Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Coney Dogs at Comerica Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have yet to see one there, wtf? Olympia should get Lafayette to support a couple booths at the copa!!!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was working there, I remember them selling coneys...

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've had a coney at CoPa. Not very good. I have to agree that Lafayette should have a couple of booths at the ballpark. I would just hope that they wouldn't put the regular hot dog vendors out of business.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leo's has a location at Comerica Park, and they are open during home games.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not Chicken Finger Pitas (aka: Hanis)? They are so much better.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I love coneys! What do you guys like better - American or Lafayette? I think I like American better because it's cleaner.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I like Lafayette better because American is cleaner

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5374
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtownguy, HOF post. Made us all laugh. Thanks.
This thread is about Comerica Park. There's already another one about Lafayette and American.

At Sec. 129 at Cellular Field (new Comisky), they got the best Polish and regular hot dogs in baseball, hands down.

You got three choices, plain, grilled onions or raw onions. You can yell "lite" on onions too.
You add your own mustard and relish.

Best Kosher hot dog stand is Shay Stadium.
The counter guys wear yarmulkas and the food is good. You get 'attitude' for no extra charge.

Dodger Dogs are over-rated.

Cleveland Stadium Mustard is over-rated, just like anything Cleveland. They don't call it "mistake on the lake for nuthin'."

Only at Briggs Stadium with the guys serving dogs from a steam chest, with steamed bun, and mustard swabbed with a tongue depressor, has Detroit ever had a decent baseball hot dog. Please, don't get jjaba started.

jjaba, the sociology of hot dogs.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yer forgettin' the brats in Milwaukee. IMO, blows away Comiskey.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba- You are also forgetting Fenway Franks.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leo's sells Hanis at the CoPa.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cincinnati coneys are the best. mmmmm. shredded cheese...

Tripper
Username: Tripper

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd is so right...cannot see the Tigers without going upstairs for a Leo's. Jjaba is wrong...the dogs at Comisky never compared...and of course...no Pelican Mustard. I lived there 20 years and went every time the Tigers played. Jjaba...I think I have given you enough hints...

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, Red Pelican mustard....sniff, sniff......sob!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4606
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister what are you sobbing about? Deutschland makes the best "senf" in the world... the kind that goes with the Weisswurst.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5380
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tripper, welcome to The Forum. jjaba loves your spirited #4 post. Next time you are at Sec. 129 at Cellular Ballpark, report in for us. Get one of each dog the way you like it. After your report, jjaba pays for the cost of the dogs.

jjaba, the sociology of baseball hotdogs.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5381
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about Sec. 129 at Cellular Field, you can buy a beer, a dog, and take a piss between innings without missing a pitch.

Advise jjaba. If you go to Leo's at Comerica, can you watch the game while you wait in line or eat your dog?

jjaba.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I come originally from out of state,,,I do like Laf' Coney over American...But the thing that disturbs me is that none of them offer any other kind of hotdog options/toppings. What about a sauerkraut dog, or cheese dog, heck I had a potato dog when I lived in NJ(it's a hot dog with potato cut up and its in some sauce), or a cheese dog. I like variety. Anyone know of any places that might offer hotdogs like that?

Jjaba

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to New Jersey. Some things just shouldn't be exported to Detroit. We got our own hot dogs called Coneys. Onions and mustard, ain't that enuf?

Civilprotecxtionunit346, welcome to Forum.

jjaba, Westsider.

jjaba.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha.... Actually in NJ Rutt's Hutt is one of the top rated hotdog places in the US....It's been shown on the food network. They usually run stuff about hotdog places around summer time on there network. Ive been to Coney Island NY...That's where Nathan's Hot Dogs originated from. I just crave something diffrent then just a chilli dog w/onions & mustard, or a plain dog with mustard. Yeah and I love brown mustard.... I got nothing against yellow mustard...just that yellow lacks in the taste department. Wouldn't you like a cheese dog or a chilli dog with onions mustard & cheese.

(Message edited by Civilprotectionunit4346 on June 20, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-If you mean those disgustingly fatty sausages from "down there" with that sweet mustard, fageddaboutit. Otherwise the sausages are top and a huge variety to select from, but the mustard prize goes to the (teeth gritting) French. But even the best isn`t enough if the greek "chili" sauce isn`t gracing it.:-(

Besides the fact that no other mustard carries the memories that Red Pelican does.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couple years back I spoke to the owner of Red Pelican, he said he was maybe going to start producing again, but I guess that didn't pan out. Ate at the Cadieux Cafe awhile back, they were serving mustard out of Red Pelican jars, not sure if it was RP mustard in there, but it was good. Anybody else ever notice this at Cadiuex?"

Stromberg2, grilling dogs tonight.

Michmeister

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Korean cuisine? :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4637
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Michmeister I'm talking about the white veal sausages, which surprisingly have much less fat content than the fat laden 600 calorie pork sausages found from Thüringen to Nürnberg. Although those pork sausages from Coburg are my all time favorite in the world (roasted over pine cones)!!

As the upper Bavarians would say "Weisswurst lebt wohl!"

Jjaba

Post Number: 5385
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba didn't exactly jes fall offa turnip truck, he's been to Coney Island and Nathan's there, in Times Square, and on the Ohio Turnpike.
Try asking them for a "Coney dog" and you'll realize Detroit invented Coney Island hotdogs.
Nathan's will look at you like you're from Outer Space, or talking German like Gistok.

Nathan's Coney Island has no atmosphere, except watching the Black Limos who pull up, and out jump some thug with gold chains on, to get a bag of food.

jjaba, at Lafayette, order up, two on one, one loose, onions.
No Coke, Vernors.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a cheesy weiney?
Bacon wrapped around cheese stuffed hot dog.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A one half cent three county tax (Oakland, Wayne, Macomb) sales tax on coney dogs will pay for a regional mass transit system with light rail. But, first we must change the State (NOT federal) constitution first to allow these new taxes. The state gas tax raises $300 Million per year for mass transit but this tax is now defunct and must be replaced. --- NOT

Vote NO next August 2010 to defeat the SMART property tax renewal and protect your rights to state and federal transit funds.

The Livonia opt out of SMART is racial discrimination.

Only the white bus passengers were allowed to vote was one reason. Another reason is that SMART signed the illegal DARTA agreement which violated union agreements AND rejected state funds to pay for operating costs.

The vote was rigged and designed to abolish SMART in Livonia specifically to raise matching funds for federal grants to expand roads and rail service.

So, the next time you eat a hot dog or any fast food, remember SMART, DDOT and uncle Kwame.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst Brat I've ever had was at Ford Field (home of the Ford Field Fuckup's) Highly overpriced, they are too cheap to offer onions or kraut. Only a "vanilla" brand of yellow mustard. I will never darken the door of Ford Field. Biggest ripoff in Detroit sports.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.