Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WSU Business School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all-

I just finished my undergrad at Wayne and I am considering grad school there also. Has anyone here done their MBA at Wayne? I'm just looking for some feedback in regards to the quality of their program & if I should consider applying elsewhere.

Thanks!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not familiar with Wayne's MBA program, but I would suggest you look at UofM - Dearborn's MBA program...they generally have a better reputation as far as quality goes and the name travels farther...I believe they are more expensive than Wayne but not by much

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MBA program at Wayne is pretty good. A lot of business professionals go to Wayne to get their MBA, so if you are planning on staying in Michigan, it is a great way to network/get your foot in the door. A list of people who are in my class is a virtual who's who of the elite companies here.

p.s. Wayne is a LOT cheaper than UofM-Dearborn. I compared prices myself before choosing Wayne.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate or avg gmat score at wayne is? I'm taking the gmat very soon & I'd like to have a score to shoot for...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out the weekend MBA program at MSU.... very good

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall the exact equation they use but it has to due with grade point average and score on the GRE. They have a pretty lenient admission policy.

I took a crazy amount of credits for one semester, and realized it was not for me. Sure I was swamped with work, but overall I thought the program was too automotive focused. Almost every example given in class ended up being about auto assembly lines or the industry.

I would highly recommend exploring other options, just to see what else is out there. I have heard lots of great things about MSU’s program. Even if you have your heart set on WSU talk to a few councilors at UofM-D, and MSU just to see what they offer.

Good luck. If there is anything I can help you with feel free to holler.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just in advising today. Met a young man (21) who already had a job offer at a large local company and will start while still in his senior year. Yes, UM and MSU have the prestige factor, but if you want to stay local and price is a factor, don't believe the hype that you have to pay for an "elite" school to get a job.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 544
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wayne State M.B.A. program has many evening instructors, who during the day practice what they teach.

When I was in the program in the 1960's there were instructors such as Forest Strand in Marketing, who was with the State of Michigan in an economic development role. He was recently one of five honored by Operation ABLE Exemplar Award for his long work.

Management was Frank Iacobell. who was the president of Hutzell Hospital and an excellent instructor.

It was instructors like these who made me stay with WSU - I also was married with kids and a good job in Detroit - and turn down the opportunity to attend the Harvard Business School M.B.A. program after being accepted there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.