Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Can One Kennedy Hold more floors? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a while ago that the footings at one kennedy were laid to hold more then 10 floors. Can anyone confirm this? Not that it needs to, but say in the future, could more floors be added?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2682
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have existing structural drawings available, I can confirm it for you.

Now, let's all get SPECULATING on something we know nothing about!!!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5654
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd never heard that one, before. Perhaps you're thinking about the Hudson Block, or the Hudson Block speculation led to this rumor?

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 18, 2007)

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I am only the messenger and the person who relayed this information on to me may have been confused; that is why I asked, because I was questioning it.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, 2 whole floors are in use, so I definitely think we should add about 100 more to it...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Footings may be able to hold more as the parking deck below grade was there a while before the building on top was, but it might require removing the new tenish floors of the building and starting over, from the footings up. Something not very likely to happen for at least 50 years.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if the footings could take on more weight, that wouldn't necessarily mean that all or any parts of the columns and girders could handle it. The strength of the bottom-most elements (footings) isn't the only thing to consider.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, if One Kennedy Square was say, 45 stories. It would look a whole lot better. Someone did a very good photoshop of what the skyline would look like if the tower was anoth 35 stories tall at urbanplanet.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so. It would throw off the scale of C-M.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think this is the original plan for the building.

Best Kennedy

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.