Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WSU and Sports « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is something which accountant types can appreciate but it struck me as fascinating.

I found WSU's development report for May and YTD.

Up 12% which is nice, but read the line items.

INCREDIBLE for a d-II school but athletics raised 250K YTD vs. 150K YTD last year.

May was an incredible 87K vs. 5K last year. 167 unique donors vs. 66 the year before for the month of May (WSU breaks down unique donors and total numbers of gifts - obviously some donors donate more then once within a time period).

This is something to watch especially if they have a big season in football to excite the alums.

Curious what they plan to do with the money.

I'm off to watch the Tigs' game @ RFK.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having Ford Field right in their backyard makes it easier to make the transition to D-1 if that's what they are planning?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think WSU is still a number of years away from trying to move up to D-I. (I know we had a thread months ago and the conclusion was that a new arena was a prerequisite but the capital campaign supposedly has an arena as a goal).

That said, I don't know why the SURGE in both number of donors and amount of contributions.

Normally, bucks don't fall out of the sky for no good reason.

There must be an explanation but I don't know what it might be.

(Message edited by emu_steve on June 19, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.