Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Packard plant fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJ-950 reported in the 4 PM hour today about a rubbish fire at the Packard plant, which bent some window frames. The report mentioned a lawsuit but irritatingly didn't even say what it was about. Perhaps a current or past owner of the factory is suing the city over who has rights to the place? I know the city tore down some of it a few years back and was ordered to stop.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go look at all of the past threads, it's all there.

could be the city, just hastening the demolition.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at that fire(DFD). Just a large amount of trash against the building and a boarded up wall opening. It brought out a few "residents" of the Packard plant. They were on a coffee break from their scrapping job at their live-work loft...

I did see what appeared to be tractor type seats (vinyl covered foam) which had the word "Chrysler" on them in the burning pile.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the elimination of the security guards there a couple months ago, fires have become a pretty regular occurrence what with people burning insulation off wires and using cutting torches. What kills me is that none of the scrappers is ever fazed by the presence of the fire department. They just go on about their business. It's only a matter of time before the big one comes in at that place.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

February 1959 two extra alarm fires
in the Packard Plant.A fourth alarm.
A separate fifth alarm a few hours later.
If these rubbish fires continue the
"Big One " is bound to happen.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if one of the scrappers is lucky with his cutting torch, he'll manage to bring down a ceiling onto himself.

Instead of the city getting rid of the guards, (wasn't it the city that paid them?) it should have cut one of the bureaucrats downtown. By getting rid of the guards, the city is essentially saying, "Please, come right in, vandalize and gut to your heart's content!"

Knowing the lawsuit culture these days, I wouldn't be surprised if a scrapper got hurt and sued the city for not providing security!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.