north terminal), but what is probably happening is that I'm mixing up memories with the new Midfield Terminal. It's been some years since I've flown out of the Berry.

Either that, or perhaps the glass face and atrium I'm thinking of is at the part of the terminal facing away from the street? That could be it.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 23, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4656
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, the Berry (International) Terminal had some gorgeous metal panel partitions as artwork. Anyone else remembers seeing those? They are quite attractive (and removable).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.