Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Foreclosures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Detroit is home to FOUR of the top ten ZIP codes for foreclosures in the last three months.
As a proud resident of 48224, I get a sick feeling in my stomach seeing that many filings in my neighborhood.
That said, I'm pleased to see how a lot of the empty properties around me have their grass cut and litter picked up semi-regularly. Some neighbors have "adopted" nearby houses (including me).
How's everyone else doing?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is news to us all.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although my area is not in the top zip codes, i am still noticing a lot of foreclosures, and when it comes time, I do mow the front lawn and I always check to make sure that the house is secure because the repo next to me just went up for sale and I hope it sells!

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48219 - My grandma and uncle still live there on Faust, just off Seven Mile. Pretty crummy neighborhood, but it was so nice in the 70's. So sad to see what it's become. I wish they would get the heck out of there.

~Liza

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48219 was an old one for me too. Rosemont just north of 7 Mile in the early 80s.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're keeping score of where the foreclosures are, here is a map of Detroit zip codes: http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/it sd/gis/GIS_mappg_zipcode.htm

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in 48228, there are empty houses across from me (two), next to me (one), and two behind me.

I have recently noticed a great deal of activity at a couple of these homes in order to get them back on the market or rented. It makes me feel somewhat safer, but I won't feel safe until the homes are full.

What makes 'adoption' difficult is the lack of bulk pick-up days. The alleys seem to get full of junk faster than you can get the stuff onto the curb.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those in the 48219, off 7 Mile, I was on Harlow and Cambridge (mother's still there). It is 48235, but just across Southfield Fwy from you guys.

As for the foreclosures, I am a bankruptcy attorney. I regularly assist people whose homes are set for foreclosure (about 80% of my practice). Most of my clients have experienced one of the following scenarios precipitating a foreclosure: interest rate adjustments, lay off/termination, illness, or divorce. I turn away a good number of people who simply cannot afford their homes anymore. The worst is when there are children in the home who don't understand having to leave their neighborhoods, friends, schools, etc. Very sad situations.

Ron

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a coincidence Detroitplanner. I too live in 48228 and have 2 empty houses next to me and one next door, and I hope it stays that way. I'll take that any day over renters who could care less or the dope man. Where are the people who are just everyday WORKING AT LEGITIMATE JOBS kind of folks and what can we do to attract them to our neighborhood? In the house next door to me the people had the house up for sale for well over a year and after no buyers just dumped it. There was no loss of job or illness or anything like that. They walked away, plain and simple. And in talking to people in this neighborhood it is happening regularly. People want to leave that bad, enough to wreck their credit and deal with the consequences of doing that. Many of these neighborhoods were very nice in the 70s, 80s, and even the 90s. Where I once lived on Fielding off of Joy Road it was a beautiful place. I just drove by there the other day and it is on its way to being the runaway trainwreck that is the state of plenty neighborhoods. I saw this one house that really pissed me off. Its on Fielding about 6-8 houses south of Tireman on the east side of the street. Whoever this person was who lived there in the 90s was a fantastic gardner, this yard looked like something out of a horticultural magazine. Not the case today, it is neglected and overgrown and just wasted, like the house, destroyed. I have a question. That house sold more than likely for lets say a good 90 or 100 grand. Why would someone pay that kind of money just to destroy and not take care of it? Sorry for the rant, but I do feel a little better now.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess 20 million illegals draining the system have nothing at all to do with this either huh?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really, no.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh really , yea it does

Charlie
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect things to get worse before they get better. The Detroit real estate market in many neighborhoods has been artificially supported by flipping, sub-prime lending and no small amount of loan fraud for several years. The meltdown of the sub-prime market is already having serious repercussions and will, in my opinion, lead to a literal depression in the inner city market in the short term.

Real estate, like nearly every other economic category, is cyclical so it will level out and grow again so this is not a "doom & gloom" rant. Regardless, buckle up because it is going to be a rough ride.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The disaster cited by Hutt isn't uncommon in 48223. The problem is a lack of self-respect as well as respect for the community. Somewhere along the way thinking has changed. It does not take a village to raise a kid, and it does not take a village to keep one's property clean and in order.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does illegal immigration cause foreclosures? Look around Southwest Detroit and see the families moving in and then buying and fixing up property.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.